Second Guesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

No changes

I spent so much time thinking about what kind of boat I wanted, that when I found my boat, I couldn't believe my good luck. Of course I had heard of Oday, but I had never been on one, let alone on the 23. It had all of the features I was looking for (separate cabin for the head, anchor locker on deck, keel/centerboard configuration, bow and stern pulpits, all in under 25'), and when I found one in great condition in my price range, I was sold. The boat has met my expectations and is perfect for my area (LI Sound) and my uses (day sailing with the occasional overnight).

J

Julie

I should have named her Tuition

I bought a C-27 and I should have named her Tuition. As the education has cost me and taught me a lot. I have had the usual problems of rotting bulkheads, corroded gate valves weird wiring and leaking windows. That being said she is a good sailing boat and with a 4' draft and outboard she can slide into a lot of places the big girls can't. As I have learned about her I have learned about myself and what I would like in comparison to the C-27. I would like wider bunks, what were they thinking with the port bunk in the C-27? The V berth is only good for little people and the galley is to small,the sink is usless as is the ice box. There is no anchor locker so what do you do with the anchor rode? Getting the outboard horizontal while sailing is a trick I have yet to learn. Yet, I can go sailing in a breeze, make lunch in the galley including a hot lunch. The starboard bunks are long enough if one doesn't get that crowded felling in the quarter berth. She does cost less to haul,berth,paint or insure. But, once I learn my lessons we will part company and move on. Some you keep, some you don't.

K

Kurt

What to do? Help me sailors.

I have lived on my Hunter 33 for eight years and love her. Ive found most live aboard boats to be very well maintained and far less negleted that the 90% that go nowhere. Anyway, I have recently purchased a Eastward Ho 31 that I had planned on restoring to sell, however this could be a great boat to sail the keys and bahamas in. Not sure if I should change over or not. If anyone knows anything about Eastward Ho let me know. captinkurt2002@yahoo.com. Thanks

R

Ray

Hunter 306 (replaced the 290)

My Hunter 306 was the best thing I ever did. This boat has been the perfect cruiser for my small family. No trouble. Inexpensive to own. Fast for the club races. What a great value!

D

Dave Humphreys

A Mid-Thirties Winner

As a sailor of several decades I have always had used boats. Racing was a big part of my sailing in my earlier days. PHRF (Ranger 26) and one design (J-30). Cruising was secondary but always a consideration. My needs as I approach retirement were for a mid-thirties boat that had good cruising amenities, a turn of speed for beer casn races, and the ability to endure any weather (some ocean duty). A very deliberate process of assessing what my budget could buy in the mid-thirty foot range led me to the Beneteau 331. Now in her second season there are no disappointments. She is fast, a good cruiser, and takes heavy weather well with her blue water CE-A rating. Dealer service, Annapolis Yacht Services, has been excellent on the "niggling" stuff and service has probably made the difference.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Williamsburg, VA
She's a Keeper

10 years ago when I bought my Cherubini Hunter (1982 H-30)I was concerned she might not be what I was looking for, but the price was right and the boat was in good shape. Now I know I made the right choice - She is stable and sound, sails dry, can handle weather, and never leaves you in a lurch. Oh, I have had to do some maintenence to her, but no major systems (water, engine, electricity, etc) have ever quit working and she keeps on sailing while others are on the hard!! She's quite a boat, perfect for the Chesapeake where I sail, and I'd buy another just like her in a heartbeat!! See you on the water!

May 25, 2004
Hunter 376 Chesapeake, VA
Our Hunter 376 fits us just fine

We learned on a Hunter 31 and moved up to our 376 last year. We are very pleased with the performance, interior space, and ease of maintenance. So...from here at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, the boat fits our lifestyle and budget...so no complaints! ...Larry... "Sandy Sea"

MikeyB

May 19, 2004
- - Slidell
We'd go bigger

With all factors being the same, we would definitely go bigger. Our h34 is a great boat for the two of us and we have just recently moved aboard so the transition to a bigger vessel would be significant. However he h34 has been a wonderful yacht. But like any guy I want a bigger boat, a 45 or 47DS would be my preference.

Jun 4, 2004
- - -
What about for live-aboards?

I like to see the same question posed to live-aboards. Is your current boat the right size, too small, larger than you need?

A

agolden

What about for live-aboards?

There is an article in June issue of either Sail or CW that interviews live-aboards and asked this very question.

E

ex-admin

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending June 6, 2004" If I had it to do over again, I'd buy: 48% The same boat  35% A larger boat  06% A smaller boat  11% A similar sized boat either newer and/or from a different designer and builder 1,221 owners responding

Status
Not open for further replies.