Second Guesses

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeffrey

Oceanis 400

Yes we would buy our Oceanis 400 again. Sails Great, comfortable, safe and sea worthy.

C

Charlie

Almost Perfect S-2

My S-2 27 is 'almost perfect' for the Chesapeake Bay and for my sailing opportunities. She draws 4' 9" and that's a bit too much for many places in the Bay, but it has allowed me to chart many of the shoals around the Bay. She's a bit short on storage for personal stuff, but is quick and very seaworthy. For my next boat I plan to look for a head with a separate shower.

S

Stu Mills

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I first sailed a Cat 30 in San Diego Harbor and decided then and there that I had to have one. Have not regretted that decision yet, in spite of having to deal with previous owners years of half-assed fixes and installations. Hope to pass her on to one of the family crew waiting for my ultimate final voyage.

J

Janet

C-320 a beauty

We are beginning our third season on our 2002 Catalina 320, fin keel. For cruising comfort and maneuverability, weekending aboard at the YC or club and distance racing, it offers a very flexible platform. We can sail it as a couple easily. Plus, it loads aboard a number of folks for entertaining. We have replaced the factory main and jib with performance sails, added some Garhauer sail-handling hardware and made a few cabin changes. Love this model, think highly of our dealer -- Sail Place in Michigan. Rate Catalina highly. JMM

M

Mark

Yeh

Purchased a Hunter 260. Sails great, just perfect for protected water bareboat charter and I would like to buy another three of them. BUT Trying to get one of these into survey in Western Australia is impossible unless I can get more help from Hunter marine.

R

Randy

Bigger is better for me!

I guess I'm spoiled... too much time on a stout boat (Moody 36 Diesel Salon with inside helm). My purchase of an older Mac 26S was enough to get me back into sailing, but it's not enough boat for real comfort. I'm looking for something large enough that I'm comfortable inside (I need 6'2" headroom) as well as have enough lateral and general stability to comfortably bring aboard guests who haven't had much or any sailing experience. I still want to share sailing with friends and family. Next time, it'll be at least a 30' boat with (hopefully) diesel power and pedestal steering. Currently looking for a 30'+ older (80's vintage would be fine) sailboat for my own comfort level. Anyone from the midwest (Kansas City area) with such a boat (not too much $) is welcome to contact me. Thanks and good sailing to all!

H

Harley Nygren

Newport 30

My 1974 Newport 30 is perfect for my uses. It is simple, fast, roomy, very stable, has shoal draft, full headroom and no fatal defects. It singlehandswith ease, is a great weekender or big day-sailor. It is maintainable, and is no budget buster. Besides, the insurance is very reasonable. I lucked out. Regards, Harley

M

MMM

Go bigger or what you know you want

I like my boat but I always wanted and planned for a bigger version. Grabbed this one on opportunity while raising money for the bigger one. In hind sight I don't get out with it as much as I would like so I should have stuck with a club until I could get what I wanted.

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
Hear it from a Utahn: polygamy works for me!

That's to say: as long as one of the two women is my gorgeous high school sweetheart of 45 years ago and the other is our 14-year old, leggy H43 which listens (at least most of the time) to the name "Rivendel II". The three of us have had a lot of fun together and are still "at it" after all these years. The most severe rig or hull damage Rivvie ever sustained during 40,000 NM, much of it bluewater, were three broken sail slides. She has truly been a lucky vessel and a great companion. Let's just hope and pray Hunter still builds um like that...... Flying Dutchman

May 24, 2004
Ericson E-23 Smith Mt. Lake
Vikings don't need no stinkin' standing headroom

Why do you think they wear those helmets? My Ericson 23 was made for me - easy to singlehand, competitive in races, 360 degree visibility from the cockpit, beautiful lines, solidly built, and it cost less than some guys' sails. Just don't forget to duck when going below.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Good point Bob...

From what I understand their holding tanks were small and their GPS units wouldn't even plot! :)

J

john spera

f**# NO

no support from the company I can't even get a sheet from the linen package exchanged witout Frank butler personaly inspecting his company' own mistake 350.00 dollars for two sts of sheets that dont fit. the company does not return calls or e-mails, buy a HUNTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
Ah I love my Oyster...what a beauty, all 56 feet..

Well, at least in my dreams I own one and I know I have no regrets. However, I wake up to my Hunter...and I have no regrets either. (it is nice to dream) Abe

M

Malcolm

Hunter Survey

Just saw your email re getting Hunter's into survey.....apparently Hunter announced a few days ago that it had achieved BV survey approval for its new designs and is getting specific model approval for its 33, 41 and 44. This will allow them to be used in charter market in Sydney (which I gather is one of the toughest markets). We are presently looking at buying a 44DS in survey. Matt Hayes might be able to help you on matt@sydneybysail.com

D

Dave Slepoy

My C-28

My C-28 is my dream boat...It has all the features I was looking for and after 3 years only 1 drawback,,access to the rear berth is tight, BUT the rest of the boat is fantastic. I have been on many a boat from 18 to 60 foot and MY C-28 still has the most to offer.

M

Mike C

hip,hip o'day

for a number of years, I sailed with a good friend on his Catalina 22. I loved sailing and began to get a good feel for his boat, but as I sailed more, I found things that I didn't like ( swing keel, wire hum, a bit tender) and then I sailed on a friend's O"Day 22. I fell in love with it. I was able to find a neglected 22 and proceeded to refit her over the past 3 years. She was a good boat to me and I learned a wealth of knowledge on her. I liked her shoal draft (to go places not to sail) I lked her sail plan and the way she sailed. She was stiff in a breeze and got me through storms. She had a decent cabin for a 22 footer with head, sink, storage. If I had to do it again, I would buy the same boat to learn to sail on. Now I have moved up to a bigger O'Day, but I satill think about my 22.

B

Bob Lee

Second guess...?

I'm staring my second season with the South Wind...a Pearson 31-2 that we bought last August. The South Wind is our first sailboat and I have to admit that every time we head out, we learn more about sailing. Over the winter we learned more about the physical boat. One of the lessons we learened last season was not to trust the broker as much as we did. The sign that sat on the commode in the head warning us not to flush as it was winterized really meant not to flush because we'd discover that the head needed to be replaced. We love the boat...though we both wish there was a little more room in the cockpit. Would we pay the same money for another boat? Not willingly. Sure, there are newer and fancier boats out there that we both look at and think "Someday..." but for where we are now, we've got what we consider to be the best boat. We're taking good care of her and as a result, she sails well AND we get plenty of compliments from other owners...all of whom are surprised that she's 17 years old!

E

Ellis David Hay

Why Change !

Why change when you like what you have found...I'm comfortable with what I have... I'm a cruising sailor... Very little wood to varnish... Very forgiving when my attention wavers, " MOTHER NATURE " changes her plans and or MURPHY'S LAW comes aboard... I don't have a head or a mess to keep shipshape... The housekeekeeping I do is acceptable to " THE CAPTAINS " standards...

J

Jack Metzel

Changed my life.

I've owned AT LAST since 1979. No other boat has the qualities of my 1445 model (swing keel, standard rig). No other boat its size can match my lifestyle needs: Racing PHRF and one design, trailering yearly with www.trailersailors.org, and just messing around making my 25 better every day. AT LAST changed my life.

T

T. Rudy

Remnds me of U.S automakers inthe 70s

The quality control and customer service of Catalina reminds me of the U.S. automakers in the 70s. Can we get Toyota and Honda to get in the sailboat business?

Status
Not open for further replies.