Seaward Water Heater Again !

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
It seems like I just wrote about this…yesterday…but it was 2 years 63 days ago, to be exact.
My New, Seaward 6 gallon Water Heater has developed a leak. It’s somewhere in the tank, as the lines to and from it are all secure and dry.
Really…the warranty is 2 years and I’m 63 days past it! I first noticed it by the short burst from the water pump sound.
The Seaward 600 6 gallon unit just fits on my 2000 340. I need a rear heat exchanger for the engine connections.
The original Seaward lasted 15 years, this one makes the 3rd I’ve had to install. It’s drained dry in the winter and blown out.
It‘s possible that the original unit, when I bought the boat new in 2000, was stainless steel, but I can‘t be sure of that now.
So, what other water heaters are you using and having “reasonably” good time frames in life expectancy?
My dimensions fit a 13”W x 13”H x 19”D size unit. I could possibly go with a little longer in depth but the width and height are snug now.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I think all are an aluminum interior tank and that the exterior is the only difference in materials. I have replaced three in 30 years on two boats FWIW. All were internal leakages. I assume you believe it is the HW heater since there is water under it? In other words, it isn't the pressure sensor on the water pump, right? If you know it is the HW heater, I'd first contact Seaward to ask for a warranty extension given the short time out of the termination. Good luck!
Copy 4.jpg
Copy 3.jpg
Copy 4.jpgCopy 3.jpg

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
I pulled out a similar Atwood from my boat last year that was leaking when I purchased it (the one thing the sellers actually managed to disclose). Replaced it with an Isotemp with a stainless tank (yours is aluminum I believe) which had great reviews.
I've gone through a full season so far and no issues.

I believe they make different configurations as well and worst case you can always snake tubing around the base or on top of the unit due to the round cross section.

Sep 26, 2008
Rick, It’s the tank. I’ve had my other Seaward apart like you show in your pictures. Just to see where they leaked from. This time the water is in the back right corner and seeping out. It’s definitely water, as it was hot and not colored with antifreeze (in my case yellow). And it wasn’t winterizing antifreeze (pink). I thought it might be some had gotten in the casing and found its way out after all this time (spring commissioning). But no such luck.
I did reach out to Seaward and waiting to hear back.
It’s just frustrating.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I have good results with an IsoTemp SPA water heater (one that @BOSSailor mentioned). Mine is smaller (15 l), but they have various configurations and sizes. It has the SS tank and it comes with the temperature regulating valve.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Your boat, your choice. If it were my boat I would describe the circumstances to the maker, then press them for a warranty replacement. Replaced our original 1991 Seward aluminum tank version with same five years ago and no issues. Ours was not leaking, but was close to end of life. We had a leak that I thought was the tank, but it turned out to be a broken fitting elsewhere in the boat. Ended up getting $100 for the old tank.

We've never winterized our boat or water system, so unsure whether that makes a difference. I consider Seward a good brand and would expect them to stand by their product even though the warranty period has expired.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Maybe I'll head NW?
Howdy Ward. No go northwest young man, no go northwest. As we say here, sun never shines, always rains, wind nowhere to be found. He he. Belle-Vie beckons four season sailing.

Sep 26, 2008
I'm just waiting to hear back from Seaward, Terry...
I was so mad at this happening again I sent out my email to Seaward. Only to find it was another company. But a very nice guy there named Donovan redirected me to the real Seaward.
So I'm still waiting to hear back and wherever Donovan is...Good Karma To Him.
In the mean time I'll go look at the Isotemp. Do they have rear heat exchangers also?

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
Let me second (third?) the praise for the IsoTemp SPA. I replaced my old Seaward heater with one, bought on sale from Fisheries Supply, two years ago. It's given not a moment's trouble, it heats water faster, and it fits in the locker better.

May 19, 2020
Hunter 30-2 Quincy
Off the top of my head I don't believe they have rear heat exchangers which is what mine was before I replaced it.

I ran new hoses to the engine and simply extended them a bit so they could reach the front of the water heater. No issues at all.

Sep 26, 2008
Sailboat.Sequoyah, BoSSailor, do you have photos of your installation?
I only have 13 inches of head space under my settee seat top. I could router out some of the seat structure to gain maybe an inch or less, but I'm hesitant to do that as it would put someone's full weight on the top of the heater.
Any photos you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Apr 11, 2018
Hunter 340 Dowry Creek, NC
Sailboat.Sequoyah, BoSSailor, do you have photos of your installation?
I only have 13 inches of head space under my settee seat top. I could router out some of the seat structure to gain maybe an inch or less, but I'm hesitant to do that as it would put someone's full weight on the top of the heater.
Any photos you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I regret I can't for a week or two, having been tied down inland with the sale of a house and moving to another. Poor Sequoyah is neglected and lonely at present. I can say, though, that she has the same headroom limitation of about 13". The old Seaward bumped the hatch of the salon table bench, actually holding it a little bit high. The IsoTemp gives it maybe half an inch of space.

As BoSSailor reports, the heat exchanger hoses have to be run to the front of the heater. That wasn't a problem for me because mine needed replacing anyway, so I just put in slightly longer ones.

I'll get you a couple of pictures when I make it back aboard. If I can remember to ;>)

Sep 26, 2008
I can wait. This tank isn't going anywhere soon, at least until winter layover. And if it's any indication, I received email from Seaward asking if I reached out to where I bought it. And email where I bought asking if I reached out to Seaward.
So, I have time, at this rate.

• Wow
Sep 26, 2008
I did hear back from Seaward. They want photos of the area that may be causing the leak. If they find it to be a manufacturers defect then they may want me to send it back to them or they may just issue a replacement.
So as it stands, given the amount of work to just remove the covering, and photograph it, if it can be seen, they are willing to wait until I can get that done.
This was before we just got the forecast of Hurricane Henri coming right at us here this weekend.
Now I‘m in hurricane prep mode.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Most of the Isotemp heaters are round (i.e. barrel). If i am not mistaken your original heater is rectangular. The Isotemp heater would leave enough space for you to run the hoses either along the bottom or along the top.