Seaward 25 question

Oct 19, 2019
Seaward 25 Charleston
I am considering purchasing a 1993 Seaward 25, and ran across the following issue in the area under the companionway steps. The owner says it was like this when he bought it a year ago. Any idea what may have caused it and how big an issue it is?

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is that a wooden bulkhead with peeling paint? I take it, the junk is just bilge detritus and can be vacuumed out.
The peeling paint over wet wood means rot, to me. It doesn't mean all is lost, but attention needs to be paid to proper repairs.
Clean it off, cut out the rot, kill the fungus with bleach, dry thoroughly with heat and fan, fill with glass and epoxy and paint with epoxy-based barrier paint.
If it's extensive, replace the bulkhead.
Time consuming, but not difficult, if there aren't other issues to consider.

The Seaward has a great reputation.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2019
Seaward 25 Charleston
Thank you, Will. It's the area where an inboard engine would go (this boat has an outboard). The white that is peeling is actually fiberglass. A previous owner had tried to repair this with a bad job of re-fiberglassing. I believe that the issue is that the traveller, which is above this area, is leaking and needs to be reseated. No problem, I can do that - I'm just trying to make sure that the issue isn't structural. I don't think it is, but just getting other opinions.

Another question, is there a dedicated Seaward sailboat owners forum anywhere? I used to own Com Pac Yachts, and there was a great owners forum for those boats. Can't seem to find one for Seaward.

Thanks,
Ralph

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Resail19,
Welcome to the SBO forums. Glad I could welcome you to this incredible site. There is decades upon decades of experience here to help and I'm sure plenty with Seaward experience. All are willing to help.
I don't know about the Seaward forums. I would be surprised if there wasn't one, but I am familiar with how popular and active the ComPac forum is. Clark Mills was an old family friend and one of his last boats built was a modified ComPac 16 he built for my father. They are great boats built by a company with a great reputation.
Seawards are expensive compared to ComPacs, Catalinas, Hunters, ... so less popular for that reason alone.
You might repost your question as a more general problem that many with the expertise to answer might chime in on, but won't even click on a question that seems specific to Seawards. Your question might be addressed equally well by any experienced glass boat owner. However, providing more pictures and context would be required to allow for a fuller understanding of where it is on the boat and what kind of underlying problems it could present.
I clicked on your question because I like Seawards, but I know nothing about them personally.

Again, welcome aboards.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Thank you, Will. It's the area where an inboard engine would go (this boat has an outboard). The white that is peeling is actually fiberglass. A previous owner had tried to repair this with a bad job of re-fiberglassing. I believe that the issue is that the traveller, which is above this area, is leaking and needs to be reseated. No problem, I can do that - I'm just trying to make sure that the issue isn't structural. I don't think it is, but just getting other opinions.

Another question, is there a dedicated Seaward sailboat owners forum anywhere? I used to own Com Pac Yachts, and there was a great owners forum for those boats. Can't seem to find one for Seaward.

Thanks,
Ralph

Hey Ralph. Here is a link to a Seaward forum site. Unfortunately, nowhere near as active as the Catalina site.

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Resail19,
Welcome to the SBO forums. Glad I could welcome you to this incredible site. There is decades upon decades of experience here to help and I'm sure plenty with Seaward experience. All are willing to help.
I don't know about the Seaward forums. I would be surprised if there wasn't one, but I am familiar with how popular and active the ComPac forum is. Clark Mills was an old family friend and one of his last boats built was a modified ComPac 16 he built for my father. They are great boats built by a company with a great reputation.
Seawards are expensive compared to ComPacs, Catalinas, Hunters, ... so less popular for that reason alone.
You might repost your question as a more general problem that many with the expertise to answer might chime in on, but won't even click on a question that seems specific to Seawards. Your question might be addressed equally well by any experienced glass boat owner. However, providing more pictures and context would be required to allow for a fuller understanding of where it is on the boat and what kind of underlying problems it could present.
I clicked on your question because I like Seawards, but I know nothing about them personally.

Again, welcome aboards.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Hi Will.... would it be possible to add a Seaward section to the brand-specific area of the Forum? This is a lively and pretty comprehensive forum, and Seaward is not exactly a rare boat, so it seems to be something of an oversight not having a section specific to a make that is still strong after close to half a century as a manufacturer.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hi Will.... would it be possible to add a Seaward section to the brand-specific area of the Forum? This is a lively and pretty comprehensive forum, and Seaward is not exactly a rare boat, so it seems to be something of an oversight not having a section specific to a make that is still strong after close to half a century as a manufacturer.
This question would best be asked of @BrianD or @Phil Herring. They will both have a good idea of how active Seaward owners are on SBO and have the ability to create a forum for them.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Diving in here. Welcome to @Resail19you come from a beautiful sailing port.
I would think that a Seaward 25 would be a fun boat to have on the river and bay.

This info on Seaward has been in transition...
Hake Yachts (Seaward)
www.seawardyachts.com
1973 -

Hake Yachts, Inc. was founded by Nick Hake. Hake purchased Island Packet and Blue Jacket in April 2016. Hake was subsequently purchased by Darrell and Leslie Allen in January 2017.

All manufacturing for Seaward Yachts is now done at the Island Packet manufacturing facility in Largo Florida.

1979 Wild Acres Road
Largo, Florida 33771
Original location:
4550 SE HAMPTON COURT
STUART FL 34997 USA
Parts Information - 727.535.6431

With regards to the image. It is not an unusual image for a boat that has seen 26 plus years of service and perhaps a couple of owners. You can have it surveyed, but that would be an extra cost and dependent on the the price of the boat. It does look like there has been a moisture issue. I would be looking at the hull to try and locate the source of the moisture. This could be a complex project. If you do make an offer give it some room to repair the job that the owner did not fix. "A previous owner had tried to repair this with a bad job of re-fiberglassing. I believe that the issue is that the traveller, which is above this area, is leaking and needs to be reseated. " The bad job is likely due to a lack of experience and moisture in the wood.

On to a more complicated idea,:yikes:
a Seaward section to the brand-specific area of the Forum
This is up to the Forum Administrator. If you have an active and dedicated group of boat owners and SBO users you would submit your request to the Forum Administrator.

Jul 30, 2019
Well! In fact Well, Well Well! That was quick work indeed, thank you Phil.

I shall do my best to bring some life to the Seaward section. It may take a while, since I don't yet have my Seaward 25. I have actually bought it sight unseen.

In fact, all I have done so far was to send 3 grand as a deposit to an address in Mexico where a guy lives who reckons he has a boat for sale at the extreme northern end of Vancouver Island..... Was this a sensible thing to do?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I can think of a whole bunch of reasons why not, but the whole world is upside down anyway so what the heck? I assume there was no Nigerian prince involved.

Jul 30, 2019
The guy's name is Iwo. Does that sound Nigerian?

Well, it's only money. Can't buy anything with it now anyway.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
:wow3:
Nice looking setup too. A boat designed and outfitted to go anywhere. She looks perfect.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 30, 2019
Thanks, Will. We're fond of the O'Day 20, and we'll keep her, but for the week-long trips she is too cramped. Since we move between Alberta and BC that means we will have a day-sailer in Alberta and more of a cruiser in BC...... and a bank account in the Dire Straits.