• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Seaward 25 question

Oct 19, 2019
Seaward 25 Charleston
I am considering purchasing a 1993 Seaward 25, and ran across the following issue in the area under the companionway steps. The owner says it was like this when he bought it a year ago. Any idea what may have caused it and how big an issue it is?

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is that a wooden bulkhead with peeling paint? I take it, the junk is just bilge detritus and can be vacuumed out.
The peeling paint over wet wood means rot, to me. It doesn't mean all is lost, but attention needs to be paid to proper repairs.
Clean it off, cut out the rot, kill the fungus with bleach, dry thoroughly with heat and fan, fill with glass and epoxy and paint with epoxy-based barrier paint.
If it's extensive, replace the bulkhead.
Time consuming, but not difficult, if there aren't other issues to consider.

The Seaward has a great reputation.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2019
Seaward 25 Charleston
Thank you, Will. It's the area where an inboard engine would go (this boat has an outboard). The white that is peeling is actually fiberglass. A previous owner had tried to repair this with a bad job of re-fiberglassing. I believe that the issue is that the traveller, which is above this area, is leaking and needs to be reseated. No problem, I can do that - I'm just trying to make sure that the issue isn't structural. I don't think it is, but just getting other opinions.

Another question, is there a dedicated Seaward sailboat owners forum anywhere? I used to own Com Pac Yachts, and there was a great owners forum for those boats. Can't seem to find one for Seaward.

Thanks,
Ralph

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Resail19,
Welcome to the SBO forums. Glad I could welcome you to this incredible site. There is decades upon decades of experience here to help and I'm sure plenty with Seaward experience. All are willing to help.
I don't know about the Seaward forums. I would be surprised if there wasn't one, but I am familiar with how popular and active the ComPac forum is. Clark Mills was an old family friend and one of his last boats built was a modified ComPac 16 he built for my father. They are great boats built by a company with a great reputation.
Seawards are expensive compared to ComPacs, Catalinas, Hunters, ... so less popular for that reason alone.
You might repost your question as a more general problem that many with the expertise to answer might chime in on, but won't even click on a question that seems specific to Seawards. Your question might be addressed equally well by any experienced glass boat owner. However, providing more pictures and context would be required to allow for a fuller understanding of where it is on the boat and what kind of underlying problems it could present.
I clicked on your question because I like Seawards, but I know nothing about them personally.

Again, welcome aboards.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 23, 2015
Catalina 22 MK-II Dillon, CO
Thank you, Will. It's the area where an inboard engine would go (this boat has an outboard). The white that is peeling is actually fiberglass. A previous owner had tried to repair this with a bad job of re-fiberglassing. I believe that the issue is that the traveller, which is above this area, is leaking and needs to be reseated. No problem, I can do that - I'm just trying to make sure that the issue isn't structural. I don't think it is, but just getting other opinions.

Another question, is there a dedicated Seaward sailboat owners forum anywhere? I used to own Com Pac Yachts, and there was a great owners forum for those boats. Can't seem to find one for Seaward.

Thanks,
Ralph

Hey Ralph. Here is a link to a Seaward forum site. Unfortunately, nowhere near as active as the Catalina site.