Seattle Trip..

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Next week I fly into Seattle for my friends surprise 50th. I have scheduled a few extra days to do kick around. Obviously I will stop into SBO, Fisheries, Balmar and perhaps Smart Plug but I also like good food, oysters, unique boat builders. So how about it Seattle guys what are my "can't miss em" stops while I am there. Also looking for an eclectic non-chain hotel for Thursday night....

Tips?

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Hotelwise - Edgewater is a possible. The Olympic perhaps?

Foodwise - any Anthony's will do. Duke's on Alki or at South Lake Union.

Treat yourself - you have earned it.

Charles

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Not going up to PYI (maxprop, Seaview mounts, dripless) ?

The Olympic is a nice place (Obama stayed there) but $$$$. The Edgewater might be ok (Beatles stayed there and fished out the window).

I’m into glass so the Chihuli Garden and Glass is on my list, as is the Flight Museum if you like things that fly.

If you have a couple hours a ferry ride to Bremerton and back is a great way to see the city and area from the water.

Anthony’s is having oyster month, I just had a plate of pan fried oysters yesterday for lunch there. I’ll ask my wife when she gets home, she is much better at that food and lodging than I am.

My C36 is apart for floors and engine wiring or I’d offer a sail around Hat Island.

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chihuli Garden
I’ll second Les’s Chihuli Glass exhibit. Located beneath the Seattle Needle. Next to the EMP (Esperience Music Project), now known as the “Museum of Pop Culture”. Paul Allen founded the museum and displayed his collection of Jimmy Hendrix guitars there.

It is the home of Starbucks... There is great eating at the Pikes Market. You also get to watch fish fly... I like the http://www.beechershandmadecheese.com/... Unfortunately so did Oprah and she let her stardom make the place an an attraction.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Welcome to the PNW. Rather than obsessing over my dislikes of Seattle, and there are many, rather you get out of town and head north to get a good flavor of PNW country living. You'll have a rental car, possibly, so getting around should be worth the extra time. A nice hour and a half leisurely drive north to La Conner where this small close knit community has much to offer. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...onner_Channel_Lodge-La_Conner_Washington.html

So, if hustle and bustle is your preference, then Seattle should fit you to a tee. We, on the other hand, prefer the small friendly communities that can make your stay most worthwhile. Laid back, a place to relax and gather your inner thoughts, rejuvenate, refresh. Now that is the PNW that we love.

So, if you can stay until the week of April 8th, Belle-Vie would love to welcome you aboard for a day or over nighter into the gem of the San Juans, Cypress Island. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypress_Island

What say you?

May 20, 2016
The wife recommended executive hotel pacific. For a reasonable ~100 hotel downtown near iconic Pike Street Market.

For oysters she said Taylor’s. But here is a review of the top places (Taylor’s is in there) http://www.seattlemag.com/article/best-oyster-palaces-and-raw-bars-seattle

If you need Micro Brew recommendation let us know what you like. I tend to go overboard Hoppy. Most of the wine tasting is on the Eastside in Woodenville but a couple are in Georgetown (still seattle city limits) Mercer comes to mind.

Oct 22, 2014
La Conner is a cool small Pacific NW community next to one of the key transportation waterways of the centuries. You’ll get a chance to see log rafts like in the 30’s in the channel.
Great place to stay... Katy’s http://bedandbreakfastlaconner.com/.
Place to meet locals and enjoy great food.. La Conner Pub & Eatery http://laconnertavern.com/
They have a festival pretty much every month. The tulip celebration is coming in April.
Yes La Conner is an interesting place.

May 20, 2016
More seattle hotels from Trish - my lovely travel agent spouse (recommending Seattle hotels for 35+years but now concentrating on luxury Cruises)

Hotels in Seattle
Fairmont Olympic Hotel--------Seafood for Oysters Restaurant located at this place

Hotel Max

Executive Hotel Pacific—Small quaint and close to everything in Seattle – I stay here

Kimpton Hotel Vintage Seattle

Mayflower Park Hotel Seattle----------Another place I stay – Great Bar Oliver’s

Hotel Sorrento—Lovely place and great Bar – Reminds me of Ralph Lauren décor the lounge

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
If you’re at Balmar in Arlington, you’re already over half way to the LaConner area. I’ll be hauled next week after return from NZ. You have an open invite..Ha! (Hopefully, your friend doesn’t read the forum)..

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I think you need to extend your available free time while in the PNW ... having unlimited funds would also help

dj

May 11, 2014
Catalina 310 Lake Texoma
If the weather's nice I try to find time to wander the docks of the Center for Wooden Boats with a cup of coffee at South Lake Union. Red Mill Burgers and Molly Moon's Ice Cream are Seattle gems and if you haven't had any soup dumplings, don't know what they are or need a "fix" you should consider a stop at Din Tai Fung, (three locations in the area).
Have a great stay.
Todd L.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Thanks guys! I've spent a good deal of time in the PNW but usually I am climbing, skiing, kayaking or back-country skiing. I am not a big fan of the touristy traps and prefer the local haunts. Done Pike Place and down town many times. I would ask my friend, or his wife, but neither has any idea I am coming out. This will be my first trip where I am not booked solid with climbing/skiing etc... I will have a car....

Oct 22, 2014
They have a festival pretty much every month. The tulip celebration is coming in April.
Yes La Conner is an interesting place.
That is right Justin. And the bloom is about to happen in a big way. The weather has been warm.
MARCH - Daffodils
6660408D-3DF8-4270-8DC1-11D17391EE0E.jpeg 77C23AF5-E4EF-4FD7-9B4A-F2700D20E449.jpeg
That will bring on the Tulip bloom earlier rather than later in April.
APRIL - Tulips
1ED2C8D4-07E4-4ACF-B234-0D89F7E867C5.jpeg 20BD3B0A-68DB-499A-9B9B-1D9FB52F0C53.jpeg

Nothing like a bike ride through the tulip fields.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
That is right Justin. And the bloom is about to happen in a big way. The weather has been warm. That will bring on the bloom earlier rather than later in April.
Sorry John, I missed your post. I made the event years ago when I worked for Boeing and I traveled up there from Wichita. It was chilly. I had a rental convertible Sebring, so I drove up from Renton with the top down and the heater on :)