Seat belts, motorcycle helmets... now PFDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom S

8 million per life ? How & where did that

number come from ? The correct answer should have been priceless. Its funny that a government agency gets to decide at what value a life is at, whether its lifetime earning potential or equals a "cost-benefit" to society . (Even funnier that there is no way the average government worker would ever make $8 million total in ones lifetime). Just think about how 'little' they want to compensate the average families of people that were lost on 9-11. (And many in the World Trade Center were very high earners). What about the 20 year old kid that gives his life defending what this country is all about over in the Middle East. Is the cost-benefit loss to society $8 million? Does his family get $8 million ? Sorry, I don't buy that $2.7 billion number. The role of government is getting so out of whack as to what our founder fathers had envisioned. It IS weakening our society. Yes as a society we need to change and grow with the times, but its getting way out of whack. Do we need warning labels on a bag of sand or bronze thru-hull saying there is "potential" risk of cancer if you ingest it ? (!?!) Do we need mandated warning labels on the top rung of a ladder informing us that its dangerous? (!?!) Thomas Jefferson is rolling over in his grave.

B

Bruce Colwin

H27 Seller's Bonus

As someone who's selling a sailboat over 21' -- I think it's a GREAT idea!!! :) http://home.nyc.rr.com/bcolwin/unpluggedindex.html

D

Dick Sciuto

I agree

I strongly Agree--I have been sailing for over 50 yeaqrs and was quite relaxed about it, Until I had my personal Close Call..Now I wear one as soon as I get on deck--Plus I do agree that on the smaller boats all persons should wear one at all times...There are too many nuts out on the water today.!

D

Dan Garrett

I can live with mandates for PFDs for children...

but not for adults. On small boats I usually choose to wear my auto inflator, but that's by choice, not mandate. Laws cannot replace common sense. Darwin award candidates will find a way to achieve their destiny with or without a law. In the mean time it becomes a pain in the rear for the rest of us as it give the CG just another reason to stop and board us.

D

David Faulkner

PFD's

I firmly beleive all children who cannot swim, or are under the age of 5 should always wear a PFD while aboard a boat. And depending upon the wind and wave action adults should as well. But the majority of people are fair weather sailors and to try and mandate that people wear PFDs all the time is a waste of Coast Guard resources and manpower. If some dumb ass does not want to wear a life vest in 10 foot seas with winds gusting to 30 knots... well let him or her join the bottom dwellers. Young children should be compelled to wear them at all times.

B

Bill

Seat Belts are for cars

Seat Belts are for cars. Why must we be protected from our selves every time. I ware a PFD when it is prudent, but to be told in a law that I must always ware one no matter how benign the conditions is going too far. We all should take more responsibility for our selves and keep the government out of it.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Rochester NY
Let Darwin handle it.

Anybody who hasn't got brains enough to wear a PFD in a small boat shouldn't have a boat, PFD or progeny. No more legislation, please!

J

John H.

Let natural selection decide

The current rules are just fine. If someone wants to defy mother nature and common sense then maybe they don't belong in the gene pool anyway...(pun intended).

M

Mike

Mikesailor

We don't need more cradle to the grave government interferrence. We need less. If you are stupid enough to not wear a pfd in conditions where your life could be in danger (small boats and in rough weather and when on deck)...you deserve a dunking or the gene pool deserves respite from the idiocy. We need a respite from the lunacy.

T

Tom Monroe

Gary ... I'd be interested in a quiz

... that explored the personal policies of the captains on this list. I don't want the government telling me what to do, but I'd sure be willing to listen to the advise of this forum! Tom Monroe Carlyle Lake

K

Ken

Lets see them enforce it

Seriously now, with all of the "Homeland security" issues we are dealing with these days, and with the amount of boaters on the water on a typical weekend, is the Coast Guard capable of scanning every single boat on the water for offenders? I understand the idea behind requiring PFDs but in my opinion this is a personal decision that needs to be made by each individual boater (except for children, children should always wear a preserver). When I go out on the water, it depends on the conditions I am sailing in, on where my PFD is located. If its a nice day, low chop, etc.. It sits somewhere in reach, but not on me (usually under a seat). If I'm out and the conditions change to a point where I'm not as comfortable as I would like to be, it may be put on. Usually late in the day, when the sun is going down, I'll have my crew put theirs on (wife, and friends mostly). With that, a mandatory boaters safety course is required before captaining a vessel... Maybe they should put their efforts behind revamping that course.

P

Phil Pendleton

PFD

*yks, Next they'l want us to have a skippers ticket for anything over 12 ft. It's so very easy to dictate new rules to the other guy.

C

Capt Kimo

104 Degrees Summertime on Lake Mead

I wear a belt version of the SOS PFD that is now allowed by the US Coast Guard. All passengers and crew members are issued a PFD on boarding my boat. They sized them to their body type and place them below, remembering the color and location. With the warm temperatures on the lake and close quarters in the cockpit of the Mac26X, I find it impractical and perhaps restricting movements to wear a PFD (Stearman) at all times. The USCG approved PFD's are coming out that make them more comfortable to wear at all times, even in warm weather and don't encumber the wearer. Should children and non swimmer adults wear PFD while aboard? Absolutely! However, the incident of the New York State Mac26X capsizing last year with the drowning of two children, can IMHO be traced to "Skipper Error" and not whether a PFD's were worn or not.

B

Bill

Shhhh, The insurance companies might hear us

Injuries and deaths in auto accidents, which are more severe( especially the deaths) when seatbelts are not worn, most assuredly make their way into the insurance rates we pay. Likewise, if the government starts making the wearing of PFD's mandatory then what are the chances that injuries or deaths that occur when they aren't worn will affect insurance rates for boats? Still, I'm for having a PFD at the ready but unless it's an inflatable, I don't want to have to be wearing it. I would have worded the question a bit differently though; If George W. Bush were to fall off an aircraft carrier (or hopefully have been pushed) would you want him to be wearing a PFD or not?

B

Bruce Leidal

Have been waring for 10+ years

I know it is the big brother thing, however, ten years ago I purchased my current boat and sail it on Lake Huron. I purchased inflatables that are on a belt pouch and everyone on my boat wares them. They are like seat belts. They are small, cool and don't get in the way. Seems like a smart thing to me... Bruce

M

Mike

Think before shooting

Under 21 feet should be the first clue. What percentage of these deaths are from drunken fishermen or PWC riders? What are the numbers for larger boats or power vs sail?

R

Roger Smith

Mr

I think we should be left to our own decisions as long as they don't harm others

P

Paul Michaelis

Save us from our protectors!

Frankly, I am tired of the "Safety Nazis" forcing the majority to do what the stupid minority won't do. I wear flotation and require my guests to do so when necessary. What I don't need is "big brother" setting my standards. When you look at all that our government has done to "protect" us it makes me wonder how humanity made it this far. We have ABS brakes on automobiles, but most drivers don't know how to use them, We have firearms laws that apply to all, but the bad guys don't respect laws, We have DWI laws that can't stop drinking and driving and the list goes on.... What this represents is yet another reason to regulate the law-abiding and claim that we are being protected. Let the laws of natural selection work, eventually the stupidity will be eliminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.