Searching for my 40 O'Day stolen from Sandusky Harbor Marina

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Among other things this part puzzles me. Usually a grounding damages the bottom of the boat, not the top?
A hard grounding can have wide repercussions all the way to the top of the mast, extending from there to the stern and bow chain plates. After all, the whole boat is in motion, then just stops.

-Will

Nov 8, 2021
O'Day O'Day 40 Sandusky
It was a beautiful boat, first owner was an older gentleman that did not use it much but kept very good care of it, second owner was a customer of mine at the Bridge Docks in Rocky River, OH, renamed Rocky River Marina. He told me about his boat being totaled so I went out to look at it and put a bid in and ended up owning it, never put title in my name because I was fixing hull. Lots of family medical issues happened and when that was all over was when I found out the new management of the marina had sold the boat at auction. I didn't even know it happened, they were tight lipped. I reported it to the State of Ohio Attorney, thats when I found out the facts. Why I was fixing the hull? Well, a year earlier the boat was at Edgewater Marina and had a dock pole wear a hole thru the outer skin during a storm and water infiltrated the starboard side. It ended up being an insurance job gone bad so it was totaled. I will attach my work doing repair. Big area delaminated so removed big area and used epoxy and new 3/4" Balsa.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
had a dock pole wear a hole thru the outer skin during a storm and water infiltrated the starboard side.
The dock pole wore a hole in the bottom, below the waterline?

That looks like a major repair. You obviously had a lot invested in her.

-Will

Nov 8, 2021
O'Day O'Day 40 Sandusky
I sounded the hull and just repaired where needed. Pole was rubbing higher and water ran in thru balsa core, insurance had marina dry by cutting slits and gave it time to dry, then they relaid glass over. This all happened to Tracey, previous owner. He complained that it was not smooth enough so they blocked it out perfect and put a slippery bottom paint. In the spring when taking out of indoor heated storage he saw water weeping in two spots, thats when the insurance totaled it and wrote him a big check.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Welcome to the forum!!

I am so sorry to hear this. If you have not already done so, contact all the marinas and boat yards in your surrounding area to be on the lookout for a 40 O'Day. Also contact your insurance company and USCG documentationn center or state registraion department to let them know. Finally, contaxct these guys and have your sailboat added to their database Stolen Boat Database Search| MarineTitle.com.

If the thief trys to lease a berth he/she will be caught red-handed since marinas require proof of ownership (USCG documentation or state registration) to lease a berth. Hoping for a good outcome.
I have extensively cruised the Great Lakes for 50 years and stayed at countless marinas and yacht clubs. None have ever asked for proof of ownership.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I have extensively cruised the Great Lakes for 50 years and stayed at countless marinas and yacht clubs. None have ever asked for proof of ownership.
Interesting - nor have i been asked in the Great Lakes, but have been asked in pretty much all foreign ports I've entered. Not that it matters in this conversation...

dj

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
How on earth would you prove your ownership with the documents you would generally carry? The only thing I could imagine would be insurance documentation.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Why would a marina want you to prove ownership? Motels/Hotels, parking garages don't ask for proof of ownership of vehicles. Everyone has an ID and a registration number. If there is anything to be done by an authority, the marine patrol, fish and game, or the coast guard, should have the means to make the ownership connection with those two pieces of information.

Insurance requirements by a marina makes more sense.

-Will

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
How on earth would you prove your ownership with the documents you would generally carry? The only thing I could imagine would be insurance documentation.
USCG documentation shows ownership. Coupled with my passport. Totally covered.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Why would a marina want you to prove ownership? [Snip]

Insurance requirements by a marina makes more sense.

-Will
Coming into a foreign port they want to know ownership to be sure you didn't steal the boat. If the owner is not on board - they will require documentation that the Captain has the owners permission to be where they are. There are numerous horror stories of boats that have been moved without owners permission...

Insurance is also a mandatory document in marinas. As you point out.

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Coming into a foreign port they want to know ownership to be sure you didn't steal the boat. If the owner is not on board
Sure, but then, who's asking, the marina or customs and immigration? The enforcing authority is not usually the marina.

-Will

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Sure, but then, who's asking, the marina or customs and immigration? The enforcing authority is not usually the marina.

-Will
Customs and immigration typically. To that point, marinas typically only want your insurance documents. Most often I've been dealing with all three at the same time, if I'm dealing with a marina....

dj