seal off unused thru hulls: Epoxy or Polyester?

May 8, 2014
sailboat about 37' SE US
I'm going to remove some thru hulls (all below water line) and seal the holes.
1982 pearson 367.

I plan on grinding a 15:1 bevel around hole, then layering mat and cloth until the hole is filled up.

I am unsure of which resin to use, epoxy or polyester.

I know epoxy has better bonding characteristic than polyester.

i've read that polyester and epoxy curing agents cause blisters (maybe only when moisture is present?).

Which resin should be used to fill in old thru hulls on a polyester hull?

Thanks

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i like epoxy my self i use west system ...i have been told or heard that polyester does not bond as well when doing work like this but in the back of my mind i cant help but wonder what they did before west system

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I would stick with polyester.. it is what the hull is made of and if you were to take it to a professional that is what they would use...

if you were gluing a plug or fitting into the hole, I would agree that epoxy is the proper adhesive, but for actually grinding, filling and fairing with cloth/roving, polyester is much faster product to work with and will hold every thing that it will ever be subjected to.

I will agree epoxy is stronger than polyester when everything else is equal, but polyester will stick as good as polyester sticks, and i can only assume that the rest of the boat isnt coming apart yet, so it must be good enough:D... they have been using it for many years now with good results.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I'd go with epoxy for superior bond strength in a secondary bonding application. WEST is really good but I have also used MAS epoxy and have been happy with it. If you have the room apply glass to both sides of the hole and overlap the hole by a wide morgin on the interior side, this will give you peace of mind as the greater the surface area the greater the strength. You are not dealing with a very high pressure and the surface area of the hole is pretty small. If the hole is say three feet under water it will only be about 1.5 PSI water pressure. If the hole is say 1" diameter you are looking at less than a square inch so less than 1.5 pounds of force on the patch at 3 feet under water.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Go with epoxy as your first choice and vinylester resin as your second. The fact that your boat was originally made with polyester is irrelevant. The problem with polyester is that it is not so hot for secondary bonds, which is what you are doing here.

The only reason boat yards use polyester is because it is cheap--though perhaps they also like it because they are more familiar with it. It's also easier to wet out the cloth with polyester than with epoxy. But if price is a consideration then vinylester resin is also fairly inexpensive (compared to epoxy), wets out just like polyester resin, is quite a bit stronger, makes a better secondary bond, and is much more blister resistant. It's not as cheap as polyester but quite a bit cheaper than epoxy.

But for a small job like this I see no reason not to go with epoxy.

Oct 20, 2011
Hunter 30 Green Bay
I was hoping to do the same thing in the spring, but was planning on using just epoxy. Is adding fiberglass necessary for this repair?

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Yes, adding fiberglass cloth or roving is essential. Resin by itself has little strength.

The better yards would not use polyester. Epoxy or vinylester are good choices with epoxy the first choice. Polyester has good adhesion to green polyester but your hull hasn't been green since it was in the mold.

Most mat is not compatible with epoxy. The binders that hold the glass together dissolve in styrene and there is no styrene in epoxy. Best choice is biaxial 1708 or similar - a stitched roving with epoxy compatible mat attached to one side. It is strong and will build thickness fast. Grind a 12 to 1 bevel on the outside, the inside bevel need not be as large.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Go with the epoxy. When a hull is built with polyester the resin does not cure until all layup is completed. Thats called a primary bond, and poly works fine in that mode. When you add new resin to old, fully cured layup, thats a secondary bond and poly sucks at that. Epoxy bonds well to almost anything and is the first choice, with vinylester second. As was mentioned, many yards use poly due to cost, but also because it's much easier to use. It only has to stick for whatever their warrantee period is, they don't care what happens after that.

Jan 6, 2010
Sher,

On a different point of view, have you given thought to just capping off the thruhulls?
This way, you always have the option of using them in the future. A threaded cap is a low cost ,low labor exercise. I have one that I capped off. I couldn't justify the cost & time.

It's not like anyone can see them.

CR

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If you just cap them, you still have to worry about the bedding leaking, freezing, and corrosion or getting blown off by a lightning strike if they're metal. If you're sure you're not going to need them again, remove them and repair the holes.

May 8, 2014
sailboat about 37' SE US
Epoxy it is!, That is what I had figured was best to use, but then I read in a Don Casey book to use polyester. What I failed to do is look at the copyright of that book, 1991! He has since changed his mind.

Anyway, I'm never going to use these holes again, so I'll use biaxial and cloth to layer them closed with epoxy. Two of the 7 holes I'm going to close are caps and abandoned transducers done by previous owners, three I'm because they are in bad locations and one is just not needed.

Thanks again for for the advice.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Epoxy and good barrier coat to seal it up before bottom paint. Following the minimum recoat instructions will give a good bond between paints.
The West System site has guides on fixing just about everything fiberglass.
The professionals in our area say "build with poly and fix with epoxy". Everyone I know (including me) gave up our poly after the first use of epoxy.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Not sure if it's true but I've always heard it's best to use epoxy for filling in anything below the water line.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
West epoxy is expensive and amine.

Take a look at epoxyproducts.com for excellent quality epoxies as much lower cost and all amine free. I've used several of their products with good results.

Dec 29, 2010
Catalina 30 tall rig waupoos
I tend to agree with captnron. you could use nylon fittings to alleviate the lightning strike theory. be a safer bet considering this sounds like your first fiberglass repair and as said before way less time and money.

Sep 28, 2008
Do not use nylon underwater. Marelon is fine as is bronze.

It will be a lot less expensive to glass them over than to replace them with Marelon.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
West is high dollar, but good. I began using it in 1976.

I now have over the years used MAS, Raka, System 3, and stuff form B and B Yacht designs, which is a generic.

Remember- there are really only a few companies in the US that MAKE epoxy resin.

The Gougeons have a fantastic tech support systems that has helped me several times over the years. BUT the epoxy is just plain costly compared to others. A gallon of west resin(no hardener), retail, runs $99. Delivered it's more.

I can get a gallon of resin from B and B, and a half gallon of hardener (2-1 mix) delivered for $86. And it works just as well. I've used it to build 7 boats so far

One thing I HAVE found is the 5-1 ratio epoxy from the Gougeon's will cure more quickly in lower temps than the 2-1 ratio stuff.

And for repairs on boat hulls, Epoxy is the ONLY thing I'll use. Recently did a close off on an old through hull- 7/8 thick hull- EIGHTEEN layers of glass outside, and 6 inside

Attachments

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I've been using epoxy from US Composites and love it. Every bit as good as WEST and low and no amine blush versions. Current price is $75.50 for 1.5 gallons plus shipping from Florida. (about $23 to Michigan). They also have polyester resin and fiberglass.
uscomposites.com

Dec 29, 2010
Catalina 30 tall rig waupoos
mitiempo, what is the issue with using nylon underwater? my boat has what appears to be a nylon through hull plug, sure don't want any issues on the water if they can be avoided.

Sep 28, 2008
Nylon absorbs water and is for above the waterline only. If a surveyor spotted it he would ask it be removed. Marelon is the composite to use underwater.