Sanitation hose lengths

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Thanks JK for the info. Is it a product that you can pick up at a marine shop or is it available at other stores. Cheers 2 OLD PIRATES :D
Hey
Peter here
You should have one now unless the PO removed it for some reason.
It should be in the aft locker where you can see the holding tanks shelf. That's where my battery charger is as well.
The switch is on the bottom of the engine control pod.
I have run mine a couple of times only; they are life and death on a gas boat; but redundant on a diesel.
Ever tried to light diesel? You really have to work at it.
Going to make it to OYS this summer?
Peter
"For Pete's Sake"
Hull #147

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Finally found the opportunity to replace the 1.5" sanitation hose. Based on the odor of the exterior of the completely permeated hose, and the huge difference on the boat, this has been one of the best "quality of experience" upgrades I have done. As Paul J's post would indicate, this was not easy, but I did manage to replace the hose into the existing embedded tube without any modifications. Here is the process, minus the do-overs and expletives. Took me about four hours including mistakes.

Preparation:
I measured about 15' for the 1.5" hose and bought 16.5' (Trident 102, Defender). New for main run was about 8', but longer made handling easier. The pump out line netted exactly 5'; macerator less than 1'. I had 2' and 1' pieces left over.
Pump Out, rinse, repeat... Drop garden hose and nozzle through aft port cockpit locker to be ready to flush bilge. Turn on breakers for Shower sump, Water, Water heater (you will appreciate the hot water for rinsing and washing hands). Leave supply hose connected at head so you can use shower sump pump. My shower/fridge drain exits at head supply. Remove niceties from port aft bilge, as it will get flushed. Either remove the aft door at the piano hinge, or tape up the edges of the hinge. I shredded my forearms. This will be easier with two people, although I did it alone.

Head in:
Remove 1.5 hose clamps at head. I had to slice the hose to remove. Remove 1.5" line. It will drain nasties into area. Use shower wand and sump pump to flush. Remove 3/4 hoses when done using shower sump pump. Remove head. (I immediately needed to pee). Clean up area, self, open first beer.

Now aft:
Remove hose clamps at tank. Slice the hose at elbow to ease removal. (Spill first beer). There is a stiff curve from the entrance to the tube up to the tank elbow. I used a PVC cutter to reach in and cut the bend off to ease pulling the hose forward. I just pulled the hose out, a mistake. The tube doesn't run all the way forward to the head bulkhead hole, so any attempts to feed the hose from fore or aft will not work. I needed a tracer line, so I stuffed the garden hose in rear of tube and fed forward until I could catch some of the hose at the hole in the head bulkhead. Worked first try and I tied a line to hose and pulled aft.

What follows is how I would have done it after learning more about what's behind the wall. Before cutting the bend off of the aft end of the hose, drill 3/8 hole through hose forward of most of the bend. This hole will be to attach the tracer line. Cut the bend off of the hose just aft of the hole. Remove the short curved section from the tank elbow. Now is the time to flush area using the nearby hose... If you want all mess over at once, go ahead and remove the lower pump out hose and the macerator hose. Tie a tracer line into the hole in hose. NOW pull out the hose from the head, making sure the tracer line is intact and feeding.

Prepare the new hose by drilling a hole for the tracer line. You will be tying to the aft end of the line and feeding from the back. The discontinuous tube prevents success feeding from the front (Tried it). I left the hose long, including the 6' needed for the pump out line + macerator and fed it down through the aft port locker opening. It was tough to get the hose started into the aft end of the tube, but keeping the tracer taut and bending the tube, it will start. I let the hose lay in the sun while I worked, and it was a bit more flexible. It takes a bit of muscle to keep pushing the tube while bending just right to release. I made progress in 1-4" increments. Since I was alone, my tracer line was fed from the head, over the engine cover, back so I could pull while feeding. Again, keep tracer taut, the hose will feed forward until it hits the head bulkhead. Playing the tracer at the bulkhead, I was able to easily find the tube end to guide through the bulkhead hole. Feed a bit more than you will need to connect the head and take a break. Hard part is over. Clean up again. Open second beer; 1.5 in my case.

I cut hose to best position to connect to the tank elbow. It was not too difficult to bend hose onto the elbow. I had to pull hose back out of the tube slightly to walk it up fully onto the elbow.

Replace the head to position and trim the forward end of tube. You may want to turn the tubing to hide the green stripe, before bending/clamping at the tank. I forgot to do so.

Macerator and pump out lines are easy if your body will fit in the back without too many bruises. I did not yet replace the 3/4 supply hoses, nor the macerator exit line, which is Trident 101 and not too bad. Also plan to upgrade the vent line.

Good luck!

Ed

Attachments

Sep 18, 2011
Time & Tide Catalina 310 San Francisco
Hi Paul J. In your post of 5/19/15 you included a pic looking from head compartment toward tank. It appears you were able to extract the hose, but your text says you couldn't. Were you finally able to get the hose out? I'm trying to remove the hose on Time & Tide, #179. The curves in the hose are too acute and the hose too stiff to simply pull it out. I've attached pictures at both ends of the hose and you can see the problem. One of your pictures suggests you have access to the channel with the conduit between liner and hull from the head compartment next to the toilet. Did you create that opening or does your boat have an access panel next to the toilet? I'm thinking of creating an access panel in order to have better leverage on hose. Of course I'll have to cut off the tank end of hose in order to get it straight enough to pull thru. Any info you could share would be much appreciated.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If Catalina ran your vent line into a rail stanchion, I strongly recommend that you move it to a thru-hull, even if you don't want to "upgrade" it to a 1".
The first time I saw one of those and the owner was back flushing it, I had to laugh. They seem unnatural.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Ed, Thanks for the great hints.
You are always good for a great chuckle, I laughed with you as we just replaced the macerator! Having crawled back into the space for two fun filled hours! I also had a beer as soon as we were done!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
How 'bout posting thumbnails instead of full size photos, please? Full size adds a lot pages to a thread and needs a lot of bandwidth to download. Clicking on the thumbnail brings up a good size photo (see rukidn's post above. Thanks!

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Yes, I did create some access ports to help me install the new hose which is stiffer than Trident 102.

I did not run new hose thru the exiting plastic pipe.

paulj
:hook2:

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Hi Paul J. In your post of 5/19/15 you included a pic looking from head compartment toward tank. It appears you were able to extract the hose, but your text says you couldn't. Were you finally able to get the hose out? I'm trying to remove the hose on Time & Tide, #179. The curves in the hose are too acute and the hose too stiff to simply pull it out. I've attached pictures at both ends of the hose and you can see the problem. One of your pictures suggests you have access to the channel with the conduit between liner and hull from the head compartment next to the toilet. Did you create that opening or does your boat have an access panel next to the toilet? I'm thinking of creating an access panel in order to have better leverage on hose. Of course I'll have to cut off the tank end of hose in order to get it straight enough to pull thru. Any info you could share would be much appreciated.View attachment 126507View attachment 126509
Thomas, I replaced those hoses recently on our hull #31 C310. One trick I found was to drill two small holes (1/4" or so) in the ends of the old and new hose. Use cable ties (zip locks) to connect the two hoses together. Then pull the old one out as you feed the new one in (I did it from the tank to the head, I think, but it may not matter which way you go). It worked pretty easy.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
That's one way to do it. However the cable tie "locks" could get caught in a really tight space or hung up on a hole in a bulkhead. The recommended way is to buy a male-male hose connector. Cut the ends of both the old and the new hose as cleanly and squarely as possible...you want a smooth unbroken surface when you butt them together on the connector. Use pvc cement to "glue" the hose onto the fitting. Now you have nothing that can get caught, which of course would never happen anywhere that would be easy to reach to free it, only in a totally inaccessible place.

Nov 16, 2012
That's one way to do it. However the cable tie "locks" could get caught in a really tight space or hung up on a hole in a bulkhead. The recommended way is to buy a male-male hose connector. Cut the ends of both the old and the new hose as cleanly and squarely as possible...you want a smooth unbroken surface when you butt them together on the connector. Use pvc cement to "glue" the hose onto the fitting. Now you have nothing that can get caught, which of course would never happen anywhere that would be easy to reach to free it, only in a totally inaccessible place.
I did put the fat parts of the cable ties on the inside, and it did work ok for us, but I see what you're saying.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You're prob'ly only one of a gazillion people who'd have thought of doing that, so you get 5 stars...the first 3 'cuz you were smart enough NOT to use duct tape! You'd be amazed by how many people do, and then post that linking the new and old hoses together doesn't work because they come apart.

Then there are those who put the hoses on a male-male connector and use hose clamps instead of pvc cement...<sigh>...which brings to mind another of my favorite Albert Einstein quotes: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

Nov 16, 2012
You're prob'ly only one of a gazillion people who'd have thought of doing that, so you get 5 stars...the first 3 'cuz you were smart enough NOT to use duct tape! You'd be amazed by how many people do, and then post that linking the new and old hoses together doesn't work because they come apart.

Then there are those who put the hoses on a male-male connector and use hose clamps instead of pvc cement...<sigh>...which brings to mind another of my favorite Albert Einstein quotes: “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
Darn!! I actually thought I was the first to think of that! Now I feel bad. ;). I do agree with Einstein, having been on both sides of human stupidity.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Macerator and pump out lines are easy if your body will fit in the back without too many bruises. I did not yet replace the 3/4 supply hoses, nor the macerator exit line, which is Trident 101 and not too bad.

Just curious, but why bother with the macerator hoses. They won't get used where you're located. One of the first things I did on our boat was remove the macerator and hose to the holding tank. Hose ran downhill from the tank to the macerator and was always full..... hence was always smelly. Took out the hose and macerator and capped the fitting from the tank. Can be easily put back in someday if its ever needed, but doubtful in the foreseeable future for this boat.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Hard pvc is fine in long straight runs as long as it's "soft coupled" to the toilet, tank and any thru-hull with enough hose (about a foot) and also supported to protect it from flex and shock. I'd go with sch 80.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thank you. I'm refitting my plumbing this winter. I now will include the hoses. Or at least take a look at them.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
" 310 had the macerator screwed into the holding tank directly " . I live in Toronto , Lake Ontario. We have no use for the macerator. Would there be any advantage having the macerator hooked up between the Hose and the Tank ?

Cheers
2 Old Pirates

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If you mean between the TOILET and the tank, the answer is No...in fact it's the last thing you'd want to do! It would cause nothing but problems--backups if the macerator isn't on when the toilet is flushed...fried impellers in the macerator if it runs when the toilet hasn't been flushed... I can think of half a dozen more disaster scenarios. Remove it and toss it.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
" the answer is No " lol. I get it. Unless everything is working in unison I'll be in DEEP in DO DO :eek: !!! Actually the system was disabled prior to me buying the boat. I'll just leave it as is.
Thanks Peggie for the reply.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates