Sanitation hose lengths

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Catalina 310 258 Sandusky, OH
Anyone replace their sanitation hoses and record the required lengths? We would like to order the hoses ahead of time to make quick work of this nasty project. Some good deals on 12.5' lengths from various distributors. Is this enough for the entire 1 1/2" runs? Thanks!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Some good deals on 12.5' lengths from various distributors.
I can smell that idea from here :eek:.

Check the archives here (or check with Peggy Hall) to get recommendations for sanitation hose. You don't want a cheap sanitation hose or you'll be redoing the job on a regular basis.

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Yes, thanks. I have checked the archives and will use Peggy's recommendations for hose type 101/148 for sani and supply respectively. I am looking for the required lengths used on the 310, if anyone has done this job and noted the required lengths. I haven't found lengths in archives.

Boat odor was marginal last season, over the top this year. Should have done this job while Lake Erie was frozen...

Ed

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We have a 2001 (hull #65) and we don't have odors from the hose yet. Are you sure the odor issue is that the hose is permeated? Have you done the wipe test? (Wipe a clean, damp rag on the outside of the hose and smell it)

As far as the length, the linear footage from the head to the holding tank is less than 12.5 feet but there is probably a hump in the line to minimize back draining (or at least you should consider putting one in). My head hose has a bit of a funky configuration with a plastic T to allow for the macerator pump. From talking to Maine Sail, his old 310 had the macerator screwed into the holding tank directly. It seems like there was a lot of variability in the final configuration of the boats by Catalina. So you might want to review the setup and think about the best way to pipe it and not just simply replace the hose. Does your boat have a Y valve for direct discharge? This could add some length.

I assume when you say 101/148 you are referring to Trident sanitation hose? That is the only thing I will every use for sanitation hose.

On the odors, have you checked the vent? I have found that the vent on our tank is a little under sized. Upgrading to a larger vent line, possibly two to allow cross ventilation, is on my list to eventually do. But for now I flush out the vent with a hose every pump out. That, plus using a treatment like KO, has kept the odors down. We live on our C310 so the head gets a lot of use. We don't have issues with odor.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You'll have to crawl into the same spaces to remove/replace the hoses... Any reason you can't get into those places now with a tape measure? However...

Boat odor was marginal last season, over the top this year.

Odor inside the boat, or odor out the tank vent when the toilet is flushed and/or the boat rocks? If only outside via the vent, replacing hoses won't help.

I assume when you say 101/148 you are referring to Trident sanitation hose?

Yep...101 and 148 are Trident hoses...101--or 102 if you MUST have only white--for 1.5" and 1" (this would be a good time to replace the vent line with a larger one...it's easy to do using a Uniseal UNISEAL Uniseal Instructions )... Trident or Shields #148 for toilet intake line and standard 5/8" vent line.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
I followed Peggie's instructions and replaced all my hoses to the waste tank from the head.

I also ran a larger vent from the waste tank .......another story.

I've shown some pictures of the passage way of the hose to the

waste tank to the head.

Could not bend the hose and pull it thru that plastic tube as shown....

had two gorillas helping said no problem.....:bang::bang::bang:

I even opened up area with access ports and still could not pull hose.

Will show some additional pictures later.

I had to run sanitation hose over the plastic tube that is shown in picture.

I cut off the last 18 inches of the plastic tube near the waste tank end

to allow the transition of the hose to the waste tank .

Will show some additional pictures later.

paulj
:troll:

Attachments

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Thank you all for the feedback. Odor is in the boat. Only time odor outside is when tank is full. This was a Texas boat that cooked for a very long time in the heat before we bought it, most likely with lines full. I assume the heat hasn't helped, and for last two seasons, she sits with glycol in the lines for six months. I have done the clean and sniff test...I need hoses. Vent is clear, but you can hear it wheezing when pumping down. Increasing vent capacity is a good idea. Peggy, thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I meant the Trident designations; 101/2 waste and 148 supply. This is a 2004 (258) and has the same, separate macerator arrangement as Maine Sail. I be onboard Friday and will see if I have same arrangement as Paul. I hope not as his job looked complicated. Simple things like different placement of tank bulkhead fittings could ease or add to degree of difficulty. If Catalina went to the trouble of running a tube, they could have used Schedule 40 PVC and minimal hose at each end. Paul's tube looks too thin to use as such. I will open some access and resort to the tape measure. I'll photograph and report lengths as determined.

Last edited:

rukidn

Apr 23, 2012
Why when I type hull number after # does it yield a ??? I see hull numbers shared all of the time. /Ed

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If Catalina ran your vent line into a rail stanchion, I strongly recommend that you move it to a thru-hull, even if you don't want to "upgrade" it to a 1".

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
You'll have to crawl into the same spaces to remove/replace the hoses... Any reason you can't get into those places now with a tape measure? However... Boat odor was marginal last season, over the top this year. Odor inside the boat, or odor out the tank vent when the toilet is flushed and/or the boat rocks? If only outside via the vent, replacing hoses won't help. I assume when you say 101/148 you are referring to Trident sanitation hose? Yep...101 and 148 are Trident hoses...101--or 102 if you MUST have only white--for 1.5" and 1" (this would be a good time to replace the vent line with a larger one...it's easy to do using a Uniseal UNISEAL Uniseal Instructions )... Trident or Shields #148 for toilet intake line and standard 5/8" vent line.
Are you talking about using the Uniseal as a new entry/exit port into the existing holding tank?
Thanks
Peter

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
A long time ago, under Peggie's approval I made these modifications to my

waste tank...........one of the better things I did that worked.

Ahhhhhhhhh thanks again Peggie.:wow:

paulj
:troll:

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Are you talking about using the Uniseal as a new entry/exit port into the existing holding tank? Thanks Peter
The Uniseal can be used to relocate or add any fittings on existing tanks. However, I'd only use it for fittings on or at the top of a tank... It creates a tight seal, but I'm a bit leery of using it as a discharge fitting at the bottom of a tank.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The photo is too small for me to see what the cylinder is, but I can see what appears to be corrugated hose. If so, it needs to be replaced with proper sanitation hose.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Hi paulj ......... in the photo below could you tell me what the white plastic cylindar is? I have the white tube but no cylindar. Cheers 2 OLD PIRATES
It's an engine room blower. You run it to exhaust any potentially explosive gases out before starting. You have a switch below the engine panel. You should have one, even on a diesel boat.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
Believe it or not - also nice to run your blower on very hot days if you do a lot of motoring. One thing our engines need to run properly is air, and running the blower will help ventilate the engine compartment that is otherwise pretty well sealed up.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Thanks JK for the info. Is it a product that you can pick up at a marine shop or is it available at other stores.

Cheers
2 OLD PIRATES :D