SaniFlex Hose Stretch

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze
Who (anyone?) has successfully stretched 1 1/2” Raritan SaniFlex hose to fit over a 1 5/8” OD pvc hose barb? Or over a 1 19/32” OD pvc elbow?
If you have ACTUALLY DONE IT plz tell me how you did it.

Everyone else - Plz stand by and do not repeat all the same old good advice that we’ve all read and heard.

If you’ve ACTUALLY DONE IT, I’d ❤ to hear fromYOU.

Thank you.

Included is a photo of the steel reinforced hose I refer to.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I did it with some effort. First, I grabbed the exposed steel wire end with linesman's pliers and pulled really hard. I managed to remove a couple of wraps of the wire out of the hose layers. It took vise grips to cut it off and bend back underneath so I wouldn't cut myself. I bought a tailpipe expander from Harbor Freight. With that and very hot water, I could enlarge the tubing just enough to slip over the PVC fitting. You have to work fast because it snaps back quickly. I finally quit using those fittings as the nylon ones are sized properly for marine hose.

tailpipe expander.jpg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Stretching ANY hose to make it fit onto a too large fitting is a bad idea because it will cause the hose to develop tears in it. This was a common problem in the 80s and early 90s when marine stores were selling domestic 1.5" gray PVC fittings because they were considerably cheaper than marine fittings. Domestic fittings are sized differently from marine fittings... a nominal 1.5" thread x 1.5" barb domestic fitting is actually 1..5" thread x 1 5/8" barb because they use the OD for the threaded end and and the ID for the barb end (has to do with with which end has to go INto a pipe or other connection and which end has to go ONto it). Yes, domestic plumbing fittings are a lot cheaper, but they're no bargain if you have to damage hose to use 'em.

--Peggie

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
I took the opposite approach when I encountered a similar situation adding a drainage sytem with 3/4" I.D. hose and 7/8" O.D. PVC: I sanded down the PVC so it was 3/4" O.D. Easy peasy and now the hose can be taken off and put back on without any gymnastics. There is still plenty of meat left in the PVC pipe. I know I wasn't supposed to answer if I hadn't actually done exactly what you're attempting but I'm pretty sure this will work in your case :)

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze
I did it with some effort. First, I grabbed the exposed steel wire end with linesman's pliers and pulled really hard. I managed to remove a couple of wraps of the wire out of the hose layers. It took vise grips to cut it off and bend back underneath so I wouldn't cut myself. I bought a tailpipe expander from Harbor Freight. With that and very hot water, I could enlarge the tubing just enough to slip over the PVC fitting. You have to work fast because it snaps back quickly. I finally quit using those fittings as the nylon ones are sized properly for marine hose.

View attachment 187344
Thank you

malyea

Dec 15, 2009
'87 Irwin 43 Sea Breeze
I took the opposite approach when I encountered a similar situation adding a drainage sytem with 3/4" I.D. hose and 7/8" O.D. PVC: I sanded down the PVC so it was 3/4" O.D. Easy peasy and now the hose can be taken off and put back on without any gymnastics. There is still plenty of meat left in the PVC pipe. I know I wasn't supposed to answer if I hadn't actually done exactly what you're attempting but I'm pretty sure this will work in your case :)
Thank you

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not the answer you are looking for, but can you use a 1 1/2" - 1 5/8" coupling with a short piece of 1 5/8" hose and make everyone happy? Don't dismiss Peggie's expert advice too quickly.

I'm in the process of replacing a leaking PVC 1 1/2" 90 degree fitting with a proper Groco bronze part. The PVC threads are not in good shape. I plan to eliminate all PVC near the waterline. Shouldn't be there in the first place