I took another nasty spill today coming down the companion way. i slid right off the top step and free-fell and landed on the botttom step right on my shoulder blade. Didnt even get a chance to grab anything on the way to the floor. This is about the sixth or seventh time i have gone down the companionway steps. Luckily im still in good shape so my body is absorbing the impacts, but one of these day im not going to be so lucky.
I have really nice solid teak steps that i want to avoid turning into an eyesore though by sticking on something ugly just to make them nonskid, but its gotten to the point that i need to do something. I was trying to come up with some ideas today and realize have a can of varnish that i need to use up, so was thinking of painting several layers on the steps with fine silica in-between on each layer. maybe build up a nice thickness of varnish and silica sand. I already have the silica from redoing a portion of the deck. This would help preserve the nice look of the steps i think, because the sand would wet out and be mostly transparent, i think. Before i do though and potentially create a really messy headache, i figured i would ask if anyone has tried sand with varnish before? If so has it held up reasonably well over time or does it wear out extremely fast? I also have a can of polyurethane that is fresh that i have no real use for, so could use that or varnish. I have Le Tonkenois varnish which seems like its maybe a bit more durable than the polyurethane, so not sure which might be better. The steps currently have varnish on them, so not sure if the poly can be appied over varnish? I guess i could google that. Anyways, any feedback would be appreciated.
I have really nice solid teak steps that i want to avoid turning into an eyesore though by sticking on something ugly just to make them nonskid, but its gotten to the point that i need to do something. I was trying to come up with some ideas today and realize have a can of varnish that i need to use up, so was thinking of painting several layers on the steps with fine silica in-between on each layer. maybe build up a nice thickness of varnish and silica sand. I already have the silica from redoing a portion of the deck. This would help preserve the nice look of the steps i think, because the sand would wet out and be mostly transparent, i think. Before i do though and potentially create a really messy headache, i figured i would ask if anyone has tried sand with varnish before? If so has it held up reasonably well over time or does it wear out extremely fast? I also have a can of polyurethane that is fresh that i have no real use for, so could use that or varnish. I have Le Tonkenois varnish which seems like its maybe a bit more durable than the polyurethane, so not sure which might be better. The steps currently have varnish on them, so not sure if the poly can be appied over varnish? I guess i could google that. Anyways, any feedback would be appreciated.