San Juan 23

Aug 29, 2016
Clark San Juan 23 St Cloud Marina
Hello, new to the forum, 1st post. I just bought this SJ23 1979, all is well with the boat, so far. My question is about the 2 cockpit drain holes, one appears to drain fine, the other not, if i put the hose on the one working the water doesn't back up, on the one not working (port side) water doesn't drain as quick (backs up with hose)....

Is there an access point to these drains?
Could the water be going in the hull?
Recommendations? (not Drano)

I haven't been able to find any drawings/plans/blueprints on this boat.

Thank you in advance.

Alex

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
No, yes, not Drano. There might be an obstruction, see if you can run a wire to clear it. I would also be wary of the one that drains real fast as that could be the one leaking into the hull. Crawling into a cockpit lazarette might allow inspection of the drain conduits under the cockpit sole.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
If the drains (scuppers) are like my 24 had, they are straight down through the stern lazarette and out just under the water line. You may be able to see the obstruction with a light from the top. A straight iron rod might loosen it.

Aug 29, 2016
Thank you Richard, too bad there isn't an plumbing schematic on these boats

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Sorry, Alexvw- my wording is not quite accurate- the tubes go down through the crawl space under the cockpit, not the lazarette.

Alex D

Oct 12, 2016
Oday 23-2 1978 23-2 Boca Raton
Hi,
Any pictures on your boat I'm looking to buy a 1979 San Juan 23 any ideas or advice. I'm Boca Raton Fl.
aadamiani@ gmail.com
Thank you!

Aug 29, 2016
Good morning Alex D, I can't really give you a professional opinion, with that said, I've use the boat 5 times since purchase (July 2016, it seats at the St Cloud marina , and I sail on Lake Toho. The idea of purchase was to teach my kids about sailing, easy and quick access to it (instead of driving to the coast). So far the boat delivered , rigging is solid, maneuverability is good, I've single piloted this boat with no too much work (and I don't have a rolling furling for forward sail). The previous owner installed an electrical system with two batteries and a air conditioning (dock use only).
It has the retractable Keel and Rudder, great for my area.
It needs to have some hull Buffing (don't know how) and some other cosmetic stuff.

Over roll I'm happy. Let me know how else I can help.

Alex.