Salon Windows Leaking!

Oct 30, 2011
Catalina 309 Fort Myers
Re my 2008 Catalina 309, hull 145 I was cleaning last week before a survey and the starboard large fixed window leaked at the aft end. You could press the edge of the window away from the seal by 1/16 " ! Anyone else had this problem? I'm really surprised with the boat age, although we are in FL. I plan to have them removed (by pro) and resealed. Any watch-outs? Reco for sealant to use?

Feb 21, 2013
Catalina 309 Newport NSW
Re my 2008 Catalina 309, hull 145 I was cleaning last week before a survey and the starboard large fixed window leaked at the aft end. You could press the edge of the window away from the seal by 1/16 " ! Anyone else had this problem? I'm really surprised with the boat age, although we are in FL. I plan to have them removed (by pro) and resealed. Any watch-outs? Reco for sealant to use?
Yes had the same problem with both sides. My 309 is a 2007 make. The problem as it was explained to me is that the side windows are far too long to be in a single piece. In hot weather the expansion from night to day is enough to eventually crack the seal at the weakest end - the rear end (there is a lot more adhesive at the forward end). I ended up replacing both sides as replacement acrylic was in expensive. To do the job correctly I made up a jig that held the acrylic in place under pressure until the sealant had cured.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
I had that on my 2001 C310 discovered the first summer of ownership.
It was repaired by the dealer under warranty. I wasn't impressed by the repair since it was done on a hot day and the adhesive was setting up. It looks like a bunch of worms though the plexiglas but no issues since.
I don't think it was a thermal expansion/contraction thing; more likely poor preparation at the factory.
Peter

Jul 8, 2015
Catalina 309 New Orleans, LA
Has anyone just tried to "Silicone" the leaking area of the windows? Do I need to remove and re-adhere the windows to do this correctly? What type of adhesive is used?

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Cats Paw1 Please post what you find out as my window on my C309 #20 is doing the same thing as yours and I was thinking of silicone also. I haven't been able to find a shop that will tackle the job in my area. I don't want to take an 8-10 hour run up to Seattle to get it fixed if I can avoid it.

Jul 8, 2015
tahomathundr,

I'm one month in and my quick and easy silicone job is working fine. It was leaking rather well prior and is bone dry now. It was fairly easy to do and the results look nice. We have been having a wet month down where I am (on the US Gulf Coast). I happy for now.

Apr 3, 2012
Catalina 309 Sydney
Hi,

Did the window have silicon on the outside previously or just sealed on the inside.

Our 309 has been sealed on both sides, but I think the dealer put silicon on the outside when we were trying to find a leak when the boat was new.

The outside silicon is now starting to breakdown so might have to redo it.

Jul 8, 2015
There was no silicone on the outside of the windows prior to my "fix", only between the window and the cabin top. I'm wondering how long this silicone will last as it is now exposed to UV radiation. I'm wondering if I should just repair it "correctly" for a more permannet fix. I guess I will monitor it and see how long it lasts.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
Cats Paw 1 I couldn't find anyone in my area that would tackle the window so I plan to do the same as you and silicone that window where it leaks and see what happens. Glad yours is working out OK. We haven't had any rain for the last month and probably won't get any for at least the next month so I will have plenty of time for it to set up before the rain really starts. Let me know how it lasts for you.

May 10, 2012
Catalina 310 Bayport
I replaced 2 fixed portlights 2 years ago on a 2000 C310......removal photos of cracked portlights attached.
Used orbital tool with paint scrapper blade for portlight removal.
Dow 795 was a great adhesive to use.....product used to install office tower windows.
Dow 795 was $8 a tube ( 1 per window ).....1/4" smoked acrylic was $246 for 4'x8' sheet......enough for 8 portlights.
As highlighted in previous posts.....not technically challenging, but does take some time and is a little messy.
Made boat look new again......no issues 2 years later.
See photos attached

Attachments

May 10, 2012
Catalina 310 Bayport
Reinstalled new portlight windows......photos attached....2nd of two postings.
Used old windows as templates.....scroll saw and router to fabricate.
Dow 795 was a great adhesive to use.....little butyl tape to ensure a gap for the DOW 795.
Made boat look new again......no issues 2 years later.

Attachments

Feb 12, 2020
Catalina 309 Winthrop, MA
Hi, I have the same problem here.
The yard kind of fixed it (just resealed the aft part), but that lasted only for 1 season.
Do you know where I can buy the window replacement?

Thank you!

Take care.

Andrea