Sailing the US Loop, should I use my Potter or buy a Nimble Kodiak

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Looks like a great boat for the trip. Keep us informed of your progress.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Looks to be an interesting boat. One that could make the trip. The images show the captain looks a bit unhappy...
Capt.JPG

Perhaps he is just anxious to get started...
When are you planning to depart? What is your route? How will you handle the "low bridges" on the route? So many questions for such a long journey.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Neat looking boat…is there a helm station below, or was that wheel on the bulkhead just stored there (or a decoration)?

Greg

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Neat looking boat…is there a helm station below, or was that wheel on the bulkhead just stored there (or a decoration)?

Greg
I'm sure this one is real, not like the fake helm Forrest Gump had on the aft deck of his shrimp trawler.:)

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Between those two...definitely the Nimble.

A 31 footer would be more my style, though.

Jul 9, 2013
West Wight Potter, Nimble 19,26 Backyard
Looks to be an interesting boat. One that could make the trip. The images show the captain looks a bit unhappy...
View attachment 200290

Perhaps he is just anxious to get started...
When are you planning to depart? What is your route? How will you handle the "low bridges" on the route? So many questions for such a long journey.
My Route First Summer 2023
First two weeks

Port Isabel - Port Mansfield,
join Texas 200,
Haps Cut
Quaratine Shores (nort of Port A)
Shell Island (east of Rock Port)
Matagorda Island
Magnolia Beach
Palacios (maybe)
Matagorda
N28 49.795 W95 31.932
Rivers End Texas (Lunch maybe)
Gulf Coast Marina Freeport
sail through old Intracoastal to West Bay
(this may be problematic the chart shows no depths in the channel and less than a fathom in Christmas bay)
Offats Bayou, Galveston
Texas City Dike
Kemah
Galveston

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My Route First Summer 2023
First two weeks

Port Isabel - Port Mansfield,
join Texas 200,
Haps Cut
Quaratine Shores (nort of Port A)
Shell Island (east of Rock Port)
Matagorda Island
Magnolia Beach
Palacios (maybe)
Matagorda
N28 49.795 W95 31.932
Rivers End Texas (Lunch maybe)
Gulf Coast Marina Freeport
sail through old Intracoastal to West Bay
(this may be problematic the chart shows no depths in the channel and less than a fathom in Christmas bay)
Offats Bayou, Galveston
Texas City Dike
Kemah
Galveston
We are currently working our way down the ICW. One important lesson we have learned is that plans are always written in sand and written low tide. :)

Jul 9, 2013
West Wight Potter, Nimble 19,26 Backyard
We are currently working our way down the ICW. One important lesson we have learned is that plans are always written in sand and written low tide. :)
the only dates that are set are the beginning and ending of the Texas 200. Other than that I'll follow the weather.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We got stuck just north of Jacksonville, FL, on the ICW when high winds kept the drawbridges closed. We decided to do Thanksgiving on the layover day, Wednesday, and make Thursday a travel day. We invited our friends from Canada to join us for dinner, and their reply about the change in plans was, "No problem. Our plans are firmly fixed in jello. Let's do it!"