Sailing the US Loop, should I use my Potter or buy a Nimble Kodiak

Jul 9, 2013
West Wight Potter, Nimble 19,26 Backyard
I have for sometime been thinking about a retirement trip around the Loop, (Gulf coast, Atlantic Coast, St Lawrence River, Great Lakes, Mississippi).
I was planning on upgrading to a Nimble Kodiak. I'd do this since after the trip since she's trailerable I can save slip fees while I have less money due to retirement.

I could do the trip in my Potter.
Advantages:

I own her out right and have sailed her for years.
She fits comfortably in my back yard, so storage is not a problem
at 1,225lbs Easy to tow with my F150
I can pull her up on many beaches at least in South Texas and camp on barrier islands, thus saving mooring fees in many places
She has room to sleep four, so I can carry three other hands to help out

Disadvantages:

Storage aboard is cramped
Steering is done in the cockpit in the weather, this is fine on warm days the Bimini keeps the sun and most of the rain off

Or I could buy a Nimble Kodiak:
Advantages:

Steering can be done inside out of the weather
the Head is more comfortable
There is standing headroom for anyone 6' and under
Maybe a knot faster than a Potter 19
Maybe more comfortable than the potter for long cruises
Some Have heaters

Disadvantages

One I have my eye on may cost as much as 37K after I've refurbished her
Need to clear space in back yard, or store elsewhere
Should sell or give away the Potter,
2 foot draft means beaching is difficult
At 4100lbs, shes heavy but still towable with an F150. I'd be concerned on tall, steep ramps.
On the two boats I've seen there is just one other berth besides the V berth
If the boat has an internal diesel, then you must get used to sleeping in a compartment with diesel fumes.
Pulling the usually heavier motors for repair is more difficult than a Potter.

Advantages shared:

Dropping and raising the mast at anchor can be done with equipment on board.
Trailerable so I can easily move the boats from Launch to Launch by truck

Let me know what you think.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That Nimble is a neat little boat...packed with features (hydraulic steering from inside the pilot house?).

I had never seen one before your post.

Cannot add much to your discussion about which one is better for a Loop...but I would say the boat you already know is a good bet...just put a boom tent or something over the cockpit.

But that little pilot house is pretty nice!

Good luck.

Greg

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Go with what you know. Your Potter is perfectly capable of the trip. Save the cash and set it up a little better for the voyage.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The Loops are very long trips. It sounds like you plan on doing them in segments. How long will each segment be? The Nimble looks to be a more comfortable boat for extended trips.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
There is a nimble for sale by owner in our marina. original owner, light use, fresh water. PM me and I'll get you the contact information. I think it's around 25k

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'd go with the Potter, if she's was the one I already owned. WWPs are proven seaworthy boats that sail all over the world. On the other hand, I think you want the Nimble, so go with the Nimble. One should retire with the boat they want.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 9, 2013
The Loops are very long trips. It sounds like you plan on doing them in segments. How long will each segment be? The Nimble looks to be a more comfortable boat for extended trips.
I've sailed the Texas 200 a couple of times. In that event each leg is about 25 miles, which the potter can do easily in eight hours. I would probably replicate that but over a longer period, I think I'll start with the Texas 200, but continue on sailing 200 miles per week, except when I stop for sight seeing.

Jul 9, 2013
There is a nimble for sale by owner in our marina. original owner, light use, fresh water. PM me and I'll get you the contact information. I think it's around 25k
Unless there is another, I called on that one and Capt Jean, the broker said it was sold.

Jul 9, 2013
I'd go with the Potter, if she's was the one I already owned. WWPs are proven seaworthy boats that sail all over the world. On the other hand, I think you want the Nimble, so go with the Nimble. One should retire with the boat they want.

-Will (Dragonfly)
In agreement with a Dragonfly owner, as one ages, a smaller boat is easier to contend with. The Nimbles I have seen were owned by men who don't have the strength or time to put up and take down a Nimble. I've seen many posts, by sailors who have sold the big boat for a small one such as a Potter or Dragon Fly.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've sailed the Texas 200 a couple of times. In that event each leg is about 25 miles, which the potter can do easily in eight hours. I would probably replicate that but over a longer period, I think I'll start with the Texas 200, but continue on sailing 200 miles per week, except when I stop for sight seeing.
This is a really ambitious schedule that requires sailing every day. You will run into periods of bad weather and other delays. In either boat, I think you will be lucky to average 100 miles a week. That's four, maybe five 25 mile days.

The reason I asked about the time frame is about the amount of time you will spend living with others in a very small space, especially when the weather turns bad and you're stuck in the boat for a day or two. The Nimble looks to be a bit roomier and with the pilot house and standing headroom it will be lighter and easier to cope with being stuck in a harbor or anchorage.

Jul 26, 2017
MacGregor Venture of Newport 23 Aldie, Virginia. Chesapeake Ba
Two very different boats. The Nimble is more comfortable in many ways and I would guess more seaworthy. How many aboard? However, a lot more effort to launch and retrieve and bigger vehicle to tow - that's a tall 4000 lbs plus water & fuel & stores & 1,000 lb trailer = 5500 lb to retrieve and secure and tow if your F150 is adequate. $25,000 to $40,000 is a lot or a little depending on your income/bank balance, and bigger boats cost more to operate and maintain but you might attract more mermaids with the motor sailor with indoor steering. If you're solo or 2 and familiar with your Potter 19, maybe keep it for the first leg or two and keep your eyes open for something else, which might be in between the 1200 lb Potter and 4000 lb Nimble.
(like my Venture of Newport 23 cutter, 2200 dry lbs, all lines led to cockpit)

Dec 4, 2018
Balboa 27 Denver
Nah, this is to trendy for me, a potter or nimble? Get an old late 70’s trailerable like a Balboa 26 or 27. I have a 27 with a cute little BMW diesel, centerboard and 5K lbs. Easy tabernacle mast, Launch and tow Etc.

Get out of the box, I used to laugh at the Nimble folks spending 10 times what a more comfortable classic real sailboat would cost. Hysterical.

Jul 9, 2013
Nah, this is to trendy for me, a potter or nimble? Get an old late 70’s trailerable like a Balboa 26 or 27. I have a 27 with a cute little BMW diesel, centerboard and 5K lbs. Easy tabernacle mast, Launch and tow Etc.

Get out of the box, I used to laugh at the Nimble folks spending 10 times what a more comfortable classic real sailboat would cost. Hysterical.
But can you drop the mast low enough to power underneath the low bridges on the Erie Canal?
Will the minimum draft allow you past the shallows along the Texas coast where out of the channel the water is very thin as little as 6 inches?

Dec 4, 2018
Balboa 27 Denver
But can you drop the mast low enough to power underneath the low bridges on the Erie Canal?
Will the minimum draft allow you past the shallows along the Texas coast where out of the channel the water is very thin as little as 6 inches?
Nope and wouldn’t want to, a mosquito heaven. Yeeech. 2 ft 4 inches is as shallow as I want AND that has nothing to do with the LOOP, anyway. Yes the mast is low enough for any of that, and with a nifty little diesel can motor safety nearly forever. Think out of the box, not in it. People buy nimbles and potter and such cause they are quirky and fashionable, not cause they are useful..

Just trying to help expand youR horizons.

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
You know the Erie canal bridges be like 20 feet or thereabouts, yes? And solid American steel, too, was on a MV once lost the radar to one and then the radar mount to another, I wasn't at the wheel for either, thankfully, we're just going along and BOOM!!!!

Jul 26, 2017
MacGregor Venture of Newport 23 Aldie, Virginia. Chesapeake Ba
You know the Erie canal bridges be like 20 feet or thereabouts, yes? And solid American steel, too, was on a MV once lost the radar to one and then the radar mount to another, I wasn't at the wheel for either, thankfully, we're just going along and BOOM!!!!
That the one. It belonged to Cpt Jean
What other boats have decent standing room? My Venture of Newport 23 has 4 feet headroom in the maín cabin. There is a poptop that is about 5.3 feet but only for while anchored. I'm happy with the boat and its length and handling (it's a cutter with lines led to cockpit and downhauls) and old hp outboard, and easy to trailer but would be interested in more headroom below.
Bud Kayakeur
in eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains in Virginia, 50 miles from Chesapeake Bay.