Sailing narragansett bay and buzzards bay 2019

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
We have some family memories of the 'canal'.
View attachment 160012
One day we were entering the Hog Island Channel heading East and coming right at us with a big bell on (against the current) is USCG 150 footer. His wake damn near capsized us (Pearson 39 yawl) and we just did get the forward hatch closed in time....If we ever do Maine again we'll just go out Nantucket Sound and up to P-town. We did it once before and on a nice day (the only kind of days we venture forth:) it is a beautiful passage...

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Honestly, I would limit my time to Narragansett Bay. One week is not enough time to experience all it has to offer. Block Island maybe but anything more and all you will be doing is sailing with no time to experience the areas. Save Cape Cod and the Islands for another trip.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Honestly, I would limit my time to Narragansett Bay. One week is not enough time to experience all it has to offer. Block Island maybe but anything more and all you will be doing is sailing with no time to experience the areas. Save Cape Cod and the Islands for another trip.
Good point, Bob. I heard that the Herreshoff Museum at Bristol is well worth a visit. I have stayed at Conanicut Marina; lots of moorings and a launch service. Step off the dock into downtown Jamestown. I have preferred staying here to avoid the congestion of Newport, but of course, there is much to see in Newport itself.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Herreshoff Museum at Bristol
Thumbs up for that museum. It's incredible, and there is so much to read in the placards and stories posted next to each of the exhibits. If you're with kids you'll be limited due to their attention spans, but either way it's really worth a visit as a "must see" in Narragansett Bay (if rain is in the forecast try to get there, as it's an indoor activity that is truly interesting for anyone who likes to mess with boats). Also, the Museum offers transient moorings, FYI. Another great stop is the maritime college in Newport.
PS - @TomY thanks for the photo essay on Edgartown. I'll try that spot next time, if the forecast is for settled weather.