Sailing narragansett bay and buzzards bay 2019

Sep 7, 2018
catalina 27 Sodus bay
Hello all, I am planning on bareboat chartering a sailboat out of Barrington in the summer of 2019. I have been doing a vast amount of reading on the area and trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can in advance. Most of my sailing as been on the great lakes in my Catalina 27 and on my fathers Irwin 37 CC. I'm looking for any feed back, suggestion, advice on location to visit during my week long charter. Places to avoid, first hand experiences from everyone who calls these waters home. :)

From what I have read, Cuttyhunk Island is a must stop and is on my list. Jamestown island is also on my list. I have heard that Quissit harbor is great also. I have read mixed reviews on Block island.

Anywho, thank you all in advance for feed back. Cheers to putting the rail in the water.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Cuttyhunk and the Vineyard make a nice trip and stop in Newport on either end. We used to do that trip every summer when we lived up north. The is nothing to do on Cuttyhunk so the other stops are mental health breaks from boredom.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
If you want to stay in Narragansett Bay, you can anchor at Potter's Cove at the north end of Prudence Island. Take your dinghy ashore and walk the island down to the general store/post office/ferry terminal. If you are in the Bristol area on 4th of July, Bristol has a spectacular parade. Bring a folding chair because it is almost 3 hours long! If you don't want to take a mooring to visit Jamestown Island, you can anchor on the west side in Dutch Harbor and take your dinghy in. It is a 30 minute walk up the hill and down to Jamestown. Then take a water taxi over to Newport. Anchoring in Newport is good just off of the Ida Lewis YC. Be aware of the cable area. If you are interested in Naval vessels, head under the Mt. Hope bridge east up to Fall River and visit Battleship Cove. One of the last remaining battle ships plus 4 other naval vessels are available for self-tour. You can even enter the big gun turrets on the battleship! There is a PT Boat museum there also. It is a full day of looking.
Block Island is OK but the anchoring is not great- weeds in the lower depths so you want to anchor in 25-30 feet or take a town mooring. It is a 45 minute walk to the town of New Shorem where most of the action is located. If you have never been there it is OK, but I have visited many times over 35 years and it is not one of my favorite places. YMMV.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
If you want to stay in Narragansett Bay, you can anchor at Potter's Cove at the north end of Prudence Island. Take your dinghy ashore and walk the island down to the general store/post office/ferry terminal. If you are in the Bristol area on 4th of July, Bristol has a spectacular parade. Bring a folding chair because it is almost 3 hours long! If you don't want to take a mooring to visit Jamestown Island, you can anchor on the west side in Dutch Harbor and take your dinghy in. It is a 30 minute walk up the hill and down to Jamestown. Then take a water taxi over to Newport. Anchoring in Newport is good just off of the Ida Lewis YC. Be aware of the cable area. If you are interested in Naval vessels, head under the Mt. Hope bridge east up to Fall River and visit Battleship Cove. One of the last remaining battle ships plus 4 other naval vessels are available for self-tour. You can even enter the big gun turrets on the battleship! There is a PT Boat museum there also. It is a full day of looking.
Block Island is OK but the anchoring is not great- weeds in the lower depths so you want to anchor in 25-30 feet or take a town mooring. It is a 45 minute walk to the town of New Shorem where most of the action is located. If you have never been there it is OK, but I have visited many times over 35 years and it is not one of my favorite places. YMMV.
Yeah, we go to Block in June and September before the crowds arrive. Anchoring is better with few boats.

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Pearson 10M Fall River, MA
+1 on potters cove. Dutch harbour is great. There is also a mooring area right next to the battleship in fall river.
Also check out wickford RI, and Bristol harbor is a must. Lots of great options in Narragansett bay

Jan 1, 2019
Ellis 36 Bristol
Some of our favorite anchorages:
Naragansett Bay:
Wickford Harbor (yacht club moorings in outer harbor)
Allens Harbor - rental mooring
Dutch Harbor - (anchor out or rental mooring)
Foglands - Sakonnet River (anchor out)
Third Beach - Sakonnet River (town moorings or anchor out)
Kickamuit River - Bristol east (anchor out)
Potters Cove - Prudence Island north (busy - avoid on weekends)
Newport - anchor out or rental mooring

Buzzards Bay:
Cuttyhunk - town mooring in inner pond
Hadleys Harbor - at west side of Woods Hole - free moorings in inner harbor are marked private but are open to boaters - busy on weekends
Quissett Harbor - rental mooring (not good in westerly or southwesterly)
Pocassett Harbor/Redbrook Harbor/Bassetts - anchor out
Mattapoisett Harbor - anchor out
Onset Harbor - anchor out or rental mooring

Marthas Vineyard:
Lake Tashmoo - anchor out or rental mooring
Edgartown - anchor out or town rental mooring

And more.

Enjoy

Oct 1, 2007
Naragansett Bay:

Buzzards Bay:
Hadleys Harbor - at west side of Woods Hole - free moorings in inner harbor are marked private but are open to boaters - busy on weekends

Marthas Vineyard:

And more.

Enjoy
Are there now rental moorings in Tashmoo?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We like Cuttyhunk. Totally protected harbor and a throwback to a simpler lifestyle. Must do breakfast at the Fishing Club, on the veranda overlooking Vineyard Sound. Sail Buzzard's Bay (choppy at times) to Onset and anchor or take a mooring (town or private). Motor up the Cape Cod Canal; go with the flow, literally. Currents are very high here. Or sail down Buzzard's Bay to Wood's Hole and transit to Martha's Vineyard. Check the tables for currents here, and pay strict attention to channel markers. Slack tide is best. Even a fair tide can get hairy here.
Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I should mention that an easier transit from Cuttyhunk to Martha's Vineyard is to use Quick's Hole, just to the north of Cuttyhunk. Once in Vineyard Sound, you have several places you could stop and explore; Menemsha on the Vineyard, Tarpaulin Cove on Naushon Island, Vineyard Haven, Edgartown, etc.

Jan 1, 2019
Ellis 36 Bristol
Yes, rental moorings are available from Tashmoo Boatyard. Call ahead to be sure moorings are available.
508-693-9311.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Definately Quick's Hole from Cuttyhunk to Martha's Vineyard. Do not use the hole at Cuttyhunk or Robinson's Hole. Both can be treacherous. Especially the one at Cuttyhunk. If you anchor outside at Cuttyhunk like I do, choose a spot that is at least 15 feet deep so that the weeks don't foul your anchor. The shallow anchor spots have lots of weeds.

Oct 1, 2007
Yes, rental moorings are available from Tashmoo Boatyard. Call ahead to be sure moorings are available.
508-693-9311.
Thank you. I know the boatyard but never imagined they had rental moorings.
Thanks
Rick

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Naragansett Bay:

Buzzards Bay:

Marthas Vineyard:

And more.

Enjoy
Great list. Where do you anchor in Edgartown? Those reversing currents are treacherous, and I've always taken a mooring there, but maybe you know something I don't?

Oct 1, 2007
Great list. Where do you anchor in Edgartown? Those reversing currents are treacherous, and I've always taken a mooring there, but maybe you know something I don't?
There is an anchorage just north of Chappy and east of the harbor entrance. If you have been in there you pass the anchorage on your left hand as you enter. A bit boisterous out there for my tastes. I yearn for the days when anchoring was permitted south of town in Katama.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Should you decide to transit the Cape Cod Canal, you need to time it with the tide. Easily researchable and doable.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
There is an anchorage just north of Chappy and east of the harbor entrance. If you have been in there you pass the anchorage on your left hand as you enter. A bit boisterous out there for my tastes. I yearn for the days when anchoring was permitted south of town in Katama.
Thanks for the info. I knew that spot and will stick with moorings there. As you mentioned, boisterous- and exposed from the north. A long dinghy ride to the town dinghy dock and difficult currents. I wouldn’t want to row against the ebb or flood.

Oct 1, 2007
Should you decide to transit the Cape Cod Canal, you need to time it with the tide. Easily researchable and doable.
Three other tips on transiting the canal(experience based :( ):
1. Favor weekdays rather than weekends in the summer when there are large sportfish transiting the canal at high speed (which is against the rules but they do it anyway) and in the "land cut" they cause a very choppy sea with wakes reflecting off the rip rap sides. Very uncomfortable for small, slow boats such as us.
2. Call Canal Control on 13 an hour or so before you enter and ask whether the railroad bridge will be lowered in the next couple of hours. Being trapped in a strong current waiting for the bridge to raise is a pain.
3. Avoid late afternoon transits south into Buzzard's Bay when a big southerly is up as the Hog Island Channel whips up a very rough sea with the current running against the wind, as Sailme88 points out.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Thanks for the info. I knew that spot and will stick with moorings there. As you mentioned, boisterous- and exposed from the north. A long dinghy ride to the town dinghy dock and difficult currents. I wouldn’t want to row against the ebb or flood.
We've had great luck in that anchorage in the prevailing winds, on 2 or 3 visits over the years. Great holding but the best part is the vista from the anchorage and the public beaches that are right off the boat.

We swim off the boat right here. Good access to the dinghy dock right in town even by oar (watch the chaotic ferry crossing). Plus it is a good harbor to dinghy sail.

Anchored for the night.jpg

I wouldn't use it in the wrong wind forecast. We're anchored (above) just outside the main channel. To the right is the public beach on Edgartown, and on the left, the public beach on Chappy.

Believe it or not, this is how I remember the conditions of all those overnights (5 or 6) in prevailing winds, no matter how strong. Current isn't too strong out of the channel.
Placid anchorage in a south breeze.jpg

Just inside, it is chaotic especially near the ferry crossing, out here, another world away.
Rowing to Chappaquidick.jpg

You're just outside of the touristy Edgartown, but right on the edge.
Sailing into the harbor .jpg

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Three other tips on transiting the canal(experience based :( ):
1. Favor weekdays rather than weekends in the summer when there are large sportfish transiting the canal at high speed (which is against the rules but they do it anyway) and in the "land cut" they cause a very choppy sea with wakes reflecting off the rip rap sides. Very uncomfortable for small, slow boats such as us.
2. Call Canal Control on 13 an hour or so before you enter and ask whether the railroad bridge will be lowered in the next couple of hours. Being trapped in a strong current waiting for the bridge to raise is a pain.
3. Avoid late afternoon transits south into Buzzard's Bay when a big southerly is up as the Hog Island Channel whips up a very rough sea with the current running against the wind, as Sailme88 points out.
We have some family memories of the 'canal'.
Wave onboard westbound CCC .jpg