Sailing in the time of Coronavirus

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
These are also very popular in Northern Spain. There they also do a similar type fishing set-up, and the little guys are really pricey! But oh my, are they delicious when prepared correctly!

It's amazing where earth has creatures that are diadromous. Eels are catadromous, and salmon are anadromous. I only know these two species, anybody know other diadromous creatures and which way do they go?

dj
The Alewives are running up the same rivers as the Elvers along our coast. I'm thinking they are anadromous like salmon?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Oh yes, thats one. Shad, of many types. are anadromous. I can't think of anything other than eel that are catadromous however... Must be others...

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I believe striped sea bass are diadromous.
Tarpon and redfish also split their time between fresh and salt water.
There are a number of species in Florida I've seen in both, sheepshead, mullet and sharks come immediately to mind. Some crabs too.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
Manatee are normally in fresh water, but I saw one in the Atlantic. It appeared to be trying to find Sebastian Inlet and get back to fresh water. OK, brackish.

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
speaking of modeling .........................

i have made the personal choice to sequester myself to my house in the burbs in toledo. my pantry is full. i'm guessing/hoping to look at aeolus sailing in aug/sept. prolly just a dream.

so ......... modeling : my other hobby is radio control airplanes. most fun on a zero wind day. am building a great planes revolver model. 70 inch wingspan. putting a OS 95 ax engine in it. i use a JR PCM FM radio

next will be a balsa usa kit. model: 1/4 scale nieuport 11. WW1 fighter

well, i too love models as i hide from virus
Have you checked out the aerodrome Rc kits? Really nice detail, lots of work. building the Sopwith Pup made me decide to switch over to building boats. I figured if I was gonna put that much effort in, I might as well be able to ride in it.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Things are slowing down at a time; spring time, when they usually begin to speed up.

I noticed the parking lot of our local boatyard/builder which employs more than 50 full time workers, was empty. Sure enough, I found new today that they decided to close until end of April. However, the small outside crew launching docks, which also launches boats, is still working.

But they don't intend to do much launching. I know they won't be stepping any spars until the end of the month. And that date is all tenative. We don't know that much about this pandemic and certainly can't make an accurate prediction of when it will be time to get back to any sort of normal.

There's still hydraulic trailers that will launch, I suppose, and at least one small crane operator that will step masts. But I'm staying off the boat for now. Maybe be doing something on it at the end of the month.

We're getting out everyday walking with no danger from others. The sea is all around us here. Walking in a little graveyard in town we looked for the descendants that built our old house sometime around 1850.

Found a couple of headstones and this one - perhaps a brother of the original Talbot owner - made me feel lucky to be alive.

Talboat grave stone.JPG

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
a sailor's life was a hard life. back when 'boats were wood and men were steel'

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I found new today that they decided to close until end of April.
On the Ontario Board of Health news conference this morning they advised that social distancing would continue for at least one year and possibly two years. One of those times when you really hope the experts are wrong!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
On the Ontario Board of Health news conference this morning they advised that social distancing would continue for at least one year and possibly two years. One of those times when you really hope the experts are wrong!
Until there’s an effective vaccine, and/or enough hospital capacity, and ventilators, and medical personnel. The math is what it is, and our bungling elected officials (most of them) keep @#$&ing up. I’m finding it hard to be optimistic right now. This inflationary stimulus plan is just a bandaid - not very effective on a deep infection. Printing money just devalues everything and treats symptoms but doesn’t address the root cause.