Sailing in the time of Coronavirus

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
my middle name is winthrop, my first name is jon. 1635 my people started that little town called boston. ever heard of it? maybe all the people from say 1700 on should now leave! just being silly.
i'm old and crusty too ......

1585408462952.png

know this guy? he's my people too. his brother is a huge family embarrassment, we don't talk about him much.

Increase Mather

oh we got a lot of wack jobs in the family

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
. Do you stay put -as is recommended- or go to a place with a much lower infection rate (so far)? Tough call, it would be for me.
I guess my point is if you want to flee a high infection rate area, you should do so. But be smart about it & quarantine yourselves for 14 days before going to public places. In our town I've seen a surge of Mass, NY & NJ plates in the last couple of days. The NY & NJ folks were at the local Shaws supermarket.
Based on the timeline they haven't quarantined & that's the problem...
The comedian Ron White said it best, you can't fix stupid.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
floating pariahs planning to sail this season
growing class war as second homers and urban vacationers are heading to their vacation homes to 'escape'. Some locals are beginning to rebel knowing their support systems, stores, medical services and supplies, will be overwhelmed.
if you want to flee a high infection rate area
Boy Tom identifies a great environment where locals help each other. In Maine it is scallops and cheap lobster.

Would that include residents of vacation homes, or would the community idea of class war second homers cause locals to "shun" these immigrants seeking asylum from "high infection rate areas" because they are "different" not locals.

This could be defined as "Classism" a common practice in India, and yet we would not think it could be prevalent in a "open and Progressive" community. That is until it is.

Is it morally right or wrong to protect a limited resource (hospital beds - in this current pandemic) from "escapees" who are not locals.

Times of stress challenge our inner compass to cope with the concepts we have of survival.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Here's how RI has decided to cope with New Yorkers fleeing the state.

My buddy has a second home on the outer banks. He considered heading down till he found out Thursday the county has placed Jersey barriers & a couple of officers with M4's. If you weren't already on the island, your not getting on. He called the county commissioner who told him he didn't care he owned a home there, stay where you are.

If more states/places acted like this than perhaps people will realize there's no place to run to & would just stay the home to slow down the spread like we're being told to. Those that don't are being arrogant & reckless.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I find that attitude sad and not surprising from New England. First thing I remember a "local" friend telling me when my son was born in Maine was congrats but he can't be a Mainer until 2 more generations were born here...

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Here's how RI has decided to cope with New Yorkers fleeing the state.

My buddy has a second home on the outer banks. He considered heading down till he found out Thursday the county has placed Jersey barriers & a couple of officers with M4's. If you weren't already on the island, your not getting on. He called the county commissioner who told him he didn't care he owned a home there, stay where you are.

If more states/places acted like this than perhaps people will realize there's no place to run to & would just stay the home to slow down the spread like we're being told to. Those that don't are being arrogant & reckless.
Last week the County of Maui put up a digital sign on the Road to Hana restricting traffic to locals only. Hana is very isolated and does not have a hospital. I live off Hana Highway, and for several days, I saw tourists heading out to Hana, driving right past the sign. The local residents in Hana finally put up a road block, making sure only locals got past.
We are now under stay at home orders, and Maui PD is supposed to check anyone on the roads to be sure their travel is essential. The thought of this virus spreading on the island, with our limited resources, is frightening.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Boy Tom identifies a great environment where locals help each other. In Maine it is scallops and cheap lobster.

Would that include residents of vacation homes, or would the community idea of class war second homers cause locals to "shun" these immigrants seeking asylum from "high infection rate areas" because they are "different" not locals.

This could be defined as "Classism" a common practice in India, and yet we would not think it could be prevalent in a "open and Progressive" community. That is until it is.

Is it morally right or wrong to protect a limited resource (hospital beds - in this current pandemic) from "escapees" who are not locals.

Times of stress challenge our inner compass to cope with the concepts we have of survival.
Things are pretty tame here compared to points south where real limits are being imposed.

Having said that, if you were en-route to your island home off our coast, you might find this account just yesterday in our local news, disturbing:

Knox County deputies investigate Vinalhaven incident: Tree cut to barricade driveway, quarantine demanded

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes @Will Gilmore powerful set up for a story.

Leadership is not an easy thing. There are lots of stories and ideas shared about what makes a leader or how this or that makes a good leader, but until you have to make decisions for others it is all theoretical jibber jabber. :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Things are pretty tame here compared to points south where real limits are being imposed.

Having said that, if you were en-route to your island home off our coast, you might find this account just yesterday in our local news, disturbing:

Knox County deputies investigate Vinalhaven incident: Tree cut to barricade driveway, quarantine demanded

Yes Tom, that is disturbing. Made even more so by the idea that the self-elected quarantine enforcers might, until then, seem like perfectly good neighbors and reasonable people. We all have the capacity to behave badly. We can even look at outside examples of it with amazed indignation while turning immediately around and committing the very same outrage without realizing we are guilty of the very same act we just condemned.

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
From the Nanticoke Indian tribe web site:

ONE EVENING, AN ELDERLY CHEROKEE BRAVE TOLD HIS GRANDSON ABOUT A BATTLE THAT GOES ON INSIDE PEOPLE.

HE SAID "MY SON, THE BATTLE IS BETWEEN TWO 'WOLVES' INSIDE US ALL. ONE IS EVIL. IT IS ANGER, ENVY, JEALOUSY, SORROW, REGRET, GREED, ARROGANCE, SELF-PITY, GUILT, RESENTMENT, INFERIORITY, LIES, FALSE PRIDE, SUPERIORITY, AND EGO.

THE OTHER IS GOOD. IT IS JOY, PEACE LOVE, HOPE SERENITY, HUMILITY, KINDNESS, BENEVOLENCE, EMPATHY, GENEROSITY, TRUTH, COMPASSION AND FAITH."

THE GRANDSON THOUGH ABOUT IT FOR A MINUTE AND THEN ASKED HIS GRANDFATHER:

"WHICH WOLF WINS?..."

THE OLD CHEROKEE SIMPLY REPLIED,

"THE ONE THAT YOU FEED"

dj

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Being in the emergency services world, I've been privy to some recent trends and patterns. One being the "anticipate this" emails from the higher ups. The ongoing pattern has been 3 to 5 days and the "anticipate this" has come to "this is happening". That being said, there has been some breaks in the pattern but I would anticipate a required documentation of why you are out in the following week (s) in Wa state. I hope I'm wrong but looking at NY and LA, I think this won't be limited to a couple states. Get your shit in order now why you can. I have not idea how this will be enforced so no need to argue with me but looking at the traffic around here, I think it will come to it.

Stay safe, think about cross contamination, read the labels on your sanitizer products (and follow them) and wash you hands. Cell phones, car keys, credit cards and what you put them in are highly overlooked items for cross contamination.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Mike - that's what we need. More people on the front line who can say it like it is.
Being in the emergency services world, I've been privy to some recent trends and patterns. One being the "anticipate this" emails from the higher ups. The ongoing pattern has been 3 to 5 days and the "anticipate this" has come to "this is happening". That being said, there has been some breaks in the pattern but I would anticipate a required documentation of why you are out in the following week (s) in Wa state. I hope I'm wrong but looking at NY and LA, I think this won't be limited to a couple states. Get your shit in order now why you can. I have not idea how this will be enforced so no need to argue with me but looking at the traffic around here, I think it will come to it.
In today's, maybe it was yesterday's, local news paper web page, it said that the Kitsap County confirmed cases are 41, and that was an increase of DOUBLE THIS WEEK!
This is nowhere near the beginning of a flatter curve! This is EXPONENTIAL!
Just did a drive around the area to see what the traffic was like and it is light ... that is good. Well, it is cold, rainy, and windy, not nice to be out. The nearby grocery store did not have many cars in the parking lot. When I was there last Wednesday, at the checkout they had installed a tall and wide clear plastic sheet screen where the conveyor belt and checker is (to protect the checker), and they put tape lines on the floor that indicated how many feet there is between each line. They did this all on their own with absolutely no input from the County Health Department.

What this tells me is that the County Commissioners are not telling the County Health Department what they should be doing in order to provide support for those business that are authorized, or required, to be open. The businesses and their employees are pretty much on their own to figure this out. Not good.

The County has the staff with the education and licenses to provide support, and if they don't, then the State (WA) has health staff, access to health-related contractors, hospitals, colleges and universities, not to mention other resources. The County inspects restaurants, hair salons, bars, and who knows what else so why aren't they supporting or directing what the authorized businesses should be doing, as a minimum.

The plastic shield, or divider, was an excellent idea. The person doing the bagging, however, didn't have the same protection. Speaking of bags, plastic bags were not permitted as of, I think, Dec 31; however, that's what they're using now, along with paper bags. Customers are not allowed to use their own bags (good thinking). So the prohibition of plastic bags lasted ... two months!

Okay, back to the news today. There are 41 CONFIRMED cases in the County as of yesterday, and that is DOUBLE what is was at the beginning of the week (Sunday), that's only 6 days for doubling. and at the beginning of the month there was only ONE.
March 1 = 1
March 27 = 41
Does that mean there are 41 NEW individuals with the virus in the County? NO. It takes about 5 days for symptoms to show up (or, so I've read). How long does it take for someone who has symptoms to get a test? How long does it take for the test results? How long does it take for an infected person to become a contagious? Need a health expert here 'cuz I don't know.
Depending on how many people have contracted the virus from the, now Confirmed case (typically several), we're looking at a snowballing situation. Unless the County Councilmen (-persons?) get a handle on this, things will go out of control.
Let's see what happens next week.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You are obviously not from New England. Here, you're only local if your grand parents were born here and no one can remember your family came from somewhere else.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Haha. I was born and raised on the Southside, Mass. Where are you from?

Sailed away for warmer climates in 2015 and have only been back once for a funeral. Can't say I miss it. But I do miss $1 oysters at happy hour.

Fair winds

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Mike - that's what we need. More people on the front line who can say it like it is.

In today's, maybe it was yesterday's, local news paper web page, it said that the Kitsap County confirmed cases are 41, and that was an increase of DOUBLE THIS WEEK!
This is nowhere near the beginning of a flatter curve! This is EXPONENTIAL!
Just did a drive around the area to see what the traffic was like and it is light ... that is good. Well, it is cold, rainy, and windy, not nice to be out. The nearby grocery store did not have many cars in the parking lot. When I was there last Wednesday, at the checkout they had installed a tall and wide clear plastic sheet screen where the conveyor belt and checker is (to protect the checker), and they put tape lines on the floor that indicated how many feet there is between each line. They did this all on their own with absolutely no input from the County Health Department.

What this tells me is that the County Commissioners are not telling the County Health Department what they should be doing in order to provide support for those business that are authorized, or required, to be open. The businesses and their employees are pretty much on their own to figure this out. Not good.

The County has the staff with the education and licenses to provide support, and if they don't, then the State (WA) has health staff, access to health-related contractors, hospitals, colleges and universities, not to mention other resources. The County inspects restaurants, hair salons, bars, and who knows what else so why aren't they supporting or directing what the authorized businesses should be doing, as a minimum.

The plastic shield, or divider, was an excellent idea. The person doing the bagging, however, didn't have the same protection. Speaking of bags, plastic bags were not permitted as of, I think, Dec 31; however, that's what they're using now, along with paper bags. Customers are not allowed to use their own bags (good thinking). So the prohibition of plastic bags lasted ... two months!

Okay, back to the news today. There are 41 CONFIRMED cases in the County as of yesterday, and that is DOUBLE what is was at the beginning of the week (Sunday), that's only 6 days for doubling. and at the beginning of the month there was only ONE.
March 1 = 1
March 27 = 41
Does that mean there are 41 NEW individuals with the virus in the County? NO. It takes about 5 days for symptoms to show up (or, so I've read). How long does it take for someone who has symptoms to get a test? How long does it take for the test results? How long does it take for an infected person to become a contagious? Need a health expert here 'cuz I don't know.
Depending on how many people have contracted the virus from the, now Confirmed case (typically several), we're looking at a snowballing situation. Unless the County Councilmen (-persons?) get a handle on this, things will go out of control.
Let's see what happens next week.
No one knows for sure but I believe the increase in numbers is not only due to new cases but also, and more so, increase in testing a week ago when the big yelling match on testing started. I expected to see multipliers of 4 and 5 and I'm glad that isn't the case. It takes about 5 days for results. Talk is you are contagious before symptoms. We have multiple people quarantined waiting on results. If you test positive its a automatic 14 day quarantine. To be honest I expected this week to be the start of the really "bad" times. Its either delayed due to measures being taken or this is it but I don't think the later. NY, New Orleans and San Fran has my attention. The path they go is a good representation for the rest of us.