Sailing a B331 to Bermuda??

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Hi, I am thinking of sailing my B331 to Bermuda from Nova Scotia. What are your thoughts? How can I find out if in the event it flips over, will it self-right?

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Hello,
The B331 is a CE A class boat. She is built to ocean crossing standards. Have a look at security measures to take for ocean crossing such as securing hatch-boards to the boat, sole openings, the ice-box door, make sure the oven-stove can't get loose etc. Make and test a spare rudder, test the safety direction system. Take enough separately bottled water to make the trip (the main tanks can get fouled). Your standing rigging should be inspected before leaving.
It's a lot cheaper but less fun to take a plane. Been to Bermuda & back 3 times; all good experiences. Did BDA to NS once, loved it. Re-check your reefing lines you might get a little wind... Don't tie down the foot of the sail when reefed: you could rip your sail if a reefing line breaks.
It's usually the people, not the boat that have difficulties...

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Just read a bit more about offshore sailing regulations... To be certified CE class A a boat must respect the latest requirements pertaining to capsizing and in the event of a capsize the requirements for self-righting. The 311 does all that. You should also carry shears or a mallet and punch to get rapidly rid of the standing rigging still attached to the mast... You don't want the mast remnant to puncture the hull. These provisions are all for extreme situations; you make the decisions!
https://www.sailing.org/specialregs

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hello,
The B331 is a CE A class boat. She is built to ocean crossing standards. Have a look at security measures to take for ocean crossing such as securing hatch-boards to the boat, sole openings, the ice-box door, make sure the oven-stove can't get loose etc. Make and test a spare rudder, test the safety direction system. Take enough separately bottled water to make the trip (the main tanks can get fouled). Your standing rigging should be inspected before leaving.
It's a lot cheaper but less fun to take a plane. Been to Bermuda & back 3 times; all good experiences. Did BDA to NS once, loved it. Re-check your reefing lines you might get a little wind... Don't tie down the foot of the sail when reefed: you could rip your sail if a reefing line breaks.
Just an FYI. The Class A rating for the Oceanis 331 applies to those models with the bulb keel and “new” lifting keel. The model with the original lifting keel rates Class B, according to the STIX list of ratings.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Preparing is a two part task. First and easiest is preparing the boat. A "Rating / Certification" is just a number in time. It is up to the skipper to prepare the boat.

Equally it is up to the skipper to prepare himself/herself for the passage. Then prepare the crew.

I think then the tough part is to untie the lines. I always get butterflies. But they go away as I get into my planned routine.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
It is a keelboat and not particularly wide, it will self right. Sailing distance is what 800nm if you do 150 mi a day 5.5 days. I think that means you can pick a weather window that is pretty reliable. So you shouldn't really find yourself upside down. There is a long list of suggested equipment, some can be rented. Here is a list http://sfbaysss.org/main/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/SHTP-2018_SER_011718.pdf The $$ bits are emergency rudder, life raft. Lots of stuff is cheap-ish like wooden plugs of appropriate size secured to all through hulls, and 2 working bilge pumps.

Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
I know about commercial drogues and it is unlikely I’ll go far enough off shore to need one. That said would an anchor attached to the stern serve something of the same purpose? Let’s assume you have 25’ of chain and 100’ of rope with a 13 lb fluke( this is not my primary anchor). If deployed would it slow the boat?

Oct 22, 2014
Good question @DaveFromOregon1
Not sure where your moored, but if you plan on going out in the Pacific more than day sailing, then it is advised to avoid the need of a drogue by attentive weather monitoring.
The drogue is an alternative to what was done for years, throw a "warp" off the stern and secure it to the transom. A warp was a long line. Usually a large line of hemp. Think 300 to 600 feet of 2 inch. It would runout behind the boat to slow the boat down the crest of a large swell. As in falling it is not the ride down that is the problem it is the sudden stop at the bottom. So is it in large swells as you hit the bottom of the trough.
If this is more than inquisitive interest there are several sights I would suggest you explore and some books of first hand accounts sailing in dangerous seas. Send me a PM.
Most NW Sailors avoid the adventure of conditions that would need a drogue. We really have great weather forecasting for this. You can inquire about coastal Ocean cruising from @Stu Jackson who sailed his 34ft Catalina from San Francisco to Vancouver Island a couple of years ago. Or read the adventures of @Michael Davis who sailed his boat 750NM around Vancouver Island last summer. 300 or so of the trip was down the west (Pacific) side of Vancouver Island.
Welcome to the forum. Follow our Pacific NW Cruiser SBO Forum for more insights on cruising our waters, they are heavenly.

Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
It is much more inquisitive than anything else. I have gone from Astoria to Neah Bay and back exactly once so far. You are correct that for my use, I’d be able to seek shelter before things got too ugly.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
ou can inquire about coastal Ocean cruising from @Stu Jackson who sailed his 34ft Catalina from San Francisco to Vancouver Island a couple of years ago.
Dave,

Our trip was predicated on harbor hopping on days with little to no wind.

I have gone from Astoria to Neah Bay and back
Then you know the distances and time between the Columbia River Bar, Grays Harbor, Lapush and Neah Bay. Long days each if, as we did, only daylight.

I've posted our log (with charts & photos) here:

http://aquavite224.blogspot.ca/2016/09/san-francsico-bay-to-british-columbia.html

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I know about commercial drogues and it is unlikely I’ll go far enough off shore to need one. That said would an anchor attached to the stern serve something of the same purpose? Let’s assume you have 25’ of chain and 100’ of rope with a 13 lb fluke( this is not my primary anchor). If deployed would it slow the boat?
ANYTHING will slow the boat. The question is, is it enough to slow it enough?

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Hi, I am thinking of sailing my B331 to Bermuda from Nova Scotia. What are your thoughts? How can I find out if in the event it flips over, will it self-right?
It is a five day trip and if you pick a good weather window, it should not be a problem. You can test run it at fastseas.com. If you were to leave now, you will be reaching South, 85% of the time below 25 knots, 15% of the time 25-30 knots. The first part of the trip will be more challenging but the forecast will be better. Go over the basics of the boat (rigging, fuel, engine, thru hulls, etc.), carry a communications device (Inreach is pretty good and can give you routing and weather alerts) and go for it. Check the weather frequently in the first 36 hours to be sure that something unexpected does not develop. What are you going to do once you get there?

Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
Dave,

Our trip was predicated on harbor hopping on days with little to no wind.

Then you know the distances and time between the Columbia River Bar, Grays Harbor, Lapush and Neah Bay. Long days each if, as we did, only daylight.

I've posted our log (with charts & photos) here:

San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016
I enjoyed the blog. It sounds like a fun trip. the two times I’ve done it, i did it non stop.

Oct 22, 2014
Welcome back Dave. How is the Pacific Ocean cruising?

Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
Welcome back Dave. How is the Pacific Ocean cruising?
Ive done two trips. One in 2017 where we got the crap beaten out of us going into 20knot winds and 5-6’ waves on the way up. On the way back, it was pretty painless. In 2019, we had a gentle tail wind that trailed off to nothing. I’ve never see the water so flat. It was bumpier coming back to Portland.
of course, 2020 sucked and I did no ocean sailing.

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
Bluenose, to add the the list of gear, I suggest you have a mainsail that can be reefed at least two reefs, and a storm jib. You could be blasted with a cold front or near gale that wasn't forecast when you left.

For more comfortable sailing in strong and light winds, a smaller than standard jib could be helpful, and perhaps an asymmetrical or other spinnaker for when the wind is light but still enough to sail.

I highly recommend that you learn to heave to. If you're not in a hurry and you get hit with a half day or day of more wind than you want to sail in, you can heave to and have a rest with just one on watch. Just park the boat, have a good meal, and wait for the weather to go by. Beneteaus can be twitchy to heave to, but mostly they can do it.

I'm sure you know this, but going south you'll want to cross the Gulf Stream pretty quickly, and then go south, maybe even find a back eddy that will push you in the right direction. Avoid sailing in the Gulf Stream when there is a strong north wind blowing against the current.

With respect to keeping the ocean out of the boat, you'll want to have a way to keep the companionway hatches held in place when there are big waves. If water comes over the side or from behind, the companion way hatch boards are what keep the solid water out of the cabin (and closed portholes). If it's really rough, you'll also want a way to lock the hatch closed, but with a way to open it from both sides. That way if you broach, have a knockdown, or get pooped from behind the water stays out. My Beneteau 311 companionway has lock that uses a key on the outside and a knob on the inside, but other boats may be different.

I highly recommend jacklines and harnesses, or PFD's with harnesses. Jacklines are not expensive, and the tethers made with Kong clips are great and not too expensive.