Sailboats and drones

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Quote from The ISAF RACING RULES of SAILING
AMERICA’S CUP EDITION
"41 OUTSIDE HELP
A yacht shall not receive help from any outside source, except
(a) help for the removal of an injured or ill person. Once a person has been removed
from the yacht, that person shall not be returned or replaced;
(b) after a collision, help from the crew of the other yacht or vessel to get clear;
(c) unsolicited information from a disinterested source that is not received via electronic
means, which may be another yacht in the same race;
(d) communication via RO Comms with the Race Officer and umpires and another
yacht in the same race;
(e) after a capsize, help to recover the yacht;
(f) satellite navigation systems used solely to ascertain the yacht’s position including
“aiding” signals such as DGPS (differential GPS), SBAS (space-based
augmentation signals), or RTK (real time kinematic) correction data."
I believe drone data would be considered outside help. I could be wrong, but I think I remember someone making that statement in another thread weeks ago.

- Will (Dragonfly)
Drones are not prohibited by RRS41 OUTSIDE HELP. A boat can throw and retrieve a lead line, or a mechanical knot log. But the ISAF is expected to create a judgement on it if comes up. Right now, any prohibition has to be done in the SIs. Now, crews head up the mast to have a look around. Totally legal.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
The spark will apparently follow the controller....
However, prudence is the better part of valor - I plan to stop the boat first

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
The spark will apparently follow the controller....
However, prudence is the better part of valor - I plan to stop the boat first
I had a Spark and returned it because it doesn’t have enough speed or flight time for taking photos of my boat underway, and allowing for reserve time to heave-to and land.

I bought the Mavic Pro. A more capable craft for that mission. The Spark would be great for harbors and sunset shots from the air, however.

(PS - one series of shot that I’m looking forward to is “above the fog”. Just need to be in the right place and time.)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
(PS - one series of shot that I’m looking forward to is “above the fog”. Just need to be in the right place and rime.)
Masthead sticking up above like a shark finning? Da DUM... da DUM... da DUM da DUM daDUM!:yikes:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 14, 2010
For those of you who are thinking of adding flotation to a DJI drone, I tried it with a Spark and it didn’t fly right. I added about 8 inches in length of 5/8” closed cell split pipe insulation to each side by attaching it to the prop guards with zip ties. The programmed flight controls made it go a bit crazy in the wind, and the drone almost went overboard when a gust happened and it over-corrected when trying to land on my nets.
Those floating balls people are trying for landing gear won’t have the stability needed in even small waves

PS - check out “getterback”. Also keep in mind DJI Care Refresh will replace a water damaged drone, if you can send it back to them.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2009
Hunter 36 San Diego, Ca
For those of you that have a Mavic Pro these are a real plus for hand catching the Mavic. I found that you have to disable the downward obstacle sensor so there is no issues with the extended skids. Flew it and caught it off a moored boat for 3 weeks with no problems. Waiting to develop more skills and courage to fly it sailing.

https://www.banggood.com/Landing-Ge...RC-Quadcopter-p-1145588.html?cur_warehouse=CN

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Some great drone footage from TTTP in the Volvo Ocean Race. Arial shots then down through the companion way, through the boat and out the fore hatch. Some great flying. Shows what you can do with a little practise.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That must be a small drone or very precession flying. No nicks off the inside of the boat. Helped that they looked to be becalmed.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Maybe both. Maybe editing. Impressive nonetheless. I believe when in the doldrums one looks for creative ways to pass the time.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
For those of you that have a Mavic Pro these are a real plus for hand catching the Mavic.
Those are pretty cool. I have fairly short fingers, so my fingers do not get near the props when hand catching. However, anyone would feel more comfortable with these to grab! Have you grabbed by hand on a moving platform? It gets interesting for a second as the Mavic attemps to get back to where it stopped! It throttles up to full power for a second until the motors stop. I wonder if these skids would stay on the drone? I would hate to have them come off as the drone jumps backwards over water amd have the engines cut off. The drone would go for a swim!

By the way, the mavic pro has proven by Youtubers to be quite water resistant... eeek.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Ah yes, the 3d printed Baangood legs. The same ones that firstly arrived in 8 separate pieces, and when heat-treated back to the original shape, CA'd back together. sort of, but not quite resembled the original shape, but could not be made to fit the Mavic. Buyer beware.
(And, this very conversation is precisely the reason they were ordered)

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Ah yes, the 3d printed Baangood legs. The same ones that firstly arrived in 8 separate pieces, and when heat-treated back to the original shape, CA'd back together. sort of, but not quite resembled the original shape, but could not be made to fit the Mavic. Buyer beware.
(And, this very conversation is precisely the reason they were ordered)
Haha! :cowbell:You get the award for most entertaining post in this thread! Bam!

Aug 1, 2011
For the Mavic folk, here's what little footage we got last season. There was so much smoke from the fires in bc, it made things impossible to be out for very long.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Another great video! I'm jealous of the quality compared to my unedited raw garbage :( .

Any suggestions on what is a reasonable priced basic video editor? I guess it's time for me to get further into the current century. if this keeps up I'll be buying a smart phone to replace my flip phone next. ;)

Aug 1, 2011
There's lots of simpler editors, Wondershare on the PC is an ok platform, but as Sailavie will attest to, when he too switched to FXPC on the Mac, the floodgates open. There's new plug-ins and generators almost daily, and the power of the software is simply stunning. Of course, it requires gobs of horsepower too.
On the PC, the higher end is Avid Producer, but it's more intended towards live production, like newscasts, where your pasting stuff into real time feeds.
And of course, there a ton of stuff in between.

Jun 14, 2010
There's lots of simpler editors, Wondershare on the PC is an ok platform, but as Sailavie will attest to, when he too switched to FXPC on the Mac, the floodgates open. There's new plug-ins and generators almost daily, and the power of the software is simply stunning. Of course, it requires gobs of horsepower too.
On the PC, the higher end is Avid Producer, but it's more intended towards live production, like newscasts, where your pasting stuff into real time feeds.
And of course, there a ton of stuff in between.
Good info, more on the “stuff in between “?

Oct 21, 2009
Hunter 36 San Diego, Ca
Those are pretty cool. I have fairly short fingers, so my fingers do not get near the props when hand catching. However, anyone would feel more comfortable with these to grab! Have you grabbed by hand on a moving platform? It gets interesting for a second as the Mavic attemps to get back to where it stopped! It throttles up to full power for a second until the motors stop. I wonder if these skids would stay on the drone? I would hate to have them come off as the drone jumps backwards over water amd have the engines cut off. The drone would go for a swim!

By the way, the mavic pro has proven by Youtubers to be quite water resistant... eeek.
I used these skids with a velcro strap to secure them to the unit just in case of them coming off while trying to catch the drone. As stated I am going to develop more skill and courage before trying to catch from a moving platform. The skids where purchased from Ebay and given to me by a friend.