Sail twist

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
?

Inverting? Is that a PC term for capsize? :)
Not quite. ;^)

With only swept AFT shrouds holding it, a fractional mast runs the risk of being bowed FORWARD under the pull of the sail plan. If this happens it will likely fall. So designers factor in the pre-bend of the mast to put the rig under tension (controlled bend aft) to keep this from happening. See the picture of my 260 rig below. This is with the shrouds under correct tension, and the backstay fully OFF. The bend in the mast is result of the rig tension, and the only way the mast could invert would for the tension holding the bend to come off. That can't happen as long as the shrouds are in place, so the rig is safe.

Note in light airs we often sail an entire race with the backstay off... it give a nice deep shape to the mainsail.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Hey Rich,

Interesting discussion!

I don't understand your comments about pin-set spreaders, can you try again? To my understanding, if a swept upper shroud is tightened, the spreader (if loose/pinned) will settle on the position that gives SHORTEST shroud run (a straight line) as turns are taken on. As the spreader will not compress,that section under the spreader is pushed forward, bending the mast. I don't see how this is any different than a fixed base spreader. Am I missing something?
On bendy rigs the spreaders are usually swept back and usually pinned AT the mast; the pins allow the spreader to rotate about the axis of the pin to accommodate the 'new' and variable position of the mast caused by the radical change of geometry due to the (usual) large bends encountered. The reason for this is that when mast bending (for sail shaping purposes and for heel-control) the mast (and spreaders) will automatically 'reposition' itself fore or aft in accordance to the amount of bend - the more bend applied typically the more this section of the mast bows forward, the topmost mast section moves well aft. The cap shrouds for this config. are usually single caps and maybe/sometimes/rarely a single lower shroud.
Since the mast on a bendy is set up to move fore/aft (and at different rates of movement due the varying degrees of bend along the mast ... and on-the-fly mast raking) there is usually a deep mast 'well' for the butt of the mast; the (pinned/fixed) butt of the mast is free to rotate parallel the boats centerline, the sides of the mast butt (actually several feet above the butt) are held firm by large mast blocks. Fore/aft rotation, especially aft rotation, usually loosens the cap shrouds; so, there are usually 'easily' adjusted turnbuckles (LARGE nuts on the two auxilliary chainplate extenstion) but most simply let the bendy head of the mast lean over sideways ... being restrained 'somewhat' by the bodacious forestay / backstay. Since, most bendy-rigs are set so that mast-raking can be accomplished on-the-fly; .... cant do this if the spreaders are 'fixed' and non-rotatable. As long as there arent any "S" shaped induced bends in the mast (side to side) most bendy rig sailors simply live with the side bend, as such doesnt seem to affect the aerodynamics. Most jibs on bendys are attached to athwartship travellers .... using multi-holed large 'clew-irons' - (replaces the single clew cringle) to adjust for 'twist' - no fore/aft fairleads.

FWIW - most bendy rigs, set up to adjust/tweak from either side of the boat when the crew is well hiked out, will have up to 40 (!!!!!) go-fast & control lines. All this so no one has to 'move' to accomplish any sail shaping/trimming/bilge-board, etc. adjustment - even for boats such as the A-scow with a 7 member crew. For most of the larger scows, surprisingly this has been the typical set up since the late 1800s!!!! Sandbaggers and Chesapeake Log-Canoes also have similar 'complexity'.

The pic that Joe presented is DEFINITELY a bendy rig - and well bent at that. Daveinet's boat with 'slugs' on the main, lack of multipart backstay control, non-tapered mast would more strongly indicate that Johnson put on a 'standard' rig; but, that his mast seem quite 'thin sectioned' would possibly allow correction of that 'too damn full' luff entry shape and well hooked-up/closed leech on his mainsail. When he checks the 'straightness' of that luff - we'll all know and can then give him the 'best' recommendations on how to proceed; until then he's going to have to live with that extremely bad sail shape.

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
On bendy rigs the spreaders are usually swept back and usually pinned AT the mast; the pins allow the spreader to rotate about the axis of the pin to accommodate the 'new' and variable position of the mast caused by the radical change of geometry due to the (usual) large bends encountered. The reason for this is that when mast bending (for sail shaping purposes and for heel-control) the mast (and spreaders) will automatically 'reposition' itself fore or aft in accordance to the amount of bend - the more bend applied typically the more this section of the mast bows forward, the topmost mast section moves well aft. The cap shrouds for this config. are usually single caps and maybe/sometimes/rarely a single lower shroud.
OK I get that. I'm still not sure what you meant when you said this in Post#30... and then in Post 32 said it was 'because if pinned spreaders'. Seems to me that pinned spreaders do not effect this, and might even make it easier for the mast to settle into the bend dictated by shroud tension.

Disagree about setting up mast pre-bend / pre-bow on this boat - impossible to do without forward lower shrouds, check stays, etc. The drawing shows that this mast can be bowed only by backstay tension (working against a tight forestay).

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
If you include auxilliary stays on a multi-spreader rig to the above statement; and me with the need for forward lowers (or check stay) on a single spreader rig w/ no aux. cross stays ... agree then? ;-)

Nov 8, 2010
If you include auxilliary stays on a multi-spreader rig to the above statement; and me with the need for forward lowers (or check stay) on a single spreader rig w/ no aux. cross stays ... agree then? ;-)
OK sure!

Just didn't want to confuse the OP, as his boat has only swept single spreaders, so can (and should) set pre-bend this way.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Hey, the OP was confused long before he started sailing. Actually the working through all these posts has been helpful, even for what doesn't specifically apply to my boat, it still helps to picture what the loads are from each adjustment.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you (or anyone) is interested in an EPIC read on the subject, can I suggest LIGHT BRIGADE? Its available in free ebook form here.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/at...rter-tonners-magic-bus-new-light-brigade1.pdf

I have just finished reading Light Brigade. Thanks for the reference. It needs the attention of a good editor but it's a treasure chest of yacht design history - with a good dose of NZ blunderbuss thrown in. Too much design history to absorb in one reading. But I will retract my statement that I don't think the DL24 can hit 14 knots. I did not understand that these boats (The NZ designs) are planning hulls and built to be very light.
Now, where do you get one?

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I read the first part of the link, but have not had time to go back to it. In the first couple of pages, it really impressed on me why certain attitudes still prevail on some sailing forums.

RLs seem to show up on Craigslist, typically 2 or 3 a year if you search country wide. I actually spent over a year and a half trying to buy this specific boat. Previous owner wasn't sure they wanted to sell. I had to drive 15 hrs to pick it up. So if you really want one, you have to work at it. Everything about it fits exactly what I want a boat to be. Easily trailered and launched, moderate sized, and fairly quick. Some think the boat is tender, but the first day the family went with me on it, winds were gusting to 25 mph and we were just fine. I get the impression that most recreational sailors don't go out when the wind exceeds that anyway.