Sabre 36 Survey & General Info?

Feb 4, 2020
Sabre Sabre 36 Southern Chesapeake Bay
Hello Everyone,

I am hopefully soon to be the owner of a 1985 Sabre 36 center board. My primary question is if there is anything in particular I should keep an extra sharp eye out for on the survey? Any known issues with Sabre 36s in general, the center board in particular, the earlier models, etc.? The boat seems to be in very good condition overall and well kept, but obviously the survey will hopefully reveal any issues.

Any other general info, advice, or wisdom is also appreciated.

I am going to join some of the other Sabre forums out there, so you may see this post repeated elsewhere.

THANKS!!!

SwS

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I understand these were well made sailboats. A good surveyor, who is familiar with Sabre's will identify any issues.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
A friend has a Tartan 37 centerboard and I would say the centerboard has been a problem for the last ten years. It is great for upwind sailing when you need to go upwind but he keeps it up more often than not. The raising and lowering pennent has had maintenance issues. There were times when the board has been stuck up, - better than stuck down. It just seems whenever we meet he's got something to say about it. Be berwy berwy careful.

Dave N

Mar 7, 2020
Sabre 38 mk1 Sturgeon Bay
We own an 85 Sabre 38 centerboard. The pendant was replaced 8 years ago. Centerboard is completely trouble free. Boat goes to weather like on rails with board down. The shoal draft it provides is nice. But the deep keel version has a much tighter turning radius under power...tradeoffs. High quality Spartan sea cocks, if neglected, need attention. Main Sail has a great article on the procedure. A bit of water comes down the inside of the mast via internal halyards etc and can damage the cabin sole near the base. There are ways to remedy this. Otherwise awesome high quality boat with no issues.

Apr 22, 2020
Sabre 38 MK1 Port Ludlow, WA
We purchased a Sabre 38 with centerboard three years ago, very nice sailing boat and handles rough weather and seas.
The previous owner of 22 years replaced the centerboard pennant twice, first one after it broke, second time to fix his mistakes (wrong crimp on cable).
I pennant was found broken yesterday. With business shutdowns, we will have to schedule haul out for repairs.