Running rigging size

Jun 13, 2009
Catalina C320 mk 2 Australia
Hi all,
We are replacing our running rigging on our 320 soon. In Australia nearly all cost effective ropes sold are metric sizes. Question is, will the rope stoppers work effectively under pressure using 10mm rope when the 320 manual says 7/16 inch which is 11mm? 12mm seems a bit too big.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The easiest way I've ever found to answer that question is to try it. Buy two feet of line (you can often find a bargain bin of returned cordage) and give it a go. Good luck.

Jun 13, 2009
Catalina C320 mk 2 Australia
Thanks Stu, I have done that with 10mm and I cant pull it through with the brake on by hand and 12mm seems to have to much friction through the stopper. I put the post here as I have noticed there is very little that someone hasn't tried before. Cheers

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hi all,
We are replacing our running rigging on our 320 soon. In Australia nearly all cost effective ropes sold are metric sizes. Question is, will the rope stoppers work effectively under pressure using 10mm rope when the 320 manual says 7/16 inch which is 11mm? 12mm seems a bit too big.
The place to check that is the rating from the clutch manufacturer. Lewmar, Spinlock, Garhauer.... etc.

Catalina equipped their boats with Garhauer hardware for quite some time... But it's easy enough just to look at the piece itself and check online. My garhauer clutches are rated 5/16 through 9/16... My jib halyards are 5/16 polyester over a dyneema core.... never had a slippage problem.