Running hot

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Perkins 4.236, sorry only I knew what I was talking about. But the logic is the same. I also reasoned that without a thermostat, the water wouldn’t sufficiently cool while running through the heat exchanger. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
dlochner said

At a personal level, understanding why and how something works is far more valuable to me than simply knowing a fact, it is far more valuable to understand the benefits of and the mechanisms by which AF works than to simply know that I should put AF in my freshwater cooled diesel.

If you should find my sometimes lengthy responses annoying, irrelevant, or "mansplaining" then feel free to skip over them. No need to read them and complain.
[/QUOTE]

Please see the table in the link below and the tell us if you still believe that

"The 50/50 mix of antifreeze has a greater heat capacity than either water alone or AF alone. This means that it takes more heat energy to raise the temperature of the coolant 1° than it takes to raise water 1°"

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I was reading another thread last night the person just went out and bought a new heat exchanger instead of cleaning it! .. okay
I think the attention need by that HX, and the benefits included in the new one, both topics of which were thoroughly described, greatly exceeded the results of any “cleaning”. And for only $175 additional cost vs refurbish the old one.
That is, if we are referring to the same thread, which only required reading to understand, but also included many pictures.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Please see the table in the link below and the tell us if you still believe that

"The 50/50 mix of antifreeze has a greater heat capacity than either water alone or AF alone. This means that it takes more heat energy to raise the temperature of the coolant 1° than it takes to raise water 1°"
Table 8-3-1
OUCH ! I can only suspect that @dlochner was looking at Table 8-3-1 on his iPhone and not a full size screen, hence his error in reading the Table. 100% ethylene glycol only has about 75% of the thermal capacitance of 100% water.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
OUCH ! I can only suspect that @dlochner was looking at Table 8-3-1 on his iPhone and not a full size screen, hence his error in reading the Table. 100% ethylene glycol only has about 75% of the thermal capacitance of 100% water.
Well, I was again both correct and incorrect. A 50/50 mixture of AF and water is a better heat transfer fluid than straight water, however, it is for the opposite reasons that I suggested. Water has a greater heat capacity than ethylene glycol however as a result it does not give its heat as readily. Mixing the two does 3 things, lowers the freezing point, raises the boiling point, and makes it a better heat transfer medium.

At any rate, running a motor with straight water instead of a coolant mix is not good for the motor and can cause over heating.

As usual Wikipedia does a much better job explaining.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Mixing the two does 3 things, lowers the freezing point, raises the boiling point, and makes it a better heat transfer medium.
No. Read either the Wikipedia article or look at the table again.

The reasons for using anti freeze are:
Anti freeze (really)
High Boiling point (Not so much)
Lubrication of the water pump
Prevention of corrosion

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Well the situation resolved itself. While running the engine to flush some water through, it started blowing steam out the exhaust. Undoubtedly a head gasket issue. Now he’s looking for a close yard to have it fixed.
Like a few cruisers I know, he was babying the engine by running it at lower rpm’s thinking that would keep it moving longer. Glad he’s where he can get it fixed not on some little island.

He definitely suffers from Captain Ron-itis . If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I’d you are depending on the heat transfer characteristics of coolant in water over the performance of your heat exchanger when troubleshooting and then you will be getting to the same result.....cleaning your heat exchanger. Maybe I missed it but the engine wasn’t listed or the actual problem other than “running hot” and this thread got into thermal dynamics?

Jan 4, 2006
A 50/50 mixture of AF and water is a better heat transfer fluid than straight water,
Maybe you might want to think about giving in while your ahead (relatively speaking).

The more ethylene glycol you add to the mix, the less the conductivity becomes.

Conductivity.JPG

Water has a greater heat capacity than ethylene glycol however as a result it does not give its heat as readily.
No one cares how slowly heat is GIVEN up to the heat exchanger. Make the damn clunky thing bigger and better. It's how quickly it's REMOVED from the small passages in the engine block. That's where the delicate design comes in.

No matter how you look at it, the more glycol you add, the poorer the mix becomes as a coolant. Its only saving grace is that it keeps your engine from corroding away or splitting in two in the middle of winter.

Never really thought too much about it when you hear someone adding pure antifreeze to their system and the engine overheats. I imagine them's the reasons why.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
but the engine wasn’t listed or the actual problem other than “running hot” and this thread got into thermal dynamics?
You accusing us of getting "off topic" :angry: ? ? ? ?

Anyone can stay "on topic". You're simply colouring within the lines.

But once you get "off topic', now you're getting into the wild and wooly west of mental gymnastics and writing :dancing: .

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
First thing I'd do is check the engine w/a laser temp gun. Quite often the gauge isn't accurate and it is only an indicator of a problem if the needle changes from one run to another.
I don't know what your cruising RPMs are, but if you have a MaxProp the pitch setting they recommend for our boats is too deep. therefore the engine could be running hot because the prop is lugging the engine down, increasing the operating temp.