Running cabin-top mainsheet to cockpit on C30 MK1?

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
Hi there!

As a frequent single-hander, I am constantly trying to figure out a way to run my mainsheet to the cockpit. I have the Edson wheel replacement and the self-tailing jib winches are easily accessible from it. The mainsheet and main halyard are both run to the starboard cabin top winch which is out of reach from the helm.

Has anyone done this successfully? I have to say that it's not terribly difficult to manually trim the main on this boat, but at times it would be nice to have access to the winch, and to at least secure the mainsheet somewhere aft to be able to switch to trimming the jib sheet.

Thanks!

IMG_3607.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The answer is an autopilot. I have the same arrangement on our boat, and most Catalinas of our size range do, as do many other manufacturers' boats with cabintop mainsail travelers.

I spend almost zero time behind the wheel, and run the boat from the cockpit in front of the wheel. My autopilot control head is located in an easy-to-reach position from in front of the wheel or behind it.

I also find changing the mainsheet positions a vast waste of time. It is far easier to use the traveler to control the mainsail, and is better for varying the angle of attack without changing the draft. See Don Guillette's Sail Trim book and forum here.

Once you're hard on the wind, you don't want to change the mainsheet because it's harder to haul it back in than use the traveler.

Once the traveler is as far down as it will go when you're off the wind, only then let the mainsheet out and keep the vang tight, as you go further downwind.

I,too, had smaller boats with end boom sheeting and depended on the mainsheet. Things are different with cabintop mainsheets.

This has been working for me for 18+ years.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I had Garhauer make me this piece and now can adjust main from anywhere. I actually run the lines different now and that new block is in the center with another block below the top center one.
2016-09-04 19.38.10.jpg

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
The answer is an autopilot.
Thanks for the tips, Stu. I think part of my question is really poking at the techniques others have settled into over the years to make sure I'm not causing more trouble than this is worth. There are 10+ C30's within a couple of docks from me and they are all cabin top. I have an autopilot that just needs to be better calibrated. Maybe I'll put my energy into getting that right instead. Your tip about the traveler is interesting and makes sense. I'll have to play with that.

I had Garhauer make me this piece and now can adjust main from anywhere. I actually run the lines different now and that new block is in the center with another block below the top center one.View attachment 131593
Woah! I did see something similar on my dock walk. That could make things easier given that I remove my dodger whenever I go out here on the SF Bay (maybe things would be different if I had a wife or a kid that wanted to hide in the "sweet spot" while underway.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
given that I remove my dodger whenever I go out here on the SF Bay (maybe things would be different if I had a wife or a kid that wanted to hide in the "sweet spot" while underway.
You betcha. You must be a glutton for punishment if you go out without a dodger when you actually have one! :) Of course, John's solution wouldn't work with a dodger up.

Nov 15, 2015
J J/30 Seward, AK
You betcha. You must be a glutton for punishment if you go out without a dodger when you actually have one! :) Of course, John's solution wouldn't work with a dodger up.
Well, my dodger is a real POS near the end of it's POS life. It's easier to see and to access the mid/foredecks by jumping under the frame. Plus, I've never really seen need for it here in the bay. Maybe it's because I grew up sailing in Alaska, who knows...

Attachments

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Instead of going forward with the main sheet, go aft to a block, install a pad eye on deck with a backing plate and a block eith a cam cleat. I move my traveler to the cockpit because I too single sail and race. I also install a fine tune and there is no winch requirement. I have raced with winds over 30 knots and no problems. Also I can play the traveler while sitting in the coaming. I do not have an autopilot nor wheel brake.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I'm with Stu. Autopilot. I almost never hand-steer. If I have crew, sometimes they hand steer. If they give the boat back to me I mash "Auto" and go fwd of the wheel. Heck, I'll drive down the channel in the harbor on autopilot (it's how I raise my main).

My mainsheet is just like yours, fed to the stbd cabin top. After a complete Garhauer running rigging upgrade, I never need the winch to pull in the sheet. But I also don't usually pull the sheet in when I'm headed upwind - Like Stu says, the traveler is my main sail control until I get to the end of it's travel. Adding/removing twist to the sail is my one exception to this rule, but I can still do it by hand with no winch.

JohnVTX's cool bit of kit still leaves the sheet at the fwd part of the cockpit, but it does indeed give added purchase (getting the winch out of the picture)

Sometimes, if I'm behind the wheel for whatever reason, I'll be playin "ride em cowboy" with the traveler lines. I.e. I just run em from back there. I could do it with the sheet too, but as mentioned before I rarely mess with the sheet.

If you still have the crap stock Catalina curved traveler, you're trying to solve the wrong problem. Get a new traveler and mainsheet blocks and your problem will be gone.

(The kit on Catalina Direct is the same thing as you can get direct from Garhauer)