rudder removal

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
As long as they are well covered, just a coat or two will be

plenty Southport. The more you get on the easier spring will be. I cover my spar with a simple syste. 2x4's running down each side of the spar on horses(3) The 2x's are on edge and I run a screw into each horse. I then lay a third row of 2xs on top of the spar. Picture the three rows forming a simple triangle encasing the spar(no spreaders of course)

Then I simply unroll #15 felt paper down the top of the triangle. It rolls down over the lower 2x's on the horses. I run a piece of strapping along each side and run screws through to the 2x's on the horses.

It's simple, fast and keeps all snow rain and ice off and it keeps the felt(tar) paper off the spars, it will stick if it touches them. Throw a piece of padding on any sharp spots like winches, spreader brackets etc. Also, staple alittle twine from the lower rows of 2x's over the top to hold it all together. No need for anything on top, no holes. I've been using the same 2x's for several years now, new felt every year.

I was only able to get about 7 coats on when I wooded the spar 2 seasons ago. I got a few more on this spring. Our short season in Maine was no problem with just the seven coats for the first season. I'll have 12 coats by the third season :>)

Do you live on Southport Island? Where do you moor your boat? Good luck with you spars. Tom

Apr 7, 2006
Thanks Tom- that gives us more courage! We have the track totally off and plan to re bed and put it back on after 4 coats. So far we have 80+ zip lock bags w/ labelled parts in them ( scary thought- even if they're labeled w/ gibberish we won;t understand in the spring!).

As for where we live we are lucky. Since 1974 we've lived in Southport and our 2 boys have gone thru the 3 or 4 room (depending on the year) school house. Cindy's dad has a mooring in Cosy Harbor on the west side of Southport Is. We live across the street - since 1974- and can sit on our porch and look at MUSKRAT. The great thing is we have no waterfront and the taxes here are about $650.00!.

Today we did the 60 grit- no huge surprises but alot of dark wood we are trying to bleach out w/ oxalic acid ( the lawn is now brown :>) but the worst is up high for the 'pokes to see and we consider them beauty blemishes any way.

MUSKRAT prob went the fastest it ever has up to a shop for an awl grip job. We were all set to try it but our friend did try and sanded it all off and had Gorge do it. Gorge Leon has worked w/ allgrip for 30 years & his price is $160/linear foot if there is no MAJOR fiberglass repair. He did the Hodgdon Yacht boats etc and is great. We have a ton of blisters etc and thought we should go for it.

W/ any luck we'll prep the main mast tomorrow and start varnish on Thu.
Going w/ Cindy's tried & true method of filling w/ resourcinol glue, saw dust, and then sanding again as it sets up to blend it all in.