Rudder Reference Installation Hunter Vision 36

Apr 28, 2017
Hunter Vision 36 College Station, TX
After searching for several days, I was unable to find any suggestions for installing a rudder reference transducer on my Hunter Vision 36. The boat has a large circular steering quadrant and no place below decks to install a rudder reference transducer so I had to improvise.
Rudder Reference installation 01.jpg
Rudder Reference Installation 02.jpg
Rudder Reference Installation 03.jpg
Rudder Reference Installation 04.jpg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
After searching for several days, I was unable to find any suggestions for installing a rudder reference transducer on my Hunter Vision 36. The boat has a large circular steering quadrant and no place below decks to install a rudder reference transducer so I had to improvise.
Great! Easy access & perfect orientation of reference arm & rod to rudder.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Nice installation. Does the rudder reference show on a monitor at the helm. Nice to have, if so. I've been getting by with marking the king spoke on the helm wheel.

Apr 28, 2017
Nice installation. Does the rudder reference show on a monitor at the helm. Nice to have, if so. I've been getting by with marking the king spoke on the helm wheel.
It appears on the small screen EV100 autopilot as a red bar moving from center to left at the top of the little screen when turning to port and then when turning past center to starboard the line becomes green It lengthens on each side when the rudder is turned over harder and stops at edge when the rudder has reached it's limit. I don't have a photo of that … sorry.

Apr 28, 2017
I actually decided to install it in the hope that it would alleviate some of the wide swinging when the autopilot is following a route. It seems to have helped significantly.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jim
You may be able to tighten the steering even further buy adjusting the software.

Autopilot response levels The Evolution autopilot system features a number of different response levels to help you quickly configure the system for optimum performance for the current conditions.
The available response levels are:
  • •Leisure—suitable for long passages where tight heading control is not critical.
  • •Cruising—good course -keeping without over working the pilot.
  • •Performance—emphasis on tight heading control.
You can change the response level at anytime by selecting
MENU> Response Level.
Then select Save to keep the changes.

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
View attachment 202884View attachment 202885View attachment 202886View attachment 202887
View attachment 202888
I did this same job on our Catalina 30 and the same situation presented itself with no place below deck and very little space next to the quadrant. It was indeed a difficult install but it was well worth the effort. Before I installed this the EV100 Raymarine autopilot would constantly drive the wheel back and forth trying to say on course and sometimes suddenly make sharp turns off course. This mostly occurred in confused seas. With this installed there is much less hunting which means less load on the house batteries and more importantly (for me anyway) less of the annoying noise that the pilot makes while adjusting the course.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina 30 5611 Stratford, Ct
We have an AXIOM 9 multi-function display and there is a screen that shows wind information and at the bottom of that screen, it shows the rudder position. It also shows up at the bottom of the autopilot instrument.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
View attachment 202884View attachment 202885View attachment 202886View attachment 202887
View attachment 202888
Please allow me to constructively comment on this.
You did a good job of mounting , and very similar to what I did on my 40.5 years ago.
But, your off a bit on your install, and this is going to affect the steering accuracy.
What you need to do is imagine a line going from the centre of the rudder to the point of attachment of the RR to the quadrant.
Now, thus line needs to be parallel, (think of a rhombus), to the arm of the RRr.
If it’s not, the pilot won’t track linearly, and it could invoke errors at end of travel.
So, you should look at this, and figure out his to achieve it.
Sometimes it’s by lengthening or shortening the threaded rod, and positioning the RR accordingly.
So, this is critical, and I suggest you get it as close to optimal at the beginning.

Aug 21, 2019
Hunter Vision 32 Shilshole Bay Marina
Nice installation! This is exactly what I have on my Vision 32. One question: did you bed the mounting hardware (butyl tape, etc)? I only ask because I recently discovered a PO did NOT do this on my boat, and now when it rains hard enough, water follows those screws down into the stern locker behind the aft bulkhead. It took me awhile to figure out why the top of my diesel tank was getting wet! While you're at it, you might want to check the bedding / mounting of the screws used to secure the steering linkage cover to the deck - I am going to have to fill those holes with epoxy for the same reason I just mentioned, as soon as we have some consistently dry and sunny days around here.