Rudder kicks up while sailing (Catalina 250)

Jun 8, 2022
Catalina 250 Port Susan
EDIT: apologies, I just installed the rudder locking handle incorrectly... feel free to disregard the rest of the post/thread!
===

Hi,
The original rudder on my Catalina 250 kicks up while sailing, in the worst case causing extreme weather helm and loss of control.

I've read many opinions that stock rudders on C250s weren't great and people recommend replacements (e.g. from Rudder Craft), but with all the expenses so far I hope I can make some DIY fix, at least for a season or two...

I saw this thread in the archives, which touches on the subject a little bit...
kick up rudder operation | Sailboat Owners Forums
(esp. the last post)
but I'd be curious how common the problem is and what other things folks have tried to fix the problem?

I also saw Catalina Direct selling this:
Kick-Up Rudder Detent Rivet (catalinadirect.com)
...but I believe my rudder already has it (the boat is from 1996). Maybe I can install a second one?

Here are photos of my rudder, in case they can be helpful... I just replaced the locking disks and handle (from Catalina Direct), because I lost one of the original disks... will contact CD on Monday to make sure I have installed everything properly, but I honestly think the problem is in the rudder's overall design...

IMG-3868.JPG
IMG-3870.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022
Catalina 250 Port Susan
Yes, apologies - I just came here to say "nevermind, please disregard" :) I had installed the handle in the wrong direction before, preventing it from being tightened down correctly. It was "sort of" tightened down, laying on the edge of the disk. I thought this is the correct way, because the rudder had some old marks suggesting that at least one of the previous owners had to do it this way too ;) Well, when installed correctly, the rudder seems to hold down very nicely! Wil try it while sailing soon, but I don't think it will move anymore!

Thank you and sorry for the distraction! :)