Status
Not open for further replies.
D

david

What is the proper way and easiest way to raise and lower a kick up rudder

M

Michael

I'm sure there's a better way

Hopefully others will write in with more elegant solutions, but all I do is use the line to lift the rudder up and I simply push it down by hand (no line for that direction on mine). Of course you need to loosen the compression joint to move the kick-up portion.

D

David H

I don't think

That there is a more elegant solution on the 22. I used to lean out under the stearn rail, loosen the nut and pull up or push down depending...never came up with a better way LOL. No I have a 27' so I don't have to mess with it.

B

Bob B.

Kick up rudder failure!!

The kick up rudder tends to "kick up" slightly while sailing. This alters the steering drastically. There is a lot of information on this problem in the archieves. Some members have made modifications to avoid the accidental pivoting of the rudder. Like drilling holes & installing plastic or nylon shear pins & other methods of securing the rudder in the "down" position. On my boat, the tensioning device was a brass flat bar tightening handle with a 3/8" female thread. This formed a nut to work with a 3/8" bolt through the rudder & aluminum head piece. Over tightening this brass handle eventually led to stripping the thread while sailing & I could have lost the rudder! I assume this was the original Catalina design. I modified this by welding a handle to a stainless bolt head & use a 3/8" nut on the other end. The stainless is stronger than the brass & one could even double nut the bolt or use a long nut for more thread engagement. Never-seize or grease should be used on the thread because SS threads tend to gall. I also installed a 1/4" X 6" diameter soft rubber washer between the rudder & aluminum head piece to provide more friction. The rudder now doesn not move up accidently & the compression bolt does not need so much tension. Regards from Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.