Rudder for a 1988 Macgregor 26D

Jun 30, 2020
Macgregor 26D Boston
Hello,
Looking to see if anyone knows where I can find a good used rudder, mount and tiller for a Magregor 26D? Someone liberated mine, along with the motor, and right now I am only working part time so money is tight.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you, stay well,
Bruce

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Hello,
Looking to see if anyone knows where I can find a good used rudder, mount and tiller for a Magregor 26D? Someone liberated mine, along with the motor, and right now I am only working part time so money is tight.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you, stay well,
Bruce
Man that sucks. I'd consider making one from wood and fiberglass. If you sail in deep water only it could be a 1 piece unit skipping the hinge. For a cheap tiller get a post hole digger handle.

Jun 30, 2020
Macgregor 26D Boston
Man that sucks. I'd consider making one from wood and fiberglass. If you sail in deep water only it could be a 1 piece unit skipping the hinge. For a cheap tiller get a post hole digger handle.
I didn't think or that. I am very handy with wood, great idea.
Thank you.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I made a rudder for a Mac 22. Can't find the pics right now but I started with two pieces of 2X12 boards. Glued them together to make a 4 x 12 piece and then using an electric plannar I gave it a NACA foil shape. It took less than an afternoon.

I also made a tiller handle... that I could find pics of. I started with some oak strips I purchased at Lowes...

tiller3.jpg

Then I made a jig by screwing blocks to the floor of my shed and glued the pieces together...

tiller4.jpg
tiller2.jpg

Put it in the vice and shaped it with a planar and some sand paper...
tiller5.jpg

Several coats of varnish and...
Tiller1.jpg

I had a new tiller handle...
Rudder_Repair7.jpg
Rudder_Repair5.jpg

Good luck building one. I think you can find some aluminum plate material at Lowes and the rest is just time and patience.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I replaced mine with the Idasailor HDPE version and gave the old rudder to the buyer. Maybe other Mac owners still have theirs.

Jun 30, 2020
Macgregor 26D Boston
I made a rudder for a Mac 22. Can't find the pics right now but I started with two pieces of 2X12 boards. Glued them together to make a 4 x 12 piece and then using an electric plannar I gave it a NACA foil shape. It took less than an afternoon.

I also made a tiller handle... that I could find pics of. I started with some oak strips I purchased at Lowes...

View attachment 181723

Then I made a jig by screwing blocks to the floor of my shed and glued the pieces together...

View attachment 181724View attachment 181725

Put it in the vice and shaped it with a planar and some sand paper...
View attachment 181726

Several coats of varnish and...
View attachment 181727

I had a new tiller handle...
View attachment 181728View attachment 181729

Good luck building one. I think you can find some aluminum plate material at Lowes and the rest is just time and patience.
Thanks, now I just need to know the length, or I can feel my way around it.

Jun 30, 2020
Macgregor 26D Boston
I replaced mine with the Idasailor HDPE version and gave the old rudder to the buyer. Maybe other Mac owners still have theirs.
I am not familiar with that one. I just googled it and found a few things. Not sure yet will have to look into it further. Do you happen to know how far the rudder hangs below the boat in the down position?
Thanks

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I am not familiar with that one. I just googled it and found a few things. Not sure yet will have to look into it further. Do you happen to know how far the rudder hangs below the boat in the down position?
Thanks
They are RudderCraft now. I can't say it was deeper than the original, just a more efficient foil shape. Pricey though.

Jan 19, 2010
I once owned a Balboa 26 with a ruder craft rudder. It was noticeably awesome. The foil they create has a lot of lift so the rudder turns the boat easily without you having to drag the rudder through the water like a break. A flat board will turn you boat but if you can get the foil right, it makes a difference. The trick is getting it symmetric on both sides.

Jan 19, 2010
regarding depth.

If you do go with a true foil shaped rudder then aspect ratio becomes a factor. A longer thin rudder can produce as much lift as a short fat one. But the thin one with less surface area will produce less drag and you will move faster through the water. On the other hand, having a longer than needed rudder will mean you kiss the bottom more often. Every decision is a trade off.

Jun 30, 2020
Macgregor 26D Boston
regarding depth.

If you do go with a true foil shaped rudder then aspect ratio becomes a factor. A longer thin rudder can produce as much lift as a short fat one. But the thin one with less surface area will produce less drag and you will move faster through the water. On the other hand, having a longer than needed rudder will mean you kiss the bottom more often. Every decision is a trade off.
Understood, I will have to get the dimensions from someone who has a standard rudder. I did look up Rudder Craft, they are a bit pricey if I have to go that route I would still need the mounting hardware. Next problem to be figured out.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
See if Blue Water Yachts can help you out. Someone on here may still offer you their old rudder.

AndyVS

Sep 4, 2015
Corsair 31 UC 179 Port Sanilac
Hi Bruce,
I have a rudder & post from my 26S. I upgraded to the Ruddercraft and highly recommend it but if money is tight this will get you through. The tiller I have was homemade by the PO but is usable. Send me a PM if interested.

Andy

Jan 19, 2010
You might also consider posting this request in the "macgregorowners.com" sub-forum.

I would be surprised if the rudder hardware for the V21, V22 and V25 were different. There are probably many older macs being parted out.

Jun 30, 2020
Macgregor 26D Boston
You might also consider posting this request in the "macgregorowners.com" sub-forum.

I would be surprised if the rudder hardware for the V21, V22 and V25 were different. There are probably many older macs being parted out.
I did look at a V25 over the weekend, I would have had to purchase the whole boat. :) But the rudder itself I think would have fit. The gudgeons and pintles are reversed. May be able to make it work if I had too.