Rudder Direct Drive Setup

Aug 17, 2022
Hunter 37 Cherubini Seward
I reviewed "Tom Hadoulias" install from 2008 and was wondering if anyone had any updated experience with installing this type of autopilot in an '84 H37C. I'm installing a Garmin B Compact Drive Unit. Does anyone have any thoughts about the stability of the rudder post in these later units? I believe Tom's was an '81 model. I did a cursory search but didn't locate any info.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I did quite a bit of work on the rudder and steering after I purchased my 1983 H37C. I replaced the rudder (it had some strange spider cracks) and the top plywood 'shelf' that holds the upper rudder bearing (it had got wet from a deck leak and was delaminating). The upper bearing is Delrin or UHMW or something and showed no wear or slop when fitted to the new rudder post so I used it again. A few years later, I noticed a bit of side-to-side play in the rudder on haul out. I dropped the rudder and rebuilt the moulded-in bearing by using West epoxy mixed with graphite powder, according to their repair manual (its really just the fiberglass tube glassed into the hull - that's they way they were built back then). Tip: wax the rudder post really well! After that I installed a Cape Horn servo-pendulum wind vane connected directly to the quadrant via ropes and pulleys. After the rebuild, I never had any play in the system. I think Tom's split bearing carried on the plate he bolted to the angle iron is probably overkill. My $0.02 anyway.

Aug 17, 2022
Hunter 37 Cherubini Seward
Thanks Jim, that's some great feedback. I am also planning on a Cape Horn wind vane. Were you happy with the performance. Seems like one of the cleanest installs available. I really enjoy this opportunity to hear about other's experiences.

Thanks,
Kemp

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Kemp, I was completely happy with my Cape Horn. One of the best pieces of gear I purchased for that boat. Somewhere here in the archives is a thread I did on mine (I'll try and find it). I also installed an Autohelm ST2000 tiller pilot in the lazarette, connected to the Cape Horn, which made a fantastic, low energy, 'autopilot' when under power. It was a VERY clean install, exiting the transom just to starboard of the stern ladder and the vane mast extended to just above the bimini. I sailed thousands of miles without touching the wheel (but there is definitely a learning curve to using servo-pendulum vanes effectively).

Found it: Cape Horn