Wind Vane Self Steering on a Hunter 37 Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow H37 Cutter owner (Rainer of Fred V) for a beer and some good boat talk. He was very interested in my wind vane self steering and I agreed to send him some pictures. Since I don’t know of any other H37Cs fitted with this, I thought I would do a little show n’ tell...

I installed a Cape Horn wind vane on Calypso about 8 years ago. I think it may be the best addition I have made to the boat. Why wind vane self steering instead of an Autohelm or other type of auto pilot? For one thing, it puts zero drain on the battery. When on a blue water passage in my boat (something that’s on my bucket list) the benefits are significant. Also, a wind vane does a better job of steering the boat under sail. Finally, such an installation can be less expensive. So, referring to the photos below, I will attempt to show how my wind vane self steering works for me.

My Cape Horn is what is called a servo- pendulum wind vane. This just means that a small force (the wind direction) is coupled to a large force (the motion of the boat through the water) to generate control of Calypso’s rudder.

Photo 1 shows the wind vane itself. It just flops from side to side (yellow arrows) depending on which side the wind hits. When it is pointing straight into the wind, it stands up straight. The whole wind vane is mounted on a turret that turns, allowing me to adjust the wind angle I want Calypso to sail to, i.e close hauled, beam reach, run etc.

The action of the wind vane is linked to the servo pendulum oar (Photo 2). It is a common misconception that this oar somehow ‘steers’ the boat as an auxilary rudder. Rather, the wind vane rotates the oar slightly on its axis (yellow arrow). This causes a change in the ‘attack angle’ of the oar in the water moving past the oar (as the boat is underway) causing the oar to swing to port or starboard, as indicated by the red arrows.

The port/starboard motion of the oar is a very large force that is transmitted via the tube that is mounted through the transom to a small quadrant located in the lazarette (Photo 3). The quadrant is attached to Calypso’s main steering system by a series of blocks and lines (Photo 4). I have tried to show the transmission of a wind vane steering force to the main steering system, using red arrows, in Photo 5. The forces go through three turning blocks, the last of which is attached to the Edson Radial Drive disk on Calypso’s rudder shaft. After this last block, the line’s bitter end is routed to a fixed point (designated by the broken red line I drew). The fixed point is, in fact a cleat at the back of the cockpit (Photo 6). The cleat acts as a sort of clutch; I can engage or disengage the wind vane self steering at will. Once engaged, the wind vane takes control and Calypso’s wheel turns back and forth as though under the hand of a ghostly helmsman.

The Cape Horn provides an added bonus: I can use a small and inexpensive ‘tiller pilot’, such as would be used on a small keel boat, to take the place of the wind vane input to the servo pendulum oar. With this setup I can use the Cape Horn to steer to a compass course (or for that matter, a GPS waypoint) while motoring (Photo7 ), giving me all the benefits of an Autohelm too. The tiller pilot doesn’t have to work hard at all, since the servo pendulum oar is providing all the force for steering (Photo 8) and the small amount of electricity used is insignificant, since the engine is running anyway. Calypso follows the set course (Photo 9) and I am free to attend to other tasks, such a reading a good sailing magazine (while always maintaining a proper lookout, of course!)

Attachments

Last edited:
May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Well explained, Jim. Thanks. And another item to add to the history spreadsheet - you appear to have a teak covered hatch over the rudder post. My 81 just has an inspection port.

Jan 7, 2012
Hunter 37C Lucaya, Grand Bahama
Jim who did the installation of the unit and could you also speak to the cost. Nice setup by the way.

FredV

Oct 16, 2011
Hunter 37-cutter Philadelphia, PA
Correction: I was very interested in the wind vane AND everything else Jim had to say. It was an incredibly informative afternoon!

Complaint: Our meeting was entirely too short!

Suggestion: Get Jim to tell you about when Calypso slipped her mooring after a storm - a truly great story!

Jun 8, 2004
Jim who did the installation of the unit and could you also speak to the cost. Nice setup by the way.
I installed the Cape Horn myself after talking to Yves Gelinas, the designer. It took a weekend to install and the trickiest part was cutting the 2 1/2" hole in the transom with a hole saw (measure 10 times, cut once!) The entire vane is easily removed for winter storage or maintenance with the exception of the tube through the transom, which is permanently glassed in place. I think the cost for the vane (in 2003) was $3500 plus another $200 or so for rigging and fiberglass supplies. I later spent ~$400 for the tillerpilot that I use with the vane when under power. I love using this thing - it makes solo sailing a pleasure. There is a bit of a leaning curve around its actual use - one needs to understand how the unit functions to get the best out of it. Initially it is not like an autohelm - just flipping a switch and punching in a course. But once mastered, it is a simple device to use and fine tune. And its simplicty means reliability. The builder guarantees it for "28,000 miles or one circumnavigation"!

Jun 8, 2004
Suggestion: Get Jim to tell you about when Calypso slipped her mooring after a storm - a truly great story!
Aw Rainer, you are asking me to go to the confessional, right here on the forum? Anytime one's boat ends up on the beach, there are certain feeling of guilt, of inadequacy...maybe a tale to tell later.:doh:

Jan 7, 2012
Hunter 37C Lucaya, Grand Bahama
It looks like a clean install. I'll hit you up on some info if I ever get to that stage.My delima is self steering or autopilot. I have a wheel pilot and it's done fine by us but, I would like a more permanent install one way or another.

Jun 8, 2004
Look Ma, no hands!

Just a follow up post on the subject of windvanes. A couple of pictures taken yesterday of Calypso reaching along, steered by the windvane while I gawk from the side deck. I need to get some shots of her running; the vane will steer her dead downwind with the sails wing n' wing without ever gybing (better than I do!)

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
capehorn detail

Hi Jim, i have been looking at the cape horn for Trinity.
I see your wind vane extends above your bimini, is your bimini and
cockpit enclosure always up?
Did you leave your stern ladder in place, can't see inphoto. Is that
why you have an offset install ?
Did you do your install in water or on the hard.
I am just trying to figure out my approch to this install and what modifications to make. Thanks for any help.
Thanks,
Joe
s/v trinty

Jun 8, 2004
Answers

Joe,
My answers to your questions:

I see your wind vane extends above your bimini, is your bimini and
cockpit enclosure always up?
My dodger is almost always up; here in NS we tend to use the bimini more to protect us from rain than sun :)...I wanted to have the option to use the windvane either way, so it was ordered with a tall tower.
Did you leave your stern ladder in place, can't see in photo. Is that
why you have an offset install ?
Yes, I wanted to keep the stern ladder in its original location so that was the reason for the offset installation. We use the ladder all the time since we are on a mooring; the windvane is a great handhold when boarding!
Did you do your install in water or on the hard.
I installed the windvane while the boat was in the water, alongside a float. I am fairly handy, but I think it is well within the capabilities of anyone with handtool and fiberglass skills.

If you have more questions, PM or email me. I would be happy to help.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter H37C, H23 Annapolis MD
Jim Great post,
I too added a windvane to my H37C this year. I went with the Hydrovane to give me a backup rudder. It was very easy to install Just 4 x 3/8 inch holes to drill. The backing plates took a while to sand to the transom curve, but not hard. Here is a picture of it installed.
http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/album.php?albumid=2623&pictureid=16708

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
Nice installation Mark! I like that both our vanes permit off-centre installation and that we continue to use our stern ladders. I have had my Cape Horn for 8 years and am still amazed by it. The Hydrovanes also have a great reputation. I see 25-yr old used ones on eBay, going for what I spent on my Cape Horn as a new purchase! Cadillac I guess :D

Status
Not open for further replies.