Rub Rail Adventure

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
Hey Jay. Nice work on the deck/hull joint! I saw this thread pop up and wondered about an update. Is the stern staying dry? I've got some water marks in the stern by the holding and fuel tanks, and some damaged/rotted bulkheads in my aft cabin but in the couple years that I've owned my 306, things have been dry as far as I can tell. I'm thinking the previous owners may have had her repaired already, but I can't say for sure. Just curious about yours since I may eventually have my own "rub rail adventure" at some point.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Hey JD: thanks. Just to note: this thread is 3 years old, as you're probably aware. It's not clear to me, to be honest. I did the aft section of the rubrail (which goes from where the arch attaches and wraps to the other side) in spring 2020, and then the rest of it (from the arch to the bow) in spring 2022. I think it's much better, but not 100%. The whole "water along the aft bulkhead in the aft cabin" thing has always been really hit-or-miss. It seems like it will be totally dry for 4 rains and then leak on the 5th. Back in 2020 (I think?), I made a new center panel: the part that separates the aft cabin from the holding and fuel tanks. Then last summer, I pulled out the 2 triangular pieces of bulkhead on either side of the center, which were by that point, really not doing well. I have the teak plywood, but haven't cut and replaced it yet. When I do, I'm sealing the heck out of it with epoxy on the lower edge, just in case it leaks. Frankly, it's an ongoing battle. I think (?) it's been dry back there 90% of the time after a rain, but I'm just mystified by the randomness of when water happens to get in. Either it's the hull-deck joint (which you'd think would be fixed by now), or maybe it's from where all the cables from the pedestal enter into the cabin: the big, silicone glopped up entry point under the panel that you stand on when you're at the helm.

It's a process.

If you figure anything out, let me know. I'll do the same.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@jdrutten

look at the entire thread particularly @kappykaplan earlier response about pressuring the cabin and finding air bubbling out from the deck by brushing soapy water ovèr everything outside. As a former Hunter dealer now retired I introduced that method. I am glad people like kappykaplan is helping by telling that trick to others. If you have any questions feel free to contact me thru private message here. Although it has been years since being on a 306, look at the attachment of the arch too

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
Hey Jay. Nice work on the deck/hull joint! I saw this thread pop up and wondered about an update. Is the stern staying dry? I've got some water marks in the stern by the holding and fuel tanks, and some damaged/rotted bulkheads in my aft cabin but in the couple years that I've owned my 306, things have been dry as far as I can tell. I'm thinking the previous owners may have had her repaired already, but I can't say for sure. Just curious about yours since I may eventually have my own "rub rail adventure" at some point.
JD, easiest way is to take the panels out at the back of the cabin so you have clear access to the back of the tanks. While underway, motor is fine, the stern will be submerged, you will see water coming in if you have leaks. The water ended up in our bathroom floor also, guess there is a passage to it somehow.

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
Hi All, I figured I'd keep the thread going!

Attached are two photos from the stern which show the leaks. It also shows some form of work done on the Port and Starboard side where they covered the gap between hull and deck. Interestingly enough two different materials were applied. The question is: Is this normal or do we suspect that this was repaired before? The starboard side is a very hard material and the Port side is a more soft one.

Following info from threads my plan is to clean the gap thoroughly (with acetone), fill it with 4200 then seal the gap. Plan is to remove the material currently applied on both sides the best we can.

I've found different suggestions for materials to seal the gap. Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

Once complete we'll pressure test using the blower to find possible other leaks.

Attachments

Mar 27, 2021
Hunter 306 Lake Pepin
JD, easiest way is to take the panels out at the back of the cabin so you have clear access to the back of the tanks. While underway, motor is fine, the stern will be submerged, you will see water coming in if you have leaks. The water ended up in our bathroom floor also, guess there is a passage to it somehow.
I keep meaning to pull that aft panel down before getting underway in order to get a better look while motoring, but somehow as soon as I get out of the marina, the sails go up, the motor goes off, and before I know it, I'm sailing and can't remember there ever being any other problems. ;)

Hi All, I figured I'd keep the thread going!

Attached are two photos from the stern which show the leaks. It also shows some form of work done on the Port and Starboard side where they covered the gap between hull and deck. Interestingly enough two different materials were applied. The question is: Is this normal or do we suspect that this was repaired before? The starboard side is a very hard material and the Port side is a more soft one.

Following info from threads my plan is to clean the gap thoroughly (with acetone), fill it with 4200 then seal the gap. Plan is to remove the material currently applied on both sides the best we can.

I've found different suggestions for materials to seal the gap. Would appreciate any thoughts on this matter.

Once complete we'll pressure test using the blower to find possible other leaks.
Here's an interesting article: The Hull-to-Deck Joint - Good Old Boat It looks like this is one of the few places where 5200 is entirely appropriate. I'm not sure what was applied originally, but there seems to have been a pattern of poor workmanship in sealing that joint, particularly at the transom where it regularly goes under water. I guess it might depend on how well the joint can be cleaned out and opened up in order to accept new sealant. If (when?) I ever have to perform this surgery, I might consider applying a couple layers of fiberglass over the joint and then following that up with 4200 to seal the screws that attach the rub rail as Jay described earlier in the thread. Then again, I have zero (0, zilch, nada) experience with this so who knows?

• Ha
Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
I keep meaning to pull that aft panel down before getting underway in order to get a better look while motoring, but somehow as soon as I get out of the marina, the sails go up, the motor goes off, and before I know it, I'm sailing and can't remember there ever being any other problems. ;)

Here's an interesting article: The Hull-to-Deck Joint - Good Old Boat It looks like this is one of the few places where 5200 is entirely appropriate. I'm not sure what was applied originally, but there seems to have been a pattern of poor workmanship in sealing that joint, particularly at the transom where it regularly goes under water. I guess it might depend on how well the joint can be cleaned out and opened up in order to accept new sealant. If (when?) I ever have to perform this surgery, I might consider applying a couple layers of fiberglass over the joint and then following that up with 4200 to seal the screws that attach the rub rail as Jay described earlier in the thread. Then again, I have zero (0, zilch, nada) experience with this so who knows?
The yard recommends only applying 5200 and not covering the edge with glass since it can crack when hit. I'm still looking for an alternative to put over the edge after applying 5200.

Oct 14, 2017
HUnter 306 Aruba
Seal the companionway with a sheet of plastic. Make a hole in the plastic to insert a leaf blower. With the leaf blower running, have a friend apply a soapy water mixture to various locations topside. If you see bubbles around stanchion bases, etc., you've found a leak.
Hi all. I tried this for the aft cabin but was not successfull, could not get much pressure.