Roller Furling and a Halyard Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
One of my first thoughts about why the tang was there was that since it goes past the darth, it would take the wear nicely. However, when two parts meet, one of them is going to wear, and when it's plastic against metal, the plastic darth is gonna wear. Plastic against rope, yeah the rope might wear, but it's easier to replace rope than the darth. That's also why it is suggested to swap halyards end-for-end every couple years. AND, at least the halyard can be lowered to be inspected. Not so with the darth. As BadO is finding out, now someone has to go up.

While I'm on the soapbox.... BadO's pic is a bit dark to tell for sure, but it looks like the rope halyard is knoted around that shackle. That looks like a small shackle for that big of a boat. The contact/wear surface between the shackle and ring is very small- a high-wear situation.... The ring in the tang, I would have to think it is not a solid SS ring, so I assume it's a split ring (cotter ring?). Again, not very strong. And again, the ring-to-tang contact is worse than the shackle because the holes in the tang were probably square edges mating to the ring. Very little contact surface.... I cannot tell from the pic how the tang is secured to the drum. To assume the drum is aluminum, I would have to believe that the SS tang inside the drum is probably wearing into the drum since the upper forestay is an area subject to high-vibration/pulsating. I would have thought securing the tang to the outside of the drum would be better, but maybe there's a reason why it's this way?... I don't know if it's possible on this setup, but if it were my furler, I would put a D-shackle on the drum, and secure the rope to the D.

BadO, did you consider securing a hook to the main halyard to jockey it around front to snag the jib halyard with? A coathanger straightened should do. It looks like you only have to pull the jib halyard out far enough to clear the darth offset. At the very least, if you snag the rope part of the halyard, you can pull it down (if it's long enough) so maybe you can "whip" it free. It might take some trial and error, plus someone with binocs to spot you, but I think this would work.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have thought about trying to snag the halyard but in the end I feel that it is probably the best thing to send someone up and go ahead and do it right from the start. Darth will have to be reset, if possible, replaced at the worst.

I want to get to this soon but this 10"+ of snow isn't helping the matter much!

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
As a part of the fix you may want to consider changing out that halyard for one with an eye splice on the end. Having that knot there has proven to be an accident waiting to happen...but hindsight is always 20/20!

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
True. We shall see. The advantage of having a halyard this way is that you can reverse the halyard down the road so that you get a little extra time out of it and it wears evenly.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a profurl, and it never had a tang as a halyard attachment (2004 vintage). It really doesn't make senes to even have that extra piece of metal . There wouldn't be much of a wear point at the head. aeven if there was wear over time that could be confirmed by frequent inspection, its pretty easy to pull down the sail and re splice the shackle beyond the wear point. I would guess that there would be more wear at the sheave anyway.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Maybe wrong phrase

I said tang, perhaps it's not. It is a flat piece of metal bar stock. The lower end connects to the top swivel, and it goes past the slim side of darth and attaches to the halyard with the O ring.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Splicing nut?

True. We shall see. The advantage of having a halyard this way is that you can reverse the halyard down the road so that you get a little extra time out of it and it wears evenly.
Perhaps a splicing nut would work for this application (they have photos on their site of one on a halyard) if you want to reverse the halyard. However it has a pretty good shoulder that might catch the same way.

http://www.splicingnut.com/?page=product_info

I feel for you. Life got in the way and it was about to snow when I finally took my jib off the furler. It was snowing hard by the time I finished putting the winter cover on.

Status
Not open for further replies.