Roller Furl Problem

Apr 8, 2019
Catalina C-22 Bradenton, FL
I have an '88 C-22 with a Harken roller furl system. The Jib on it is a 135.
Recently I did some repairs and line replacements on my vessel. One of the repairs was to replace the top shackle of my forestay (it had a crack). After stepping the mast back in place and re-tuning the standing rigging, I also replaced all of my running rigging lines, including the furler line. I thought I replaced it running the same direction around the inside of the drum as it was before and the sail remained wrapped the same direction as well. But when I went to deploy the sail, it unrolled fine, but the line would not roll the drum more than two turns to haul the jib back in. I spent an hour messing with wrap directions and came to the conclusion that the drum simply will not turn more than two turns clock-wise. While it turns freely counter clock-wise.
I have checked all the other connections and they are exactly as they were before I dropped the mast. The halyard is the right tension, there is no noticeable sag in the forestay from the weight of the jib, the sail is fed right in the slot, the bottom is connected the same.
So my logical deduction is that there must be something wrong with the drum.
Is there something blatantly obvious I am missing? Or is there a mechanical problem inside the roller drum itself?

syates

Jan 25, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Deer Isle, Maine
I have a Schaeffer snapfurl. It was doing the exact same thing. It turns out that the halyard was wrapping around the forestay at the top of the mast. I could usually get 2 or 3 turns before it stopped. I just looked at a photo of the Harken, and it looks like a similar setup. The fix was to lower a small clip that held the halyard next to the mast so that it would connect to the furler at an angle that did not allow it to wrap around the forestay. It now works flawlessly. Could yours be a similar problem? If so, it is an easy fix. Schaeffer has diagrams on their website addressing the problem. Maybe Harken does too. I attached a photo that shows the halyard and the clip. I hope that it all works out.

Attachments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I don't have a furler, but my neighbor c22 does (Schaeffer IIRC), known/common issue referred to as "halyard wrap"....he experienced same condition recently...

Mar 2, 2018
Catalina Wing Keel San Diego
Does the furler spin free in both directions without the furling line in it?

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
harken has an instruction manual on the web. the attachment from your mast to the top swivel is critical to prevent halyard wrap. ease of furl with a non-wrapping halyard is affected by the # and direction of wraps on the drum. follow the manual like it's a new install.