Rodkicker Repair

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
There are way more experienced racers on this forum that should be answering this. But, one novice Hunter racer to another, if it’s within 15 degrees of DDW, whisker pole wing on wing. And outside 60 degree close reach to almost DDW, rig outboard jib sheets and a twing. Outboard jib sheets on reaches are worth half a knot even with our small jibs. At about 3:20 in this video from Labor Day weekend, I’m changing to an outboard jib sheet, just after that you see us wing on wing catch and pass a C355 with a big genoa on a short downwind leg. Yeah, it’s the same one that beat us last Saturday, though.
I agree that there are much more experienced racers here, but you're the only one screwy enough to race a Hunter! And you have more experience with it than I do so-to me-you're the expert. Poling out the jib has given us limited success mainly because it seems like most of our races were in light wind. I like the idea of outboard sheeting the jib for downwind. We have played with it a little but not extensively, unfortunately our racing is over for the year-so it's something to look forward to for next year.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I agree that there are much more experienced racers here, but you're the only one screwy enough to race a Hunter! And you have more experience with it than I do so-to me-you're the expert.
There are lots of Hunters racing. We're some of the only ones screwy enough to race the late model B & R rigged Hunters with tiny jibs and no backstays. There were only four boats in the "race" I was in last Saturday and three of them were Hunters. An 80's 34 and a 90's 37.5 using big genoas, and my 340.
The outboard jib sheet isn't just for downwind. I use it every chance I get on close and beam reaches, anytime I'm outside 65 degrees or so apparent, depending on wind speed. But, you have to have a twing or tweaker line on it. It seems to add measurable boat speed for me.

Last edited:

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
There are lots of Hunters racing. We're some of the only ones screwy enough to race the late model B & R rigged Hunters with tiny jibs and no backstays. There were only four boats in the "race" I was in last Saturday and three of them were Hunters. An 80's 34 and a 90's 37.5 using big genoas, and my 340.
The outboard jib sheet isn't just for downwind. I use it every chance I get on close and beam reaches, anytime I'm outside 65 degrees or so apparent, depending on wind speed. But, you have to have a twing or tweaker line on it. It seems to add measurable boat speed for me.
That's a good tip on the outboard sheeting with twings. I agree about the B&R rig and no backstays being a bit of hindrance for racing. We race my friends Hunter rather than my S2 because, frankly, he brought it up! I think the Hunter is a blast to race because of the heel and feedback you get on the helm and that it feels fast even though we never win. It is not set up for racing and is the true definition of a cruiser in a "cruiser" class race-cruiser in quotes because the boat that normally wins is a Merit 22 that is mainly set up to race.

Nov 14, 2016
Hunter 386 QCYC
Hi Bill,

I appreciate I am late to the party, but maybe I can assist.

I have been digging into how to rep[air some items in my rodkicker and this was a great and helpful story. IN this, you mentioned you could not add a gas spring as the lower "plug" (on the 20" did not have holes to fit into. It turns out that the piece has the tabs more because it is the same part as the upper, BUT, it does not use the tabs. You are supposed to add a tube inside the large base to support the lower end of the plug. Yes, that is dumb. In the 10, you can see that it does not have the tabs, but it is a lower weight/strength piece. This is a helpful story: Repairing a Broken Selden Rodkicker