Rodents ugh

Sep 27, 2014
Catalina 30 Naples City Docks
Thanks everybody for the voluminous suggestions! I am trying the fresh cab and bleach in the water and an electronic noise maker.i'll report back in a few days and see what happens. I've never actually seen any of these guys but I have seen this nesting stuff and their leftovers. I don't think they'll permit use of shotguns at the marina.....

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Lift off and nuke the site from high orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Eliminate the access and you can eliminate the problem. Screens in vents and rat guards on the lines.

Some of the less well maintained boats at the marina have become residences for racoon families, that adds a whole 'nother layer of suckage to a problem.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I agree with Ron. You have to block their point of entry, which is logically the stern cowl vents. They really should have been made with steel mesh built into them. If they are already on the boat, you have to catch them, & in or 100 year old farmhouse its hard to keep em out, so we use glue traps. They already have a food scent on the trap to attract mice. Dryer sheets? hah. Mice will appreciate wiping their gubs on those after they eat everything on your boat. lol.
Avoid moth balls. They stink like hell & the chemical on them is formaldeyde which is not good to breathe.

Sep 27, 2014
Catalina 30 Naples City Docks
I thought I would post the final update. The methods I described in my last post worked like a charm. I am 100% Rodent free at this point. Again, thanks everybody for your help. It's really great to get rid of those critters and have a clean boat again.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Capt. Ron is right. Keep the vermin out in the first place instead of trying to repel them once they're already inside. It's logical that the main point of entry on a C 30 would be the stern cowl vents. You can easily cut metal window screening mesh to create a barrier to stop pests, but still allow fresh air to enter.

ps. Moth balls stink like hell, & are full of formaldehyde, which is a nasty chemical used in embalming fluid.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Many rodents can and do gnaw through metal screens with vigor. That will not help you.