Rode for Desolation Sound

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Pricey little beggars but I have used these chain markers for 12 years and never lost a one. A guesstimate would be 300-400 ups and downs in those 12 years.

Imtra Chain Markers

And these for the 3 strand. Only a couple times a year do I get into the 3 strand after 200’ of G4 chain.

Anchor Rode Markers
Just to add our marking scheme which is placed inside (underneath) the anchor locker hatch.
IMG_1123.jpeg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The marina in Sturt is cheap and friendly and a safer bet than snagging old logs and cables on the bottom.
Perhaps so as many anchorages once were. But to me, marinas become an anathema to my cruising experience. Dislodging an anchor from the sea bed is a risk I'm willing to take.

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
Should be fine. There are spots we anchor in 60 ft but it's sloped bottom with a stern tie, so the rode still has a good angle on the bottom. Most areas are 30 to 45ft at high tide. You'll need a 300ft stern line.

more importantly what anchor type? Danforth won't due and CQR tends to be unreliable in these parts. Vulcan does well as do many bruce anchors. Mud bottom is typical with accosional rocky area.
We have a 40# Bruce, which has yet to drag on us. Seems a reliable anchor.

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
Was there just last week .... can totally relate. We got blown sideways as we were stern tied (easier to get the dog to shore) when the wind kicked up. Fortunately the bay was a ghost town....
I have yet to have a summer where I don't find an errant dinghy or paddleboard and manage to reunite it with it's rightful owner. Never trust a bowline on a floating line that's not under load! :)

View attachment 223978
I’ve yet to have a bowline fail, but maybe I just need the right conditions for the experience to happen. What do you use instead of a bowline to tie to your dinghy?