Rode for Desolation Sound

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
I’m currently shopping replacement chain, and want to be sure we’ve enough for Desolation Sound, which we plan to spend some time in this summer. I currently have 100’ of 5/8 G4, and 175’ of 5/8” 3 strand. Does this seem adequate; or would it be recommended to have more chain and/or nylon line?
We’re in a 37’ Hunter Legend, dry weight 13,000lbs.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
My C36 has 50' of chain and 3/4" rode. I feel safer with thicker rode.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rode diameter should be what makes you feel safe. I’ve heard a rule of thumb is 1/8” per 9ft of boat length as a minimum. 5/8 diameter rode gives you a small extra margin. 3/4 diameter is a bit more comforting when the wind whips up.

Regarding length you’ll want enough chain and rode to anchor in the depths of your pre selected anchorages. Think scope. 5-1 recommended minimum. 8-1 in windy weather and 10-1 in gales. You have 275” or 80 meters with 4 meter reserve. A scope of 5-1 lets you anchor in 16 meters of water. (Canadian Charts are in Meters.). An 8-1 scope limits you to 10 meter depth anchorage (aprox 30ft). 10-1 means you need to anchor in places with no more than 8 meters depth.

Additionally, you’ll want to carry 500-600 ft 3/8 to 1/2 inch diameter line to use as a shore tie in some locations.

Check the area guides to identify the anchorages that are tight and utilize shore tie setups.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I currently have 100’ of 5/8 G4, and 175’ of 5/8” 3 strand. Does this seem adequate; or would it be recommended to have more chain and/or nylon line?
We've been to Desolation Sound a number of times over the years in our 35,000 pound boat, which has 50' of chain and 150' of 5/8" nylon three strand rope. In all the years of anchoring, except twice, I normally drop in under 30' of water with 110' of rode (chain plus rope) in normal weather and 140' in snotty weather, unless really snotty, then more. Once I set the anchor, I clip on the rope a 20 pound lead ball down about ten feet with a lanyard in order to improve catenary. This has always been adequate.

Dec 4, 2023
Hunter 44 Portsmouth
We've been to Desolation Sound a number of times over the years in our 35,000 pound boat, which has 50' of chain and 150' of 5/8" nylon three strand rope. In all the years of anchoring, except twice, I normally drop in under 30' of water with 110' of rode (chain plus rope) in normal weather and 140' in snotty weather, unless really snotty, then more. Once I set the anchor, I clip on the rope a 20 pound lead ball down about ten feet with a lanyard in order to improve catenary. This has always been adequate.
Thanks for that info, @Terry Cox . I've been looking at upgrading my anchor gear lately. I'm running a similar setup to you, and I'm hoping to not introduce more chain into the mix. I think, generally, long chain anchor rodes are somewhat overrated. The catenary will turn into essentially a straight line in high loads and, at that point, the chain isn't doing anything for you that rope can't. Chain can help with initial anchor set, but chain is also expensive and heavy. Worse, it's heavy at the bow of the boat.

I think the big benefit to chain is that the overall rigidity of the system is easy to control with a snubber. Nylon rode is flexible, so there's a springing effect that happens as the anchor is loaded and unloaded. I suspect that this makes the "hunting" effect on anchor worse that fin keel boats exhibit.

Are you getting a lot of hunting while you're at anchor? Do you use a riding sail or some other setup to stabilize the boat?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
  • I normally drop in under 30' of water with 110' of rode (chain plus rope) in normal weather
  • and 140' in snotty weather,
  • unless really snotty, then more.
Anchoring and staying safely anchored involves several factors. Most are in the boaters control sometimes they are not.
  1. First on the list is choosing the right anchorage in relationship to the weather.
  2. Getting to the anchorage early so as to have choices as to where you will set the hook (in less than 30feet as @Terry Cox prefers) or nearby trees that block the wind. Or will you be out at the edge of the bay in deep water.
  3. Having a good anchor that sets well and will reset properly as the tides or winds change
  4. Having enough chain to keep your anchor on the bottom and the pull low - horizontal to the seabed - aiding the anchor to reset. Or are you using additional weight (ie. A 20lb kettle) on your rode. Chain helps reduce chafe on the rode when the bottom is stones not mud.
  5. Know the tidal change in your waters.
  6. Understand the difference between short and long scope on how the anchor systems preform. 100 feet of chain and rode in 30 feet of water at low tide is approximately 3-1 scope. If high tide is 10 feet more water under your keel then your scope is no longer 3-1
  7. What scope do you consider minimum? What conditions benign or nasty do you prepare to address in your selection of anchor gear?
It’s your boat and crew. Choose Wisely.

• Helpful
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Anchoring in Desolation Sound is no different than anchoring anywhere else. Many of my favourite anchorages are in that region and we do go often but not during the peak summer season. Check your charts for the anchorages that you plan to visit and decide on your ground tackle based on the depths, tides, sea bottom and exposure to wind. The good news is that, for the most part, anchorages in Desolation are protected from large fetch (coves, inlets, harbours). Winds are normally calm but you should be prepared otherwise. The bad news is that tides can exceed 17' (15.5' at 6 AM this morning) so 30' becomes 45'+ at high tide. And it does get congested (to read very congested) during the summer months so you will benefit by staying put with chain rode. The shallower areas are usually reserved for boats with shallow draft and/or those that do not mind anchoring very close to others. And yes you will have to get there really early or move to a better spot the next day. Popular anchorages are Prideaux Harbour (40' plus tide 55'), Von Donop Inlet, Grace Harbour and Squirrel Cove (30'/45') and Drew Harbour (60'/75'). There are many, many others that may require creative anchoring techniques (Tenedos Bay) and of course stern tie. FWIW, I have 200' 5/16" G4 and 250' 5/8" nylon 3 strand anchor line with a 15kg \Manson Supreme on a boat with a displacement of 12,500 lbs. I usually anchor with a scope of 3 (plus a little) and only occasionally am I into the anchor line. Average I would guess would be 150' to 180'.

• Helpful

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Thanks for that info, @Terry Cox . I think, generally, long chain anchor rodes are somewhat overrated. The catenary will turn into essentially a straight line in high loads and, at that point, the chain isn't doing anything for you that rope can't.
In the conditions where the catenary is no longer much, or any, of a difference - there is the problem of chaffe with line. I've watched rope rode that in less extreme conditions work perfectly well, but under these extreme conditions the appearance of chaffe points not seen before become quite evident. At this loading, the rope rode chaffe degradation is really fast.

I have still not seen a good reason to not go all chain. I guess weight, but I feel that is very easy to control. Chain is superior from low to medium loads for its catenary effect, and in high loads for its chaffe protection. I see it as a win-win.

I will never go back from all chain anchor line.

dj

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Are you getting a lot of hunting while you're at anchor? Do you use a riding sail or some other setup to stabilize the boat?
Yes, but no bother here and no riding sail either. If you want any information on specific anchorage locations, let's talk. Waggners has lots of good cruising information, be sure to have copy on board and plan your next stop accordingly. I look for places where other boaters tend to bypass. Check out my Desolation Sound cruise 2023 video on this forum for specific locations.

IMHO all chain really unnecessary around our waters. Most all PNW anchorages contain either mud or sand with good holding once set. There are a few exceptions, like Cortez Bay on Cortez Island, another story.

• Helpful

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I have been sailing around Desolation Sound for many years as it only 3 hour away. We use 100 feet chain 250 rode in 98% of the time we only need 125-150 feet. The big thing is to remember to look at the tide tables as up here you can get 10-15 feet swings so if you anchor in 15 feet at low tide and using 5/1 you would need 75 Feet but then a 15 foot tide in the middle of the night with 25 kt wind say hello rocks.

Feb 16, 2021
Picked up 135’ of ACCO chain from Defender. That with my 175’ of 5/8” 3 strand gives me 310’ of rode. I’m feeling pretty good about that, and my small anchor locker will accommodate. Now I just need to flip my 3 strand, splice to the chain (I understand this costs ~10% of the rope’s tensile strength), and redo my marks on the chain and rode.

Any recommendations for indicating depths on the chain? I’ve been using colored zip ties, which works quite well. Now that I have new chain though, I’d consider painting it at intervals if it would last longer. I didn’t bother painting my old chain as it seemed it wouldn’t stick. New chain tho..?

Oct 22, 2014
I’d consider painting it at intervals if it would last longer. I didn’t bother painting my old chain as it seemed it wouldn’t stick. New chain tho..?
Nothing is permanent. Both work but both fade/degrade in time and need to be renewed.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Picked up 135’ of ACCO chain from Defender. That with my 175’ of 5/8” 3 strand gives me 310’ of rode. I’m feeling pretty good about that, and my small anchor locker will accommodate. Now I just need to flip my 3 strand, splice to the chain (I understand this costs ~10% of the rope’s tensile strength), and redo my marks on the chain and rode.

Any recommendations for indicating depths on the chain? I’ve been using colored zip ties, which works quite well. Now that I have new chain though, I’d consider painting it at intervals if it would last longer. I didn’t bother painting my old chain as it seemed it wouldn’t stick. New chain tho..?
If you have space, I'd use a thimble and splice over a thimble to the chain. The rope to chain splice I use on the bottom of my all chain side so the chain can't leave the boat and I have a rope tail at the end of my chain in case I want it to leave the boat in a hurry, I can just cut the line. But for a working joint like you'll have, I'd splice over a thimble and use a shackle to join them. That's how I did my secondary anchor which is a rode/chain system like you are building for your primary anchor.

I found paint lasts very little time. I went from paint to zip ties. There have been threads about other sytems of marking the chain. You may wish to read through those.

There is also a rule of thumb that most windlasses drop chain at about 3 feet per second. I don't know what happens there when you get to your rode...

dj

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Pricey little beggars but I have used these chain markers for 12 years and never lost a one. A guesstimate would be 300-400 ups and downs in those 12 years.

Imtra Chain Markers

And these for the 3 strand. Only a couple times a year do I get into the 3 strand after 200’ of G4 chain.

Anchor Rode Markers

Oct 22, 2014
Those Imtra markers look very interesting. Fit in the chain link. Nothing to rub against the gypsy (like zip ties). I am intrigued.

Now to just find the correct size… Gees. Wonder is someone would measure my chain link space for me. Maybe read the package. Then I could just send the money to buy it. It would be so much easier… Maybe I need a butler…

Thanks Len!

Feb 16, 2021
Those Imtra markers look very interesting. Fit in the chain link. Nothing to rub against the gypsy (like zip ties). I am intrigued.

Now to just find the correct size… Gees. Wonder is someone would measure my chain link space for me. Maybe read the package. Then I could just send the money to buy it. It would be so much easier… Maybe I need a butler…

Thanks Len!
I used those (properly sized) and found them to fall out constantly. I finally took the remaining few out and put in colored zip ties. I definitely don’t recommend them.

Feb 16, 2021
Pricey little beggars but I have used these chain markers for 12 years and never lost a one. A guesstimate would be 300-400 ups and downs in those 12 years.

Imtra Chain Markers

And these for the 3 strand. Only a couple times a year do I get into the 3 strand after 200’ of G4 chain.

Anchor Rode Markers
I constantly lost those Imra markers. I wonder why yours stayed put? I still have the remainder of the ones I pulled after they kept falling out. What size is your chain? Mine was 5/16 G4. Maybe they do better on some chain than others.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
I constantly lost those Imra markers. I wonder why yours stayed put? I still have the remainder of the ones I pulled after they kept falling out. What size is your chain? Mine was 5/16 G4. Maybe they do better on some chain than others.
I wished I could help as to why mine stays put. I tried paint, the best of nail polish (much to the crew's ire) and tie wraps with mixed results before I came across the Imra markers at the chandlery. Honestly, I'm to the point where I have total confidence in them and just expect them to be there.
My chain is 5/16" CMP Global High Test windlass chain G43.

Note: Edited to reflect the chain diameter

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021
Interesting. I will try some on the new chain. I’m getting this week and see if I have any better luck.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Interesting. I will try some on the new chain. I’m getting this week and see if I have any better luck.
Possibly the design of the windlass gypsy has something to do with way the chain markers are handled. Unfortunately I have not watched that closely as the chain is recovered or deployed. My windlass is a Lewmar V3 vertical windlass.