Rocna on Bowsprit

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I finally got a chance to fit the Rocna 10 to my C30 tall rig. Haven't used it yet but will see how it works in our river. Not much real estate at the bow so made a chain stopper out of aluminum channel.

Attachments

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Looks good to me. I'm not sure what you were using before but I am sure you'll love that anchor

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 MkII Foss Harbor Marina, Tacoma, WA
...wondering if anyone has accomplished the same thing on a no bow-sprit C30...even less real estate.

Jan 6, 2010
Note of caution guys,

I had a wooden bowsprit on my C30. One day it broke at the bobstay lower swage fitting but luckily, I had my main & 155 up. I almost lost my mast, but was able to run downwind to keep the mast up while securing it with my extra halyard. Then I limped back home.

Upon inspection, I was shocked to find the side strap bolting was how do I say it, "A REAL POS" attachment. Nothing more than the thickness of the hull & a couple of washers, REALLY?

I contacted Catalina & ordered their solid glass bowsprit used on their newer boats. I had my glassman build up the fiberglass strap attachment areas (in the anchor locker) & added stainless backing plates also glassed in. For the bobstay, because it was this that failed, I went with Nitronic 50 solid cable with mechanical fittings in lieu of swage fittings.

If you have a wooden bowsprit, inspect the underside of the wood & the attachments in the anchor locker. If your bobstay is swaged, I would replace this with a mechanical fitting & solid not strand cable. Especially if having an anchor roller that you use.

On another note, if you have wooden spreaders, inspect the topsides as one of my spreaders also failed. I had JSI make me new aluminum spreaders. this was an easy replacement. They now look like airplane wings.

You need check these before they fail.

CR

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Note of caution guys,

I had a wooden bowsprit on my C30. One day it broke at the bobstay lower swage fitting but luckily, I had my main & 155 up. I almost lost my mast, but was able to run downwind to keep the mast up while securing it with my extra halyard. Then I limped back home.

Upon inspection, I was shocked to find the side strap bolting was how do I say it, "A REAL POS" attachment. Nothing more than the thickness of the hull & a couple of washers, REALLY?

I contacted Catalina & ordered their solid glass bowsprit used on their newer boats. I had my glassman build up the fiberglass strap attachment areas (in the anchor locker) & added stainless backing plates also glassed in. For the bobstay, because it was this that failed, I went with Nitronic 50 solid cable with mechanical fittings in lieu of swage fittings.

If you have a wooden bowsprit, inspect the underside of the wood & the attachments in the anchor locker. If your bobstay is swaged, I would replace this with a mechanical fitting & solid not strand cable. Especially if having an anchor roller that you use.

On another note, if you have wooden spreaders, inspect the topsides as one of my spreaders also failed. I had JSI make me new aluminum spreaders. this was an easy replacement. They now look like airplane wings.

You need check these before they fail.

CR
that is very good advice Ron...i have read a lot on these problems in the past

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Bob, I was using a danforth style cheap anchor that was all bent out of shape. It was on the boat when I purchased.

Ron
Agree with all you said. Luckily I anchor in very protected waters on the river.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
...wondering if anyone has accomplished the same thing on a no bow-sprit C30...even less real estate.
I'm using a Mason Supreme on a standard rig with no problem. I will say that I stow the anchor in the anchor locker when not using it. A bit of a pain but after seeing Maine Sail's write up on chafing and I'm on a mooring, i feel safer!

http://www.marinehowto.com/
Mooring Preparation & Precautions

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Capt. Ron gives good advice. I have always questioned just how strong the average 30 year old wooden bow sprit still is after the years of marine salt corrosion. There is an awful lot of stress on that sprit when the forestay & furling gear are attached to it already. I for one am glad that I don't have this sprit, as it looks like an accident waiting to happen. Incidentally, I also had a forestay fail on me on a Catalina 25, & was also lucky enough to turn down wind to avoid a dismasting. The cotter pins used by Catalina on all of their turnbuckles are cheap & should always be replaced. My cotter pin sheared off & the $.50 cent part nearly cost me big time. I always prefer having the anchor in the locker for safety, but the Rocna sure looks like a great battering ram & would surely take a hit for you!

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I always prefer having the anchor in the locker for safety, but the Rocna sure looks like a great battering ram & would surely take a hit for you!
Ha! It works for giving bruises when you pass by on the dock also.

Actually when you look at the angles of the bob stay and forestay, the sprit is in compression towards the bow of the boat. Obviously when something parts (like the swage, or turnbuckel) then all bets are off and no different than a normal rig setup.
Adding anchor stresses is a different story unless your using a bridle which I don't have.