Rigging the 2nd reef in a 310?

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Agree with you @Flying Jay that angle looks very bad, and will probably fail the bullseye fairlead soon due to horizontal stress. My fairlead is below the gooseneck by at least 18 inches. You need something there to pull the tack forward. If you are going to relocate that bullseye, consider a cheek block as it will always be under horizontal pull when you are reefed.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I'm also going to lower this not-so-fair lead on the mast for reef line #1. The angle causes a lot of friction, probably because of the carbo block, but I think the carbo blocks are a great improvement overall.
I wonder if that fair lead is supposed to be for a halyard, and not the reef line?

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
I wonder if that fair lead is supposed to be for a halyard, and not the reef line?
From a diagram in the 310 manual it looks like it’s meant for the reefing system(s), there’s one on each side. My addition of the carbo block makes the angle more severe, but it was a point of friction before I added the block too. I think lowering it, or replacing with cheek block will be a good tweak.

Attachments