Review please Cal 39

Nov 16, 2018
Cal 39 MKIII Mission Bay
That describes me actually!! I'm stuck in Minnesota and have been working towards a boat since beginning of the year.. This was the closest I have come too purchasing an old girl. I was even starting to make plans in my head to explore the sea of Cortez. So my sails have been slightly deflated. Originally the plan was the Caribbean for the first year, but this boat came along. Now we'll just heads south in January with some green and a dream! Minnesota is paradise in the summers but that's only 4 good months.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@capta gave us some insights as to places to look for a boat.

The Caribbean, Panama, and Hawaii. I believe these are the places mentioned where sailing adventures have come to a halt and boats are abandoned by disillusioned cruisers. Where deals or nightmares can be found.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I like Cal yachts. Fond memory of beating the 39 in a pursuit race some 25 yr ago in FL, me in my Pearson 30, where we finished ahead at the finish line by “a nose” to take third in class, fifth in fleet (Suncoast Race Week). Very exciting! I remember the boat, Endangered Species. Apropos, n’est-ce pas?

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023
Hunter Legend 37 Biscayne Bay
Stu is correct in general. However, in this case there is at least one issue that is not typical with most boats of this vintage.

Many if not most of the Lapworth boats of this era--and I believe the Cal 39 is one of them--used a galvanized steel beam to support the mast. This beam is hidden by a fiberglass liner and if you did not know about it you would not even think to look. Over time this beam can rust significantly, seriously compromising the ability to stand up against the compressive forces of the mast. Replacing this beam is not a trivial repair.

A Google search will turn up some hits. Here's one to get you started: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?480239-Just-bought-a-Cal-39-MKII

Edit: I had the wrong link pasted above. It is now fixed.
Hello

Mini thread hi-jack.

I am looking at a 1980 Cal 39.
Can the Cal 39 have both a Deck step Mast and a KEEL step mast?
The one I am looking at, the broker says it is keel stepped.
I have seen the boat 2 times and am hesitant on asking to see it a 3 rd time lol.
I am not sure if I would be able to tell the difference between a compression post or a keel stepped mast.
Looking for how to tell the difference either in person or by the year made.

Oct 22, 2014
Deck stepped masts have a base plate on the deck the mast rests upon.

This is how mine looks with out the mast.
IMG_0439.jpeg

The compression post might be a vertical beam, wood or metal that sits between the bottom of the deck and the keel.
IMG_1726.jpegIMG_1832.jpeg
On my boat I wired the cables thru the deck and attached them to the wooden compression post. Then I installed a wooden chase over the cables covering them.

On a keel stepped mast you see the mast coming through the deck. On deck there will be a mast skirt to keep water from running down the mast into the cabin.

The mast look’s something like this in a Catalina 36 as it enters cabin running down to the keel through the sole.

IMG_4056.jpeg

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Hello

Mini thread hi-jack.

I am looking at a 1980 Cal 39.
Can the Cal 39 have both a Deck step Mast and a KEEL step mast?
The one I am looking at, the broker says it is keel stepped.
I have seen the boat 2 times and am hesitant on asking to see it a 3 rd time lol.
I am not sure if I would be able to tell the difference between a compression post or a keel stepped mast.
Looking for how to tell the difference either in person or by the year made.
The 1980 Cal 39 in this YachtWorld listing is clearly keel stepped.

Oct 22, 2014
:plus: on Alan's find.

I would expect that all of the 39's would be keel stepped. It would be unusual for a builder to alter the configuration of the mast rigging and sail design from year to year.

Jul 28, 2023
Thanks for the confirmation on the "keel stepped mast"
There was a post about Cals and how there was a POST that is made of X or Y metal and that it corrodes often. I'll re look for the post and add it here for reference and information.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Thanks for the confirmation on the "keel stepped mast"
There was a post about Cals and how there was a POST that is made of X or Y metal and that it corrodes often. I'll re look for the post and add it here for reference and information.
The question is whether the Cal 39 has the dreaded mild steel mast support beam (or "bird," as they called it at the factory) that a number of other Cal models do. I don't know first hand, but it sounds like it does.. It's something you'll want to be certain about.

Jul 28, 2023
The question is whether the Cal 39 has the dreaded mild steel mast support beam (or "bird," as they called it at the factory) that a number of other Cal models do. I don't know first hand, but it sounds like it does.. It's something you'll want to be certain about.
Exactly!!! Read something similar but not comprehensible to me. It wrongly lead me to believe it was a DECK MAST STEP with a compression post. Will certainly look around for more info on this to see if this CAL 39 has this mild steel support beam.

And the post you linked is from MIAMI!!! lol I am leading to believe we are talking about the same darn boat. If such is the case, I have been asking a million questions and the owner and the broker ... well.. i'll wait to learn more on my own.

:(

EDIT ADD

I read the survey and it says " replace port chain plate and shroud.." and recommend "rigging inspection".
I was provided with a list of things done and not done,
2 are
-rigging inspection complete
-chain plate and shroud NOT replaced.

I asked for info on the inspection of rigging results but don't get anywhere with that question.
Interestingly in that week, I heard the story of a local sailor, much more novice than me, who went out on 15 knots and on a beam reach his chain plate broke and.. well standing rigging come down. I asked that group of friends how often now after that story do they reckon they would change /check their rigging and non answered check it often nor change it every 10 years lol...
He showed me a picture of the chainplate, and had signs of corrosion but could not tell if the cracking /crevices was before the chain plate gave way.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Crevice corrosion is no laughing matter.

It is visible if you look. Rust stains are a give away. Most boaters look right past the obvious.

In the warm water Sun belt the risks happen sooner. 8-10 years is a common occurrence period for standing rigging issues. Arduous sailing on the rig. Or surviving a hurricane all can compromise the metals of a rig.

When I discussed the issue with my rigger he said, I estimate 50-60% of the boats in the marina are deteriorating to a point of near failure. This is in the northern climate of the 46/48 parallel.

Get a good rigger to inspect your rig before you buy. Not all surveyors know about sailboat rigging.

Jul 28, 2023
Crevice corrosion is no laughing matter.

Get a good rigger to inspect your rig before you buy. Not all surveyors know about sailboat rigging.
I am afraid you are right, and similarly with Yacthtbrokers. My occupation/background makes me OCD when it comes to mechanical systems.

I had told the broker that I wanted to bring an engine mechanic and/or a rigging inspector to see the boat before continuing and getting more serious.
He said that he cant turn the engine on, it requires a captain to even motor off the mooring. My mechanic said for a BASIC ENGINE INSPECTION we would need to motor and be at 2k RMP for a couple of minutes.
The Broker said that first comes the survey which requires for me to make and offer, for offer to get accept it, and give a refundable deposit.
I was not comfortable with such.
I will do a shallow superficial rig / vessel inspection my self to my novice eyes and then move ask for a rigging inspector IF THE BROKER IS NOT TIRED of me lol . I do have the number of 3 local rigging inspectors provided by the broker; I have yet to speak with them.

Oct 22, 2014
The broker schedule of events is not out of line.

Offer with refundable deposit and CONDITIONS/CONTINGENCIES are the general practice.

You want to know that the Owner has clear title, the ability and desire to sell the boat at the price you believe it is worth.

Acceptance of your offer now gives you rights to validate the conditions and contingencies (such as non destructive inspections and access to the boat). Do not let the captain thing cause you concern. If broker is selling the boat he/she will make that happen often moving the boat to a dock to facilitate the sale.

Line up your own inspectors, have a plan, open up all cabinets and voids. Use a strong light. Use a camera. You want to look at all the shadowy places of the boat. The pictures will help you remember what you saw.