Revenge is sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
November 12, 2010 – Lake County
We normally don't follow election results in 'Lectronic Latitude, but we felt our readers would be interested to learn that Lake County's Sheriff Rod Mitchell was ousted last Wednesday by a reasonably close margin. Deputy Francisco Rivero received 53.9% of the vote, with 16-year incumbent Mitchell garnering 46.1%.
Many felt that Mitchell went above and beyond in protecting his #2 man, Deputy Russell Perdock, when the latter ran his speedboat over a drifting sailboat on the night of April 29, 2006, killing 51-year-old Lynn Thornton of Willows. Despite the fact that Perdock was traveling at speeds over 45 mph on a pitch black night, investigators seemingly never even considered him to be at fault, instead focusing their attention on the couple of beers the sailboat's helmsman, Bismarck Dinius, had consumed that night. The case against Dinius, prosecuted by outgoing District Attorney Jon E. Hopkins — he was voted out of office during the primaries in June — culminated on August 20, 2009 with 'not guilty' verdicts on charges including felony BUI resulting in death. It seems that, with Perdock's firing from the department this April, justice has won a trifecta.

The Trifecta of Justice: Russell Perdock, Jon E. Hopkins, and Rod Mitchell lost their jobs after aggressively prosecuting -- some say persecuting -- Bismarck Dinius.
© 2010 The Journal of Justice​

Meanwhile, Bismarck Dinius is still struggling to pay his monumental legal bills after having been out of work for years due to the case, but the future is beginning to brighten. "I just got my insurance broker's license and am starting a new insurance business," he told us last week. Hopefully sailors will be eager to use his services once he's up and running.
- latitude / ld

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I have advocated financial recourse for people charged by the DA and exonerated by a jury. Most people will be financially ruined by the cost of defending a felony charge.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Wrong Forum for this. I don't really care but somebody in control will say something. 'seen it before. I think you can move it if you want.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Wrong Forum for this. I don't really care but somebody in control will say something. 'seen it before. I think you can move it if you want.
I am going to let the post stand, but, Phil or Scott may see it differently.

This was a very well known case involving a sailboat & death of an individual on the sailboat caused by an off duty "officer of the law". It was watched and followed by many on this forum for the egregious abuses of power involved.

If the thread digresses to "politics" it will get moved but I doubt there is anyone here who disagrees that those three deserved what they got.

Jul 1, 2004
Hunter 40 St. Petersburg
I think it's a perfectly good post for this forum

It's regarding a serious boating incident that has been begging for a resolution.

I don't know if this is it or not, but it's a start.

I say thanks to Steve and MS.

Heard a great line the other day. 'Our government really sucks but it's the best there is.'

Okay, now, that doesn't belong in this forum. :)

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Glad to see, in a way, these three got theirs. Unfortunately the problem ran deeper than Lake County. The State attorney general had oversight of this abuse and was well aware of it yet chose to let it continue.

His fate - he's now our newly elected governor.

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
Glad to hear an update. The victory of these guys getting the boot still feels hollow knowing a sailor's life was ruined by the abuse of power. I hope it is a very temporary set back.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
hooooyaaaah, hooray and gods bless the voters of lake county kali!!!!!!

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Life in the "Real World"

This story is all about life in the real world. A small group of people out "enjoying the life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" and then look what happened. Chaos. Then a worst nightmare come true.

This could have been a story about any one of us. You mind your own business and do what is right but some numbskull and a few hypocritical associates all but destroys your life and the lives of those around you, and in some cases, even those you don't even know.

And for me, being someone who doesn't know anyone involved in this story, this saga, nay, nightmare, was a game-changer because it shows that even though you do things "right" it's still possible to be a looser in the end.

Once this story broke on this forum I followed the daily news reports. Unfortunately, there was very little we could do from such a distance except for making donations to the legal fund and writing postings.

This saga is, unfortunately, something that we can all learn from.

USA: "Land of the Free" (we let all the nuts run free)

Jul 27, 2009
Hunter 1981 30 Lake Travis
Two Sides

Folks this accident had multiple causes. A power boat going to fast on a dark night, a sailboat operated by an impaired crew (both helmsman & owner) and questions about lights. Revenge??? Is that what we want here? How about we all take a hard look at how we operate our own crafts and allow our friends to operate theirs? Rule's or the road or right away means nothing if you let yourself get in a sistuation where something bad is going to happen.I grew up on that lake, it isn't the first accident due to speed & alcohol nor will it be the last. But we do need to look out for each other.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
texas,

IIRC, the sailboat was sitting, anchored off to the side..how was impairment of their crew even a factor?

If you mean looking out for each other like law enforcement often does, then leave me out...the real criminals in this - Perdock, Hopkins and Mitchell - certainly looked out for each other at the insane expense of the honest man who had to prove they were liars and crooks. Dinius will never be made whole as the law proclaims...these crooks have done their damage..Revenge is the least that should be asked for...payment of Dinius' lawsuit should be provided by Perdock, Hopkins and Mitchell, as well as lost time, suffering, etc, etc....

when the LEO can get away with murder and pin the blame on the next closest guy...something is wrong in that county..and for you to defend their actions and place blame on the crew is ludicrous

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
texas,

IIRC, the sailboat was sitting, anchored off to the side..how was impairment of their crew even a factor?

If you mean looking out for each other like law enforcement often does, then leave me out...the real criminals in this - Perdock, Hopkins and Mitchell - certainly looked out for each other at the insane expense of the honest man who had to prove they were liars and crooks. Dinius will never be made whole as the law proclaims...these crooks have done their damage..Revenge is the least that should be asked for...payment of Dinius' lawsuit should be provided by Perdock, Hopkins and Mitchell, as well as lost time, suffering, etc, etc....

when the LEO can get away with murder and pin the blame on the next closest guy...something is wrong in that county..and for you to defend their actions and place blame on the crew is ludicrous
\ has everyone forgotten about the lady who was killed by pur-duck and his boys????
isnt just dinius never going to be same again-- she is DEAD. that is kinda terminal. ye think?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
We had a state trooper killed when he rear ended a fire truck stopped on the highway with all of its lights on tending to an emergency. They had to investigate the cause.
I have not heard the result of the investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.