Retractible Keel Line Replacement

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
I just did my line myself on my 260 a couple weeks ago. Mine was a multi weekend ordeal as the first time I lifted the boat I discovered the bracket was roached. The pivot hole had worn to a pivot oval and rusted.

My boat was lifted with a 3 ton gantry lift at the stern and then a series of boat stands to get it about 1.5 feet up off the trailer.

A couple tricks I found…

First - tie your new line to the old really really well. I thought mine was and even threaded it with an awl, but it still came apart.

However, I’ve got a simple solution if you make the mistake I made. The line comes out a small tube under the compression post in the centerboard trunk. This tube was the perfect diameter to snuggly fit inside a small hose from a shop vac. With the shop vac connected and on, I went above and took some twine. The vac immediately sucked it in and I had a new feeder line in seconds.

Also - Some suggested using a threaded rod to help align the bracket with the hole inside the boat. I found that this was more difficult than it helped as if it was slightly off the rod would bind. On a proper travel lift maybe the angles are better for this method.

What I did instead was to use two ratchet straps from the side stay eyes going under the centerboard up the other side. I added padding on each side to protect the hull. This allowed me to raise and reposition the centerboard with relative ease. Using this method, I would go back and forth inside and outside adjusting until I had the keel bracket lined up about 1 and a 1/2” below the hole. Then I fed the bolt in, tightened everything up and was good to go.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The boat should be lifted as a whole unit to prevent stands from kicking out for safety. Thank goodness you got it done and you are ok. Stands need to be secured and one other trick. Tie a line on each side of the boat to the slings to prevent them from slipping off.