Retractible Keel Line Replacement

sullyd

Jul 14, 2021
Hunter 240 240 Wando River
Has anyone changed the line on a 240 retractible keel. Would appreciate anyones ideas on the best way to accomplish this task. I have looked on YOUTUBE with no luck!

sullyd

Jul 14, 2021
Thanks for the info. This looks more difficult than I was wanting to tackle. I live in Mt Pleasant off of the Wando River. I have 1998 240 and the centerboard and inside configuration is slightly different. The previous owner did not use the right type of haul line and it has caused damage to the interior shell ceiling around the center post. Your photos appear to be at the Cooper River haul out next to the Hunley Museum. I sail as often as I can on the Wando and Charleston Harbour and hope to see you out there. Thanks again for the info. It was most helpful!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Actually those photos were at Pellican Point Marina on Smith Mountain Lake VA.

I am living in Mt. P. at the moment. I'd be happy to come take a look and give a hand if needed. You will need to find a way to lift your boat. There are many different ways to tackle that but safety is the most important factor. When you replace the line, buy the best, most UV-resistant line you can. You only want to do this job once. With the help of @Crazy Dave Condon and @Kermit we did two boats in one afternoon.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Now that I’ve been working out I’ll come lift the boat for you.

Last edited:

sullyd

Jul 14, 2021
I appreciate the offer. I currently have my boat on a lift in the backyard. I go down to mud every 6 hours. The centerboard is cradled by two 2 by 6's so getting the boat up safely is not an issue. Is there of way of replacing the haul line without dropping the centerboard?

sullyd

Jul 14, 2021
When I get a chance I will scan the page of my Hunter manual to see how it compares to what you have experienced. Are there any other parts I may need while I have the centerboard dropped? This is no doubt a 3 to 4 person job correct? If necessary I would consider a haul out in the self help yard on the Cooper or Safe Harbour depending on the price to haul it out. I posted a photo of where my boat sits. This was from the last big tide/storm that ran up the coast last hurricane season.

Attachments

sullyd

Jul 14, 2021
Again, I very much appreciate your help and knowledge with this. I have attached the keel diagrams from my manual. Is this similar to your configuration? I know your centerboard looks sightly different. My concerns would be with its weight. Did you replace any other parts when you replace your haul line?

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
dgreen1991 told me he replaced the centerboard line in his H26 in his driveway by himself. See if he will respond to a message and give you advice.

Sep 17, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Charleston, SC
I'm also in Charleston, and would be happy to help. Would be nice to meet some other owners in the area.

-Z

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@sullyd

First, safety is a factor. Trying to save a buck is foolish. Have the boat lifted.

The installation of a new 7/16 inch line for your centerboard is the same for all hunter water ballast boats. Information in the owners manual coupled with installation by Rgranger directions is the way you should consider. I was involved with the design of your boat. In fact I am the bald headed with gray hair felllow in the pictures. If @rgranger and @Kermit are willing to come and help you, take them at their offer. I taught them.

They have my contact should any questions come up