retractable bowsprit

eberns

Aug 29, 2009
catalina mkII RI
I have a Catalina 28 mkII circ 2003. I am interested in installing a Selden after market bowsprit kit because I single-hand and feel it would be easier to fly an asym with this top-down furling system to decrease time out of cockpit. Does anyone have experience doing this and given deck layout, how would the bowsprit be placed so as not to block the forward anchor hatch?

thanks!
Eman

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I have a Catalina 28 mkII circ 2003. I am interested in installing a Selden after market bowsprit kit because I single-hand and feel it would be easier to fly an asym with this top-down furling system to decrease time out of cockpit. Does anyone have experience doing this and given deck layout, how would the bowsprit be placed so as not to block the forward anchor hatch?

thanks!
Eman
:plus:on a furling system. It rocks.

See @Meriachee's posts here at SBO and on his blog. E.g. Sprit City and the links backward from there. His work is amazing!

If you can't figure out how to make the Selden-style pole work, you might also look at the A-frame designs from Trogear (C-sprit also made a similar design, but it looks like they might have gone out of business). Or... if you're really desperate for punishment (and don't care about aesthetics), you can look at my similar design. Sailing and restoring #9874 and following posts.

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
Another option would be a Trogear bowsprit. It won't block the anchor locker. There's one for sale in the classified section.

Jun 2, 2018
Catalina 28 mk ii Port Orchard
Another option would be a Trogear bowsprit. It won't block the anchor locker. There's one for sale in the classified section.
wow, that looks awesome. I also have a Cat 28 mk ii (2008), and would like to add an asymm furler for single handling.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
wow, that looks awesome. I also have a Cat 28 mk ii (2008), and would like to add an asymm furler for single handling.
A furler on a sprit is a great system!

My advice is to mock up the A-frame (e.g. with wrapping-paper tubes or PVC pipe) and measure the length you need to clear the bow pulpit (and anchor roller if you have one). Trogear sprits come in several lengths, and different load ratings. For a 28 footer, I'd guess you probably don't need their heaviest for strength, but you might find you need one longer than the minimum to furl the sail without catching it on something. I also moved my bow navigation light a bit to keep it clear. But I think that might not be an issue for you on your -28.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Definitely need to do a mock-up with PVC... great idea!

the Cat28 mk ii has an asymmetric anchor roller, and the anchor and/or roller may interfere with the a-frame bowsprit.
I couldn't figure out a way to avoid interfering with the anchor, so I planned mine so I could pull the sprit off quickly to anchor (See the start of the thread and removal process, followed by a picture that might help it make more sense). It usually takes me a minute or two to remove the sprit; I think I could do it in 15-30 seconds if I was in a hurry to get the anchor out (and wasn't taking care to avoid banging things on the deck).

You have a little more room than I do on a C-22, so you might be able to arrange a system that lets you anchor with the sprit in place. Perhaps if your roller is low enough that you can put the sprit above it (my roll-bar anchor interfered with that - a newer design like the Mantus M2 might be better). If so, you'd probably want a snap shackle to release the bobstay, to keep it out of the way of the anchor rode. Then, anchoring would be 1) Release bobstay; 2) (possibly) Rotate sprit upward a bit (if you tension it upward with shock cord, that would be automatic when the bobstay is released); 3) Drop anchor as normal.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston

thanks!
Eman
Would it be possible to change how the hatch is secured? Move the hinge the other side etc.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The 270 and the 28(s) are almost identical. The pole only puts downward pressure on it, and in testing, we (foolishly) held the pole with the kite out. Conclusion is that its an over blown issue.
No pun intended. :)

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
The Trogear sprit can be pivoted up to clear the anchor and rode. The bobstay would be rigged as an adjustable type and not a fixed one. Just loosen the bobstay and pivot the sprit up and out of the way. If you wanted to remove the sprit completely, you would only have to unscrew two bolts. Seems pretty easy to rig.