Restored Telstar 28 Launch!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
A plus and you were meticolus to make sure repairs done correctly. A good example, some yards would have simply glassed over the voids and you took the time to fill them like a professional. Thank you for that video.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I've been watching but 50k is a bit too much right now. Glad I know about the advantages so gives me something to keep an eye out for now.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I've been watching but 50k is a bit too much right now. Glad I know about the advantages so gives me something to keep an eye out for now.
Nothing buys a boat like cash in hand. These are not complex boats: small water system, little electrical, outboard motor. Look over it closely to find the flaws and use those to lower the price. I showed the guy in a few minutes that I would need to do a complete restoration of the systems, gel coat, interior, 12 year old rigging to replace, etc. to justify my price. I was honest. Truly, it was not a steal because I have a lot of sweat equity into it, and I have a lot of parts and materials too. The most important thing is to end up with the boat you want.
If you decide to look at one, look at the forums for problems people have had. Then you will know what to look for. Then you will know how to reduce the price. You can ask me too. In less than a year, I have a lot of experience with the boat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@agprice22
It is awesome that you are willing to help and share with others your experience as others on this site. Thank you. However, my condolences to having to hear a green frog croaking in your prescence. Kermit is actually a funny sailor to be around When he drinks that green grog grue. Take care
Crazy daveANN and Dave.jpg I be the ugly one without hair

Aug 7, 2011
MacGregor 26S Lakeland, FL
Thank you for taking an interest!
I watched your videos, and am very interested in how the boat sails, how you have it set up, how you overnight and what you've done with the interior as well. I'll probably even start lurking on the Telstar forum you posted, just to educate myself more. I keep saying that the Telstar 28 would likely be my next boat up from my Mac 26S, if I ever replace it.

Aug 3, 2012
The Telstar sails really well on all points. She has 525 sq ft of sail normally. We added an Asymmetrical Spinnaker, and we plan to add a Screecher. The boat has an extendable bowsprit for flying the Spinnaker and Screecher.

The tiller extended through about 3/4 of the cockpit. I, and many other owners, shortened it shortly after we began to sail it.

The winches are 2 speed, self-tailing. The primary winches are on the cabin top. I thought I and my wife would not like it. However, it places the winches and the person grinding them out of the way, so we have realized we like it! The genoa sheets have to be turned on blocks at the forward end of the stern pulpit to run true to the winches without rubbing on the cabin sides. The boat came with a 150 genoa. It is huge. My wife and I have both noted that we could use larger winches.

The boom is end-sheeted which I like. It keeps the main sheet out of the way. The traveler arcs around the transom. It is long. However, it comes with pin stops, which I dislike. I rigged line controls for the traveler car by our third sail.

The spinnaker sheets are led outboard of the boat to turning blocks on the stern quarter of the outriggers. There is no winch for them, although I suppose you could just grind them on the primary winches. I cleat them on horn cleats just aft of the traveler on the stern. I am new to the Spinnaker, so that may change with experience. We had the boat going 9 mph on a broad reach under Spinnaker last week , and it was still easy to tack.

The boat is LIGHT. When the genoa catches the wind, you can actually feel acceleration! So far, everyone who has felt it says, "wooohoooo!"
We have had the boat up to 14 mph. Compared to my 272, that is blindingly fast. Sailing on a 1 mile wide lake means you do a lot more work than sailing a slower boat. I guess we could reduce sail and go slower. Really? Haha!

The boat sails backward better than any boat I have ever sailed. That is because it will easily stall in a turn. It has no momentum. You have to be careful not to turn too hard. I usually come through the turn well past my point and then trim as I point up again. As you point up, she takes off!

The boat will fly a hull in 10 knots of wind. She only heels about 5-8 degrees to do it. I don't even have an inclinometer on it. She doesn't get weather helm. When the wind blows harder, she just goes faster. I have not had her round up, but I haven't been hit by a really big gust yet.

She is stable. At the dock, she moves a fraction of the other boats in any waves. In the water, she doesn't roll like a monohull. She stays flat when taking swells, chop, or wake from any direction other the bow or stern. Even then she stays pretty calm.

She is a wet boat. In a swell, you can get spray over the outriggers.

The interior is pretty nice. It is smaller, but we modified it to have a queen bed in the salon. We installed a bigger sink, electric water pump, water bladder in the stern to replace the tank, and we removed the head and holding bladder to remove the weight and simplify. We use a portable toilet which in our experience we rarely use at the lake.

In all, we are happy we made the switch. My wife tells me she is relieved that we can sail with no heel. She said she is not nervous for the first time. I am happy too! The speed alone is really cool. Additionally, the boat turns heads!

Thanks!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I use my primary winches for the assymetrical spinnaker. You just need sheets long enough to make the turn and reach them. The general rule of thumb is twice the length of the boat. (Your mileage may vary.)

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Here is a little sailing action from today:

Wow, what a day huh? Best winds we had all season on Cayuga. Sorry we didn't join you today. Just got back ourselves. Haven't had to reef this season until today, looks like you chose that as well. I recorded a few 20+ Kts puffs. On one particular, early day, up lake reach, with full sails, the GPS stated 6.9 for SOG. I got goose bumps. THS is 5.5. You must have topped that by 3X? I chickened out on the return, reefed head and main, and still got everyone wet with bow spray.
Not an unhappy face in the crew. See ya soon!

Aug 3, 2012
Cool! Today was fun! We had the leeward outrigger buried to the gunwale and the windward hull flying 2 feet! It was crazy!

Aug 3, 2012
And there is no shame in reefing in a gear-busting gail. We reefed. We still went fast.

Aug 3, 2012
If you keep the boat on its feet, it is faster.